Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 10:34   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Cheap Courtesy Flags

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to order courtesy flags on the cheap?

We need the DR, PR, and USVI.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 10:41   #2

Boat: Valiant 50
Re: Cheap Courtesy Flags

If its only those 3 that you need, then buy them on arrival. For PR an USVI we used the US flag and no one complained.
For the DR we bought it from Papo in Luperon (US$10 I recall). DR officials were keen (in the nicest way) that we should fly their flag.
Old 24-07-2014, 11:41   #3

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I realize that they make courtesy flags for PR and USVI, but as those are US territories, the proper courtesy flag if you are a non-US boat, would be the US national flag. If yours is a US boat, I do not believe you need fly a courtesy flag at all.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:47   #4

could always sew your own, heard it done.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 13:36   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We buy ours here: International Stick Flags 12 x 18 inch

They are cheap stick flags - just remove the stick and run a piece of line through them. They only last 3 months (more if it is not windy), but they only cost $2. We just buy a bunch for the countries we are in. If you are not spending longer than 3 months or so, you only need one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 14:24   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I buy them on arrival. Newsagents always sell flags for school kids. They normally cost about $2 and last a good 3 month stay.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 14:40   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
If its only those 3 that you need, then buy them on arrival. For PR an USVI we used the US flag and no one complained.
For the DR we bought it from Papo in Luperon (US$10 I recall). DR officials were keen (in the nicest way) that we should fly their flag.
Its true... but the PR's are very proud of their heritage and so is the USVI, and its no skin off my back. So, we will still fly good old stars and stripes well.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 20:37   #8

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I realize that they make courtesy flags for PR and USVI, but as those are US territories, the proper courtesy flag if you are a non-US boat, would be the US national flag.
That statament does not pass the Geography exam in those places where that is required.. Puerto Rico is not a "territory" like the USVI. It is an "Associated Free State" with its own national flag. Some Puerto Ricans will not be amused about this confusion..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 20:48   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Some Puerto Ricans will not be amused about this confusion..
The practical reality is that if you flew no courtesy flag at all in PR, nobody would even notice or be concerned if they did notice.

Pedantically correct, yes. Practically correct, no.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 21:34   #10

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
That statament does not pass the Geography exam in those places where that is required.. Puerto Rico is not a "territory" like the USVI. It is an "Associated Free State" with its own national flag. Some Puerto Ricans will not be amused about this confusion..
If I owned a commercial tanker or container ship with the home port of San Juan, Puerto Rico, would the ship fly a U.S. flag or a Puerto Rican flag (ensign, not courtesy)? The answer would guide me on whether a Puerto Rican courtesy flag would be necessary for a U.S.-registered boat in PR waters.
Old 25-07-2014, 03:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
The practical reality is that if you flew no courtesy flag at all in PR, nobody would even notice or be concerned if they did notice.

Pedantically correct, yes. Practically correct, no.

Mark
I have asked a few Puerto Ricans and stand by my post. For many cruisers leaving a clean wake is the name of the game, and wake cleanliness is measured in the eye of the locals!
Old 25-07-2014, 11:15   #12

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

Quote:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
According to Puerto Rico's own website:

Puerto Rico, officially known as the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico), is an unincorporated territory of the United States....
Old 25-07-2014, 11:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
According to Puerto Rico's own website:

Puerto Rico, officially known as the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico), is an unincorporated territory of the United States....
Thanks. I am aware of this wording, which can be found in many English-language private sector and US government web sites, but could not find it in the Puerto Rican government´s site that is PR.gov - Portal Oficial del Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico.

I would greatly appreciate if you could pass on the page that has that wording within the official PR web site (PR.gov - Portal Oficial del Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico). That would let me provoke some thought in my Puerto Rican friends who do not translate "Estado Libre Associado" as "territory".

.. Can you please pass on the page
Old 25-07-2014, 12:47   #14

Puerto Rico Government

Quote:
Puerto Rico's political relationship with the U.S. has been a continuing source of debate in Puerto Rico, the United States Congress, and the United Nations. The issue revolves around whether Puerto Rico should remain a U.S. territory, become a U.S. state, or become an independent country. The debate has spawn several referendums, presidential executive orders and bills in the U.S. Congress. Ultimately the U.S. Congress is the only one who can make decisions regarding the political status of Puerto Rico, as stated under the Territorial Clause.
Welcome to Puerto Rico! History, Government, Geography, and Culture.

Quote:
Puerto Rico, officially known as the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico), is an unincorporated territory of the United States, located in the northeastern Caribbean
I am not a Spanish speaker, so cannot read the official webpage you quote.
Old 25-07-2014, 13:07   #15

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I get ours from nautical thrift stores. They are in new or like new condition for less than $10.

Tags
cheap, courtesy flags, flags