Old 20-01-2015, 11:27   #61
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Coastal cruising equipment and accessories

seen the mosquito netting a couple of times now; added it to the list
Old 20-01-2015, 11:51   #62

Boat: Camano Troll

Realizing that no one list will suit everyone and some folks are talking about boat items and others about convenience or comfort items, let me add one thought.

We figured out that the recently introduced laundry detergent "pods" are the perfect thing for carrying on board for doing laundry in marinas or laundromats. No box that leaks and no bottles half full and no measuring. They are available in the laundry detergent aisle.
Old 20-01-2015, 14:55   #63

Boat: Pearson 34-II

And no one has mentioned:
Russian Standard Vodka
Pusser's 15 yo Rum
Balvenie Single Malt Scotch
Cohiba Robustos-Cuban
Wagner, Bach, Beethoven, Hayden
Chet Baker, John Coltrane, Dexter Gordon, Billy Hartmann
Joseph Conrad, Sartre, Nietzsche, Hemingway, Graham Greene
The unending pleasures of an intelligent Femme Fatale . . .
AND YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT ANCHORS????????????????????????????
Old 20-01-2015, 15:13   #64

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

The only essential modification that any vessel needs to go cruising is to drop the mooring...

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 15:54   #65

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Your radar and AP are going to make pretty big demands on batteries. Wind gen and solar.
The new fmcw radar could help dramatically drop the load from the radar.
Old 20-01-2015, 16:22   #66

autopilot
watermaker
bimini/dodger
electric windlass
hi amp alternator

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 07:42   #67

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Next year I plan to quit working, sell the house, and cruise full time. I plan to spend the first years cruising the Eastern US coast, The Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico. I consider all of this really just coastal cruising.

Currently I'm only planning 1 boat upgrade before leaving since there are lots of opportunity to buy stuff as needed so it is best to wait to verify that something really has a need. But if you have/were doing the same trip, what equipment and upgrades would you put on your boat?
I would venture to say that the proposed sailing itinerary asks for preparation very similar to blue water cruising.
Old 26-01-2015, 22:33   #68

Boat: 1986 Oday 35'

A good auto-pilot is very important and be sure your electrical system is up to par. Fair winds and good sailing!

S/V Shamwari
Sailing Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 23:21   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Mark,
We have two, both manufactured by Ocean Craft in Australia. We have a heavy duty 3.3 with a 25hp Enduro Yamaha and the kids have a 2.6 with an Enduro 15hp. These boats are deep vee hulls, 100% aliminium, with a very broad beam giving heaps of internal space. They also go like stink. We also have Yamaha Malta 3.5hp engines for when we want to putter around which is 90% of the time. Our previous tender was an AB with an ali hull and that was brilliant but these Ocean Craft are just amazing, and no UV to worry about. The tubes do not get too hot either. We selected them as they are very robust, economical to run, very quick and get on the plane easily and have a soft ride plus would do duty as a life boat. We have fitted them both with canopies. This is the website: Ocean Craft All aluminium inflatable style, cylinder craft, oceancraft boat builder,high speed military vessels used as coastal patrol boats intercept vessels and certified military vessels Caloundra, manufacturers, leisure, recreation, travel, trans
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 07:09   #70

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi Mark,
We have two, both manufactured by Ocean Craft in Australia. We have a heavy duty 3.3 with a 25hp Enduro Yamaha and the kids have a 2.6 with an Enduro 15hp. These boats are deep vee hulls, 100% aliminium, with a very broad beam giving heaps of internal space. They also go like stink. We also have Yamaha Malta 3.5hp engines for when we want to putter around which is 90% of the time. Our previous tender was an AB with an ali hull and that was brilliant but these Ocean Craft are just amazing, and no UV to worry about. The tubes do not get too hot either. We selected them as they are very robust, economical to run, very quick and get on the plane easily and have a soft ride plus would do duty as a life boat. We have fitted them both with canopies. This is the website: Ocean Craft All aluminium inflatable style, cylinder craft, oceancraft boat builder,high speed military vessels used as coastal patrol boats intercept vessels and certified military vessels Caloundra, manufacturers, leisure, recreation, travel, trans
OK, as I thought, this is not an inflatable boat. That website is a colossal mess, so it is difficult to find any information on it - but nowhere could I find these were certified as lifeboats. They advertise them as "safety boats", but this seems solely to be a label based on them being unsinkable when one gets the optional filled with foam models - and not any type of certification or claim of usage.

