Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 00:32   #91

Re: Common Objects to Defend Your Boat at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Wearing a flak jacket or "bullet proof" vest always made me worry about all the important parts it didn't cover.

You don‘t have any important parts Ted. The rest of us have bulletproof underpants.
Old 21-09-2020, 01:04   #92

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastTrout View Post
The peaceful thing doesn’t always turn out well, if you end up below decks with them, or on land you end up in a car with them, your chance of a good outcome is quite low.

Secondly you need to consider that YOU are the valuable, sure you got some cash on the boat, but only your person will be able to get into your back accounts, and how much would your frantic parents and loved ones pay to get you back?

10 scum buckets, watch some of the videos of leftist mobs attacking random people in the US, most times when they attack someone who majorly fights back, and the first attackers head gets turned into a canoe the others scamper off. It’s just like discovery channel, when it seems the prey is going to be too costly, the hyenas look for other prey.

Also if you did have a encounter at sea with men who were attacking you, you defended yourself and the poor life choices permanently catch up with one of the would be attackers, who are you going to turn yourself in to? The local 3rd world police?

This is of course the way you conduct yourself while traversing the seas encountering new to you interesting people?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 21-09-2020, 01:10   #93
cruiser

Boat: 33 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
This is of course the way you conduct yourself while traversing the seas encountering new to you interesting people?
If the “new interesting people” try to attack me, yeah

You get what you give, thankfully most was warm and nice, I prefer everyone just getting along

Being happy and friendly is a better way to be, however that wasn’t the topic.
Old 21-09-2020, 01:16   #94

I thought the whole point of cruising was to relax and have a good time. If I felt i needed to have a side arm and tactical blade with me I'm probably not having a good time.

This reminds me of those guys on youtube who tell people you need to have a quick draw knife with a pocket clip while traveling mexico. He claimed he had to hold it to a taxi drivers neck because he thought he was taking him hostage.

I guess because I'm from the third world so my idea of a good time is relaxing at an anchorage in a fjord somewhere in norway. While jigging for some cod....
Old 21-09-2020, 01:23   #95

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
I thought the whole point of cruising was to relax and have a good time. If I felt i needed to have a side arm and tactical blade with me I'm probably not having a good time.

This reminds me of those guys on youtube who tell people you need to have a quick draw knife with a pocket clip while traveling mexico. He claimed he had to hold it to a taxi drivers neck because he thought he was taking him hostage.

I guess because I'm from the third world so my idea of a good time is relaxing at an anchorage in a fjord somewhere in norway. While jigging for some cod....
I reckon we are on the same page, Rambo I aint.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 21-09-2020, 01:33   #96

If I had to defend myself with a knife or a gun i'm probably ****ed. I'll admit that.

I'll buddy boat with the Texas boat.
Old 21-09-2020, 04:26   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:
Although pepper spray and bear spray contain the same active chemical, they are not the same thing. Bear spray has a much lower concentration of oleoresin capsicum (between 1% and 2% CRC), and should only be used as a bear deterrent.
Pepper spray is a self defense weapon intended to incapacitate human threats, and it is very effective at doing this, due to its higher concentration of oleoresin capsicum (± 3%CRC).

One reason you might see people carrying bear spray, for self defense, is that it’s legal in places where pepper spray isn’t*. It just isn’t as effective.

* In Canada, for instance, pepper spray (carried for the intention of personal protection) is considered a prohibited weapon by the Criminal Code, so it’s illegal.

Old 21-09-2020, 05:18   #98

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

For anyone who really feels a need for Mace or similar and wants to conceal this.
Get a small fire extinguisher and refill it with higher concentration of oleoresin capsicum (± 3%CRC).

Guess as long it looks like a standard extinguisher and feels like one, no-one would suspect it.

I don't think that sniffer dogs are trained for oleoresin capsicum.

Just don't mix them up in a case if fire. Ouch :-)
Old 21-09-2020, 05:47   #99

Let us look at this from a professional point of view.....

1) As a comedian, it is very funny some of the things folks come up with. Sailing with a bullet proof vest ie "a human body anchor" really cracks me up.

2) As a person who has studied both Karate and Okinawan Kobudo (study of primitive weapons) for over 50 years, everything is a weapon in the right hands....everything.

3) As an ex soldier, Paratrooper, Infantry, Amphibious Warfare Expert, Arctic Warfare Expert, and Jungle Warfare Expert to include many small arms including pistols, Ar's, AK's, light machine guns and a variety of explosive devices there is much humor in thinking that I would go anywhere unarmed. I'll take my chances with the law and those that enforce it.

4) As a Veteran Law Enforcement Instructor, I am Certified as an Expert with both Pistols and Shotguns as are most LEO's. I am always armed. Always.

5) As a civilian, I am of course a non felon, and a licensed Conceal Carry permit holder. Of course this is never a license to carry the World over, but I have been boarded several times over the years and have never been body searched, not ever. Again, I am always armed. If asked if I have weapons aboard I will be honest except for my concealed weapon, as I would rather be caught by the Law with it, than caught by a bad guy without it. My choice, and I will live with the consequences.

Also, I am a law abiding citizen of the US, and will stand on my record, my qualifications, and my rights under the law.....when I can. But I am always armed even naked.......its just the way I have lived my life. These are my experiences, and what I am experienced in.

Now keep in mind if I need a mechanic, I want an experienced one. If I need a doctor, I want an experienced one. If I need anything, I want someone with experience if at all possible.

If I am approached by a boat offshore I suggest that you understand the situation well before being closely approached.

If there are no visible weapons then we are both in the same situation. If they pull out a weapon I will respond in kind and we will have a gun fight. I'm okay with that, you might not be. I have long ago made that situation acceptable, and can live with the consequences. I am going to hope my experience and skill is better than theirs....you might have to explore your own level of experience in order to survive. many times you might just give up what they want.

But what if they want your wife? What then? Still playing the same game? You see even armed I do NOT have to pull/show a weapon if they do not do so. Maybe they just want to sell me a fish. In that case, I'll buy a fish!

Will I let them board my boat.....absolutely NOT. That won't happen when I am standing there. Will I invite them on my boat....hell no. We can do business boat to boat......thats it.

Set your rules in the firsthand......live or die by them. Be the best human you can be. Always, always be ready, be prepared, be trained and experienced, and most of all be adequately provisioned for any and all circumstances.

I have always taught my students (thousands of them) that you can still be smiling when you go into action, and likely that gives you a small advantage timewise in face to face combat. They will be reading your face long before and after they ever see your body moving. Just the way the brain works.

As far as nightime stealy boys.....well heck they been doing that for hundreds of years, so keep your decks clear of valuables, keep the doors locked, and always have a gun port (3 inch square) installed in your doorway just in case. Other than a violent break in, they can have what little was left out.

Last but not least......Don't go places where you know trouble lies. Just don't. There are too many other places to go. But be prepared for anything. Even a whole lotta fun and relaxation. Don't think that is not possible. Soldiers been going from constant combat to an R&R on the Beach for years, and the transition is easy for a pro to do. Just know where you are, and keep a watchful eye. Always.

And relax. That is "the" secret to the most capable defender....the ability to relax. When you are truly prepared, you can truly relax.
Old 21-09-2020, 06:14   #100

Boat: challenger 32,

Take an empty fire extinguisher and purchase extremely hot peper powder from SF hereb co online. Take both to refil place and ask them to put the pepper powder in extuingsher. They will want to know why, so explain to repel boarders on you boat in an emergency. The will do it for you.

When finished put a band of black tape around middle of extinguisher to tell you that it is not an extinguisher....verh verh handy when some one is trying to come aboard....and no problem with legal issues.....I hand one for 20 years cruising in the pacific islands...fortunately never had to use it.

I submitted article to SAIL magazine. The declined it. BUt did publish it without my credit and never paid me for it.
Old 21-09-2020, 06:27   #101

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Funny enough I had the same idea few postings enough.
Now if everyone does this, they'll start checking on extinguishers :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussvdharma View Post
Take an empty fire extinguisher and purchase extremely hot peper powder from SF hereb co online. Take both to refil place and ask them to put the pepper powder in extuingsher. They will want to know why, so explain to repel boarders on you boat in an emergency. The will do it for you.

