Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2016, 11:00   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Crewing on deliveries, help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo View Post
so if he agrees to take me on-board, I should not trust his judgment and stay...
Catch 22.
It reminds me when I came to Canada years ago facing experience-employment issue (still an issue); one couldn't get one without the other.

What's you advice then?
Guess I am a complete fool or an idiot or something because I used to hire green crew for deliveries all the time. Usually friends but often friends of friends, some I had never met before. On some trips I was the only one onboard that was experienced. For smaller boats and shorter trips that was fine with me.

I mainly wanted someone that would stay awake, keep watch and wake me if anything (emphasis on ANYTHINHG) happened. Never had a problem and made a few good friends that way,

In your shoes my main concerns would be.

1. Is the boat in good condition and properly equipped.

2. Is the captain (and any other crew) sane, competent and compatible. I'm not joking when I say sane. It has happened that people have gone to crew on boats where that captain turned out to be a bit of a wacko.

3. Get a clear and detailed understanding of the rights, obligations, expectations, etc, etc, etc of all parties. Are your expenses paid? Are you expected to pay a share of boat expenses? Who pays airfare? What happens if you or captain or crew or boat has a problem and the trip is interrupted?

The first one, for a newbie, might be one of the more difficult to determine but you can probably get a feel for that by the overall condition and appearance of the boat. If going far offshore ask about liferafts,EPIRBs, weather comms.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 11:06   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
That's a very different situation than mine. I am being entrusted with someone else's vessel, often worth several hundred thousand dollars, a few times into the low millions. They expect (and get) a thoroughly experienced and reliable crew.

While I would never take a boat out in dangerous conditions, on delivery I often go when others stay at the dock. In rough weather I need to be able to sleep without worrying about the newb. I need someone who can helm in rough seas while I bleed an engine, I need someone who can change fuel filters or impellers when things get stinky.
I doubt that we would disagree on most of these points. My long passages are hardly gentle lake cruises -- we sail through squalls and through some (sometimes) pretty rough waters. It can be quite unpredictable sailing from Hawaii to the US mainland.

I usually have three crew plus me, so we can still take care of the boat should a crewmember prove not up to snuff.

And yes, if I were being paid to deliver someone else's boat, I would generally take experienced crew.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 11:08   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good day, Kaz,

You're starting in an interesting place. This "blind date" is the same for each of you, neither knows the other. The skipper will want to know if he or she can trust you to follow orders without question when it matters, and all you have is experience in the MacGregor 26 in all kinds of weather. Just go talk to the man and see if you think it will go okay. You've talked to a lot of people in your life, and pretty soon your gut will warn you off or give you the go ahead.

I put a lot of trust in my intuitive responses to people, and that approach would work for me.

UNCIVILIZED has done heaps of crewing for others. Me, I'd want to see the boat, how it's set up, and what kind of condition it's in. He has jumped in without that kind of pre-knowledge. I'd pay attention to that. He suggested bringing spares that would help you to be psychologically accepted as a member of the "team," practical, and get you perceived as a nice guy, too.

Expect a dry boat while under way, although some skippers permit a little. One of the horror stories I have related here on CF in the past is of an alcoholic skipper who insisted on being custodian of his crew's passports. Now, he had three crew. The two guys managed to find where he kept them, and got theirs, and jumped ship, leaving the young woman crew to fend for herself. Clearly not a happy ship. And she wound up being slave labour till she escaped and got the police involved in Tahiti. She was trapped with the scumbag skipper for months. Awful. My point being, there are some dangers involved in being crew for an unknown skipper. You will be accepting them, in exchange for ocean time. Good luck.

I think it is awareness of the hazards that led boatpoker to suggest the sailing clubs route. I suspect this is the slack season in the Northern Hemisphere, , but it is by far less risky to crew for people you already have met or been introduced to by someone you trust.

Good luck. I hope the skipper is competent and you get along well together. From his perspective, he is taking a risk in taking on crew previously unknown to himself.

Enjoy -- and learn from -- the interview.

Ann
Old 13-12-2016, 13:04   #19

Boat: MacGregor 26S

thanks Paul and Ann for optimistic message and info.
Will post about my meeting...
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 07:00   #20

Quote:
thanks Paul and Ann for optimistic message and info.
Will post about my meeting...
..and to all others that kindly chipped in.
Old 14-12-2016, 08:14   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Here are a few questions I would ask BEFORE going:

-will there be smoking aboard?
-will there be drinking aboard?
-will you have "off watch" time to relax/sleep?
-how many meals per day, and what sort?
-are you expected to perform non-sailing tasks like boat maintenance/repair?
-who will cook? who will clean up? who will clean the head?

These questions may seem obvious, but they will begin conversations that need to be discussed.

I crewed across the atlantic. I knew the skipper. We had discussed smoking and drinking, and I was told there would be none aboard. When we got off the plane in spain (no turning back) he told me the other 2 crew were chain smokers. And somehow, we ended up with more booze aboard than food. I became the designated driver on a 4000 mile booze cruise. The rest of the crew drank heavily every single day. I lived on black beans and baked potatoes. I lost almost 40 pounds on the trip. Yes, the skipper lied to me because he wanted my experience...he said he could not go without me. The other crew were paid, and he expected them, and me, to "work" during daylight hours, cleaning, painting, repairing, etc. I stood watch every night from 11pm to 5am, and then was expected to get up at 7am to start "work". Obviously this was impossible.

Everyone is all smiles and sugar when planning. Be honest. Ask simple, direct questions. Consider how much you trust the skipper...is he lying to you? Remember, you are putting your life in his hands.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 17:26   #22

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Only advice, with the recognition that it may be too late: Don't oversell yourself, and do not overbuy the captain, the gig or the vessel. Protect yourself at all times. But sometimes a reasonable risk is needed. Good fortune and bon voyage.
Old 14-12-2016, 18:22   #23

OK, ladies and gentlemen...no show, related through a third party (that was arranging the meeting).
Rescheduling for next week.
But I met with my friend of similar predilections and goals and had a fruitful conversations opening some alternate avenues...
Will keep you posted.
Old 14-12-2016, 19:08   #24

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Kazo,

Sorry it has not worked out for you so far, but I am sure it will,

I cannot comment on the requirement of the professional delivery guys, that's not my league, but I can speak from the perspective of a private owner/delivery trip driver, I would be just a nervous about making the right impression to a prospective crew member as you are about making the right impression to the skipper.

I was lucky enough to be able to take people who were either friends, relations or even clients of my business (he helped pay for the boat in way when you think about it, so it seemed only fair to invite him along), so I did know them, but I also knew that I had no idea how they or I would behave once couped up in a tiny little boat bouncing up and down on the waves.

So what I am saying is don't over think things, look the skipper and the boat over without the rose-coloured-glasses of your obvious keenness to get sailing, and trust your feelings if you are getting alarm bells. There WILL be other opportunities, sooner or later, so if the skipper, or the boat, gives you any feeling of alarm, then just walk away and wait for the next boat.

Good luck, and try not to get seriously hooked. You don't have to read these forums for long to realise what a disaster that can be for your life.

Matt
Old 14-12-2016, 20:48   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Sorry to hear about the cancelation. But there will be other opportunities to get to sea. And once you get started, even if only day sails, then things will build from there geometrically. With perhaps the best thought being not to rule out any particular type of sailing offers or opportunities. You might find something that you'd not thought of which you really love.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 21:39   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
OK, ladies and gentlemen...no show, related through a third party (that was arranging the meeting).
Rescheduling for next week.
But I met with my friend of similar predilections and goals and had a fruitful conversations opening some alternate avenues...
Will keep you posted.
Actually that can be a plus, if you and your friend could both crew on a delivery together. A delivery I was on, the skipper had his brother there, both were highly skilled and then two guys who were sailing buddies from Boston were on the crew too. Since they already got along well things flowed smoothly and there were no personality conflicts. On that trip we also had a young gal who was crewing her way around the world and a guy from England doing the same. We all got along very well, but once the trip was over we had a few meals together, toasted each other and then went our separate ways...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 20:18   #27

created a profile on findacrew.net, and in 1/2hr reply was sent that may materialize in sailing in the spring, Honduras-Galapagos, uff da!, a bit overwhelming, thought of just wetting my feet .
Looks like there is more opportunities that I think/thought off.
Profile of the Captain inspires confidence.
Old 17-12-2016, 20:32   #28

Quote:
created a profile on findacrew.net, and in 1/2hr reply was sent that may materialize in sailing in the spring, Honduras-Galapagos, uff da!, a bit overwhelming, thought of just wetting my feet .
Looks like there is more opportunities that I think/thought off.
Profile of the Captain inspires confidence.
Congratulations! Best of luck and keep us posted. This is a great thread for folks interested in a good way to get sea time that is really productive and instructive.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-03-2017, 18:33   #29

update (I hate the dead-end threads).
So all the above efforts to get on-board fizzled out.

But a new development looks promising:it's conveying (beginning of May) a 60' Volvo yacht(!) from Bermuda to Halifax.
Equipe de Voile ATLAS
Not a boat that we aimed for, but looks like a good way to test our sea legs.

In the meantime, reading voraciously sometime to the point of saturation .
I would appreciate an advise on foulies given the fact that we'll sail in North Atlantic, but starting in Bermuda. Jacket, pants, boots, anything else?
I have a ProDeal (50% off) with Helly Hansen.
Quite excited!
Old 22-03-2017, 19:09   #30

Sounds great! Comfy and tough gloves and a watch cap that doesn't itch!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
crew, crewing