Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2020, 09:21   #1

Boat: cal 29
Commandeered to Cuba

I had been sailing tandem for 5 months with one whom I believed to have gotten to know. On June 11 2020 we set sail on my vessel,for Costa Rica via Jamaica where I reside. 4 days into the voyage this person commandeered my vessel, Dancin Lions. During 3 days I locked myself inside the berth with canned food and water, armed with a spear gun and a knife. On the night of the 4th day, (0130 hrs) he called my name. I could not see him in the cabin or cockpit. Upon attempting to open the door, I realized it had been jammed to prevent my exit. I quickly forced open the door to see Tyler floating away in my dinghy.

I realized that I was 300 yards off shore in 50 ft of water. The anchor had been jammed, and I discovered that the jib sheet had been allowed to be wrapped around the propeller. I was eventually able to un-jam the anchor and set it with a scope of 3x, hardly enough due to the winds.

The location was Los Cocos, Near Puerto Padre ,Cuba, next to a wind farm for electricity.
Upon day break I realized that the halyards had been set free and were tangled in the mast, the gooseneck had broken, because the preventors had been released, water in the cabin was coming from the bilge as the pump wiring had been cut, the tiller bolts had also been removed.
Once I felt in control again, I set off my MMSI signal, and was responded to by the Cuban Coast Guard. Several hours later they arrived and towed me to Bahia de Vita, where the vessel lies, confiscated by the Cuban authorities.

I have now been in Cuba for several weeks, of which, not a day has been exactly comfortable.

I have secured a seat on a humanitarian flight to Ft Lauderdale on the 6 of July.

Should anyone have more interest in my story, or the good will to help me save my cal 29, the Dancin Lions, please feel free to contact me at: bpeerson@hotmail.com, I could surely use some help and/or advise.
Good day, and be wary.
billpeerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 15:17   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Commandeered to Cuba

Hmm.

Locked yourself in, did you?

Sorry, sir, I'm finding some of the details of your story very difficult to believe, specifically as relates to the reported sabotage.

However, there is a US embassy in Cuba, perhaps you could secure help there.

I think you've picked a bad time in history to be asking for donations to pay your fines. Your vessel entered their country without permission from Customs, and you are subject to their laws. Maybe you can throw yourself on their mercy, but you're lucky to be being repatriated at no cost to yourself.

I'm aware this may sound harsh, but so are the realities.

If your report is accurate, perhaps throwing yourself on the Cubans' mercy will actually work, the damage done to the boat may speak eloquently to them. ...Or, they may think sending you home safe and sound is enough. They are not a wealthy nation.

JPA Cate
Old 04-07-2020, 15:29   #3

Boat: Hanse 430e

[IMG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3S_yittWKj8/SSxduPNre7I/AAAAAAAAAts/Oz5mXCv8LfU/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/not_this_****_again_thumb[2].jpg?imgmax=800[/IMG]
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 15:35   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
[IMG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_3S_yittWKj8/SSxduPNre7I/AAAAAAAAAts/Oz5mXCv8LfU/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/not_this_****_again_thumb[2].jpg?imgmax=800[/IMG]
hallllooooo whatzis....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 17:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hallllooooo whatzis....

A failed attempt to insert an image:

For some reason you can see the image when creating the post but when you save it, the URL is breaking the vBulletin parser.
This is the image.
Attached Images

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 17:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I see no reason to disbelieve his message, but I do have several questions:
Why did Tyler want to go to Cuba? How are the authorities treating him?
How did he "commandeer" the boat? Did he force you into a cabin and toss in a spear gun and knife? I mean, who keeps spear guns in the cabin?
If you were able to "quickly force the door open" when you did, why not force it open sooner? You had a spear gun and a knife after all. Even pirates gotta sleep.
You'll forgive us if it sounds kind of fishy, but the paucity of detail really sheds doubt, especially if you're in need of donations. How will you get the impound money to the Cuban authorities once you're 'stateside? Will you even be allowed back during the pandemic even if you scrape the cash together?
Old 04-07-2020, 18:36   #7

I smell FISH!

This guy is coming off as a scammer.... even asked for personal contact information in another thread.
Old 04-07-2020, 19:35   #8

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

It would be very difficult to know whether Tyler is the scammer or the OP is instead - and there is a distinct possibility it is a 3rd as yet un-guessed option. Either way this is just bizarre. If it were me (and we assume the story is true) I would never have let him control the vessel for 3 days, unless there was a firearm aboard. A spear gun makes a dandy stand-off weapon, and he had a knife as well. There are just too many holes in the story to be certain of anything.

As for the requested contact details, he was only asking for a phone number to call a member; I would not consider that alone much of anything but naivete regarding internet security. Better to have started a PM discussion first, then continue on phone if offered. Minor issue.

Re-posting the same content on a new thread is not great netiquette, but another poster recommended that he start a new thread. And whatever this is, it should have started out as a new thread in the first place. Also a minor issue.

The third, again fairly minor issue, is that aside from the few posts on this topic in the last day the only posts from the OP were to sell a couple of items two years ago, and a lone post that would be considered a contribution. It is one thing to help out active members who find themselves in trouble, but in this case I don't feel a connection. YMMV.

Assuming again that this is accurate, then I think the only way forward is to stay connected with the Cuban government, and ask for contacts now (before leaving). Sometimes personal letters can have an effect. A Cal 29 is not worth much these days, and lawyers and consultants don't come cheap. It is easy enough to imagine spending more than the boat is worth to recover her. Another direction to take is to go after Tyler - if the story is accurate then he is guilty of mutiny and could be charged in Cuba or the US (assuming the boat is flagged in the US). With a conviction it should be possible to convince the Cubans to release the boat. Without a serious attempt to get that conviction it will be very hard to get anyone to believe the story, and until the Cubans think they have gotten to the bottom of it I wouldn't count on their cooperation. Perhaps upon arriving in Miami a trip to the USCG office is in order, for the purpose of filing a complaint against Tyler for mutiny. Otherwise this is all just BS, isn't it?

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 19:45   #9

Scam?? Not so. If only you knew! I could have killed the s.o.b but that would be hard to explain.
Benz,
When he did sleep is when I went to self preservation mode. I can afford to lose my boat, although after 3 months of restorations I am fond of her. Maritime law is the help I need most.
Sceptisism is natural but also cynical. Hurricane season is upon us, can't sail anytime soon. As a Costa Rican resident, I can return
The course was near the hurricane flats to Jamaica,then C. R.
Why Tyler Westbrook would do such a thing befuddles me, perhaps a psychiatrist could.
Saleen,
What is wrong with asking for a personal contact? Paranoid?
Zeehag,
It is the sad truth.
StuM,
How original!
To all,
Watch out for a Fisher 29, in Key Largo named Osprey, could cost you your life!
Thank you all for the great advice.
Bill
Old 04-07-2020, 20:02   #10

Greg,
You sir are correct on all accounts. I will in fact be contacting the USCG asap.
Cuban authorities are unwilling to create an international incident.., or provide any help. Not even the fees involved. I have asked the US embassy for assistance.
I appreciate your open mind!
Bill
Old 04-07-2020, 20:27   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

IIUC this is a dispute between two US citizens, which the Cuban government wants no part of. Fair enough. Finding Tyler guilty of mutiny might create some real problems for them. The only potential source of justice is the USCG, and if the boat was flagged in Costa Rica they might not have jurisdiction. The only answer, short of hiring expensive lawyers, is to talk with the USCG about mutiny. As far as the Cubans go, the boat entered their country illegally and if their laws allow they can confiscate it. Until you can prove that you were not in command when that happened you don't have much of an argument - it would be helpful to know what Tyler is saying. Laws aside, in the real world you need a sympathetic ear in the Cuban government and enough "evidence" of one sort or another to get them to believe your story.

Given that you appeared to be better armed than Tyler, and had 3 days to regain control of the vessel, the failure to do so is a bit damning on its own. Admittedly it is a bit of a lose-lose situation, as injuring or killing Tyler would have had its own problems and might have landed you in an unpleasant tropical jail. Still I believe that you should have tried, and shot the SOB with the spear gun if needed. You are allowed to put down a violent mutiny with violence - but you better be able to prove it.

BTW Zee was asking about the screwed-up attachment - I don't see any other post from her. She is not deserving of your criticism.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 20:28   #12

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Where do you suppose Tyler went in the dinghy?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 20:49   #13

People, I'm putting my two cents in. As co owner of Dancing Lions. Everything Bill is saying is true and documented by video and pictures. I have the material in my possession. The vessel has not made it to it's final destination , Costa Rica, so it's still flagged in the US. Right now we're just trying to get my partner back to the US. We'll still have to figure out how to get it out of Cuba, and hopefully to port in Costa Rica. Any ideas or assistance in that regard will be appreciated.
gandoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 21:01   #14

Greg,
The vessel is registered in Va., Yet to be flagged in C.R. The Coast Guard will be involved. Thanks for the ( mutiny) aspect.
Bill
Old 04-07-2020, 21:06   #15

Snort,
I saw him touch shore when he turned on his torch. He is in the same hotel as I at this moment. I will have to be on the same flight to Florida. It's been a very uncomfortable 10 days in Havana!
Bill

Tags
Cuba