Additionally, all the pictures, and model types, of those being used for workboats, SAR, etc are much larger than 3.3 meters. This is no different than any other inflatable used by these organizations - they are not the models typically chosen by cruisers.

The original point I was making here was about relying on a 8-10' inflatable as a liferaft substitute. I would venture that even the similar-sized 2.5 meter version of this boat would be tenuous in a liferaft situation in anything but calm seas. Particularly if one normally travelled with it lashed upside down to the deck.

I'm happy you enjoy your dinghy, and are personally comfortable using it as a liferaft substitute, but to draw a broad parallel to this usage for all inflatables is a non-sequitar - if not irresponsible.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:23   #71
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I would venture to say that the proposed sailing itinerary asks for preparation very similar to blue water cruising.
Why??
Old 11-02-2015, 07:32   #72

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
autopilot
watermaker
bimini/dodger
electric windlass
hi amp alternator
Personally, I wouldn't go to Mexico without all of the above, except perhaps the watermaker IF you carried way over 100 gal of water and preferably more. Sure, some boats don't have an electric windlass but you tend to avoid putting out enough chain in that case and that is not a good thing. I don't remember anyone who had a manual windlass was happy with that after they got away from home.

You absolutely MUST have a good bimini/dodger. The sun is relentless in the southern latitudes. You get a lot tireder standing watch with waves drenching you in rougher seas and rain. The heat and sun are killers down south. An autopilot is a MUST as well.

And remember, if you think gear is expensive to install at home, just imagine how expensive it is in the Caribbean and Mexico IF you can get the right parts. If you need it get it now, unless you have more money than I do and have the patience to wait in foreign ports for friends or other cruisers to bring down equipment (or you fly up and return with it yourself).

But if you are young and like roughing it, don't drink or use much water, don't mind hauling up 200' of chain with an anchor on it, can stand watch for hours at a time (in the daylight much less at night) when you are fatigued beyond the limits of safety, and don't mind being sunburned to a crisp on a hot boat, then fine, go ahead without these basics.

If you can afford it now, I'd go for it now. If the reason for delaying it is to wait and see if you need it, don't pay any attention to any of the large number of people who have already been there and done that, then go ahead. But you'll have plenty of work to do in foreign ports without finally equipping your boat with these items.

My apologies if this sounds too preachy. It's the result of seeing too many sailors down there who regret not having this gear. You can get by without a radar/chartplotter (but need some kind of charts for everywhere you go), AIS, sextant LOL, liferaft (understanding what risks you are taking), SSB, and some other gear (like an outboard if you can handle rowing in and out of swell in Mexico or plan to stay in marinas and you have a rowing dink). But you absolutely need enough electricity to run your lights when sailing at night, at anchorage, your VHF. Amazing how quickly you burn through that. One of my pet peeves are boats without anchor lights and/or running lights (go LED!). You can do without diesel a lot longer than you can water. Getting water from shore in your dink, or having it delivered to your boat, or going in to marinas all the time are real hassles and expensive. You will need to do it without a watermaker but you need to avoid doing it every week. And you can live with a manual windlass if you are fit enough.

I totally understand the money, time, and the hassle issues of trying to do too much. IMHO the guys who say "just do it" and have left without these items have not gone to Mexico and stayed for long. I have seen boats without these but not many. I know lots of cruisers who rued the day they planned to add stuff in Mexico or the Caribbean. Just sayin'....
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:18   #73
cruiser

The watermaker is a "must have" if you don't already have one. My daughter just got back from the Caribbean, Mexico specifically... her and her boyfriend both picked up an unwanted digestive parasite which gave them Montezuma's revenge for over a week. A sure way to put a damper on your future cruising lifestyle. A watermaker solves the problem and makes you more self contained.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:46   #74

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The watermaker is a "must have" if you don't already have one. My daughter just got back from the Caribbean, Mexico specifically... her and her boyfriend both picked up an unwanted digestive parasite which gave them Montezuma's revenge for over a week. A sure way to put a damper on your future cruising lifestyle. A watermaker solves the problem and makes you more self contained.
They could pinpoint the trouble to drinking water? Didn't eat any local foods, purchase fruits/vegetables, etc?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:17   #75

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The watermaker is a "must have" if you don't already have one. ..................
For some, this may be true. For others, it's a wasted expense. It depends on where and how you cruise. The term "Coastal Cruising" is pretty vague.

Tags
cruising, equipment, men