When finished put a band of black tape around middle of extinguisher to tell you that it is not an extinguisher....verh verh handy when some one is trying to come aboard....and no problem with legal issues.....I hand one for 20 years cruising in the pacific islands...fortunately never had to use it.

I submitted article to SAIL magazine. The declined it. BUt did publish it without my credit and never paid me for it.
Old 21-09-2020, 06:44   #102

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussvdharma View Post

It’s good to know that they adhere to standard journalistic practices.
Old 21-09-2020, 08:24   #103

Boat: Rafiki 37

These discussion are always fascinating, not for the purported solutions to "what common objects to defend your boat" are, but rather as an illustration of who here sees the world as a scary place vs those who see it as a wonderful place.

I suppose if you come from a culture that glorifies violence, and is in fact quite brutal in places, then it makes sense you will carry this approach to sea. To you folks I say, look up and see the world for what it is, not what the flat screen is screaming at you.

There are indeed very dangerous and scary places. These places are largely known. But the world is a big place. Cruising is supposed to be enjoyable, so why would you go to these dangerous places? If you have no choice, then equip yourself accordingly, but for the vast majority of us, there is no need to purposely put ourselves in these spaces.

The rest is just crime, which can happen everywhere. These folks don't want you, they want your cash-convertible bobbles. Most property crimes are opportunistic, so don't give them the opportunity. The few that are planned will be done with odds stacked well in the criminals. Escalating the violence in these cases will likely lead to a bad end -- for you.
Old 21-09-2020, 21:46   #104

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

As a(nother military and civilian) trained and certified firearm/personal protection instructor, I think poster "jdege" closing comment is spot on and bears repeating:

Quote:

Weapons, whether you a choose a firearm, pepper spray, diving knives, heavy skillets, or whatever, should be your third level contingency, not what you start with.

Well stated. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

I am also in Mike O'Rourke's 'camp' when it comes to "Why would you sail in pirate infested waters? Why?" But in the interest of full disclosure I am a recreational sailor who only spends a fraction of the time on the water compared to live aboard, full time cruisers.

That said, there are (IMO) 'questionable' less-than-lethal options for protection aboard, starting with bear / pepper spray (or false fire extinguishers filled with pepper-powder). While that might seem like a good idea, I can assure you (based on personal experience) the last thing you want to in a closed area like the cabin is to touch one of those off (unless you are wearing a military grade gas mask). The other item is the baseball bat. While it might be sufficient to use topside, the tight quarters in the cabin will limit one's ability to wield it effectively. Lastly (and in deference to the poster lest their comment was tongue-in-cheek) bleach in a 'squirt-gun' is a really bad idea. Personally? I'd rather not rely on a toy to protect myself. There are however some 'nuggets' in those comments worth considering.

Instead of a bat, I'd opt for a 'fish-billy', a hardwood stick about 3' long with a uniform diameter of 2" or so, the ends rounded to a blunt point, used to wack boated fish in the head. The advantage over a bat is that you can grab the 'billy' by the middle, and use it as a short club, also jab and stab (hence the 'pointed' ends). It's far more versatile than a bat. A second option, (and I carried one for years when I traveled) is a 5 or 6 cell Mag-lite (or equivalent). It makes a very effective weighted club and can be lethal if blows are directed to the head. Another simple but effective bludgeon weapon is a full bar of soap tied into the end of a sock.

And while a squirt-gun isn't an appropriate 'weapon', an industrial spray bottle filled with bleach, ammonia, or ? could be. It would have far more range, deliver a heavier 'dose' per squirt, and has vastly more capacity that a toy.

But (again IMO) the best thing you can do is: don't go there in the first place, and if that is not an option, then (as mentioned by others) fall back on 'security in numbers', and make yourself as unattractive a target as possible.
Old 21-09-2020, 21:50   #105

Boat: Union cutter 33

Pirates are everywhere here in PNW just went to shore for 2 hrs to come back to my boat with companion doors kicked in missing a Mac laptop camera gear a bottle of Johnny walker blue scotch thieves and pirates are everywhere
Closed Thread

Tags
boat