Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 01:06   #1
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Christmas Pressies for the Sailor Who Has Everything

I love HWMO, but he is very difficult to buy presents for. He has everything he needs, for which we are truly thankful.

But it gets annoying... if I buy him clothes he won't wear them (I think just cos I chose them) even though all the one he has are a disgrace!

He says his ideal present would be nothing - but hard as I try I just can't do it... it's a selfish thing, but I love and need the spirit of giving thoughtfully. So, what could he want that is cheap, thoughtful and useful?

Hint: His favourite hobby is sailing. Don't know if that'll be much help?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:58   #2

Re: Xmas Pressies For The Sailor Who Has Everything

How about a set of splicing fids? Or big panels of sail repair tape? Turtle Mats for the bottom of the companion way, or a Camping Toaster? If you're looking for something more local, The Sultan Center has some quality Inverters in stock at the moment and Ikea has some decent LED lights.

PT.
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:00   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchngo View Post
How about a set of splicing fids? PT.
Got a dozen left from when we had the shop
Quote:
Or big panels of sail repair tape? PT.
Got - but good idea, you can't have too much!
Quote:
Turtle Mats for the bottom of the companion way, PT.
What are they? We have rug rats....
Quote:
or a Camping Toaster? PT.
Brilliant idea. I'll get one for me, otherwise he'll say I only want it fr my marmite on toats anyway

Quote:
If you're looking for something more local, The Sultan Center has some quality Inverters in stock at the moment
PT.
Who are you, and how do you know this?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:21   #4

Boat: Privilege 37

It doesnt matter how experienced we are at the skills needed for sailing, skill fade is a problem. A set of the flip cards for lights, sound signals, and manoeuvres for IRPCS is a neat little present that can help a long watch go more quickly.

A good pair of binoculars with compass

a sextant and/or the appropriate tables for calculating position
Old 08-12-2011, 04:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I love HWMO, but he is very difficult to buy presents for. He has everything he needs, for which we are truly thankful.

But it gets annoying... if I buy him clothes he won't wear them (I think just cos I chose them) even though all the one he has are a disgrace!

He says his ideal present would be nothing - but hard as I try I just can't do it... it's a selfish thing, but I love and need the spirit of giving thoughtfully. So, what could he want that is cheap, thoughtful and useful?

Sounds like he is trying to tell you he does not need more "stuff". If you are living on a boat you definitely don't need more "stuff". If he does not already have one how about a Kindle e-reader:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: GIFTS FOR BOATERS: Amazon Kindle
Saves alot of space because he could load thousands of books in the space taken up by one paperback. If he already has one how about a lighted cover for it and/or an Amazon gift card so he could load it up with books HE wants.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:28   #6

Quote:

A bigger boat. Never fails to please.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:43   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
OK, so he has everything he needs but does he have everything he wants. Even if he says he does, is it really true.
Quote:
He says his ideal present would be nothing - but hard as I try I just can't do it... it's a selfish thing, but I love and need the spirit of giving thoughtfully....
So do both - give him nothing - of material wealth - but give him something of yourself in a metaphysical sense. Of course I don't know what that could be but surely you know something about yourself that you could offer to give or change or whatever that would make him feel more complete than he knew possible.

Maybe a huge gift wrapped empty box containing nothing but an explanation that even though you find it difficult not to give a gift, you are willing to suffer your personal pain and anguish of not giving in order that he receives exactly what he wants.

But maybe some red and green socks (port & stbd) and white hankies will be easier and will suffice!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Done. Twice. But not for xmas. The first one was for Valentine's, ten years ago... we launched on Valentine's Day, and the new sails arrived night before tied with strips of red spinnacre fabric tied in pretty bows!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Maybe a huge gift wrapped empty box containing nothing but an explanation that even though you find it difficult not to give a gift, you are willing to suffer your personal pain and anguish of not giving in order that he receives exactly what he wants!
Done.

This is soooooo hard.

Oh, we had an iPAD2 so we could get ibooks, but my mother is 'looking after' it...
Old 08-12-2011, 05:19   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Xmas Pressies For The Sailor Who Has Everything

Quote:

Ahhhh... HWMO sounds like a kindred spirit....
Men buy clothes for comfort (once past the peacock stage 12-40)...
thats why we don't like women buying our clothes...
anyone species who suffers high heels and the resulting ugly deformities, corsets and other tight fitting body shaping wear that restricts breathing, walking, functioning.... we don't like your taste...
on us......
I don't like 'Everyone else is so I'd better' presents anyway...
I'd much rather a spontaneous impulse gift outa the blue... rather than a 'They bought me W's worth pressie so I'd better go for X...' spirit that Christmas's and B'days inspire... the two nightmare front runners of the year...
closely followed by Easter when we happily encourage kids to be pigs....
And before we start with the 'Bah.. Humbug... Scrooge...' stuff.... remember one thing... Your teaching your kids that lying is a GOOD THING... and a Religious Right as well... and Greed is to be encouraged...
So stop whining about whats happening to the world.. you made it...
Rant Over....

Every man loves a really nice knife....
get one of your Arab friends to take you down the bazaar and find him a beautiful yet functional blade he can use....

Oh... also I was raised in a Muslim country... explains a lot...
much more practical...
gifts... more often than not is CASH.....
folk give what they wish and YOU buy what YOU WANT.... not someone else...
The greatest Gift in the World.. Freedom of Choice..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:22   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post

Ohhh whadda gift!

Does he like to read? How about an e-reader, or an IPad he can put nautical apps on?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:29   #11

Boat: Cabo Rico

I just got a Kindle Fire and recommend it. Great for the boat. Download books, TV shows, and Movies and watch them later. It is an item that creates LESS stuff. I know there are other ways to get content, but that little Kindle Fire is pretty sweet and cost $200.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:36   #12

Boat: Catalina 400 2001 40 feet

My daughter asked if there is anything I want for Xmas or should she wing it.
I sent her in the direction of a Magma pot set that are on sale.
A knife in a shealth with a marlin spike is a nice inexpensive gift and something of a personal nature.
Sperry deck shoes
Tilley hat
Go to Defender Marines online catlogue im sure you may see something to give you ideas
SeaDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:37   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Flashlights. You can never have too many flashlights (that's torch to you Brits). I really like the waterproof diving lights for the boat. UK mini Q40 LED is a nice pocket size.

I have read about some expensive, ultra bright lights, halogen and LED that also look very cool.

But do I recall that you guys were in the diving business? So maybe you already have plenty of dive lights laying about. In that case, never mind.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:48   #14

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

A custom-printed coffee mug with a great pic of your boat might be nice to have.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:48   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:

I have everything I need and I surely don't need more "Stuff". In fact, I still have gift Polo Shirts and other "Stuff" still in their gift boxes from years past of Birthday, Christmas et al presents that this year are going to others more in need (we're finally clearing "Stuff" out!).

However, one gift that I am always happy to recieve is a Gift Card either for West Marine, Lowes or Home Depot that allows me to pick up supplies and materials I need when I need them. That, plus a nice bottle of Wine, is a very good/useful gift. Next most useful are the sports T-Shirts from Sports Authority. They are made of a material that wicks moisture away from one's body. My wife gave me three of these for my birthday and to my surprise, they actually work very well but with work on the boat, replacements are always necessary/welcome.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote