Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 08:12   #1

Changing to NZ registration

Hi all.
I've been a member here since buying my Chriscraft/S&S 36 3 years ago. I've had amazing advice along the way, it was/is my first boat. I've had 2 successful winters cruising the QLD coast and now feel ready for the next step. 2017 I plan on sailing to Vanautu.
A major problem is thought that Nautilus is only QLD registered. Getting her Australian registered is a major hassle if even possible(Shes's 40 years old, had multiple owners worldwide) and costs a bunch or time and money. I have a New Zealand passport though and after some quick research it seems I could have Nautilus registered as a NZ boat with next to no hassle(all online) and costing around NZ$500 for 5 years. Has anyone done or had experience with this? Thanks in advance.
>Vernon
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgF...bewXrksprcvFJA
dexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 22:46   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Changing to NZ registration

Seems like the Kiwi boats have to get a Cat 1 survey certificate before they clear out to go offshore. Maybe this wouldn't apply to you as you aren't leaving from NZ.
Old 03-01-2017, 23:31   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Sounds like the boat is in Oz and you don't plan to take her to NZ so it sounds a good plan to me.
However ....If you do take her into NZ you will be up for import duty/gst etc etc on arrival and will be required to have cat 1 kit on departure... apart from that ... all good.

I imported my UK registered yacht into Australia and paid all the duty but kept her UK flagged.... saved a lot of drama re assorted state registrations and regulations. Kept her there for 9 years.
Old 03-01-2017, 23:51   #4

Called away.... just check that all your Australian paperwork is OK before you leave Oz so no drama coming back in.
Old 04-01-2017, 00:55   #5

Thanks El Penguino, that pretty much answers my question.
My boat is now in OZ and I plan on sailing around the world, finishing in NZ in around 10 years. I would have to cancel my QLD redo, get NZ rego and then would need to get out of OZ before the 12 months is up. I don't have CAT1 qualifications but I'm thinking that wouldn't apply if I'm not leaving NZ waters. Same with the "out of water" inspection.
What other OZ paperwork would I need to get in order apart from the obvious checking out procedures?
Old 04-01-2017, 00:56   #6

Hi Paul
Yeah thats what I'm trying to find out. As I'm not leaving from NZ would I need the CAT1.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2017, 02:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexport View Post
My boat is now in OZ and I plan on sailing around the world, finishing in NZ in around 10 years. I would have to cancel my QLD redo, get NZ rego and then would need to get out of OZ before the 12 months is up. I don't have CAT1 qualifications but I'm thinking that wouldn't apply if I'm not leaving NZ waters. Same with the "out of water" inspection.
What other OZ paperwork would I need to get in order apart from the obvious checking out procedures?
Registration/Flag and right to stay in the country are two different things.... you have, it seems, imported her so she can stay forever.
So no need to leave in 12 months. And no need to cancel Qld rego ... just let it lapse.... my boat at one stage was both UK registered and in Marine Board of Victoria survey for commercial operation at one and the same time.

I assumed you were just going to Vanuatu and back.... you would need to have the paperwork showing that she had been imported and all moneys due had been paid at an earlier date.

The Cat 1 rollocks only applies when you are leaving NZ.... clearing out of other countries is up to the countries concerned.... Chile 'frinstance they may - and then again they may not - send someone down to have a quick look at your boat and at you before giving you clearence.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:50   #8

Righto
But it does stipulate on the NZ redo site that in order to get a new kiwi redo I need to show paperwork that I've canceled the previous redo, wherever in the world that was.
I think once I do that and have Kiwi redo than the boat is no longer anything to do with Oz and I would be only eligible to stay 12 months. But that doesn't really matter as I don't really intend sailing back to Oz at this stage.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:58   #9

Quote:
Righto
But it does stipulate on the NZ redo site that in order to get a new kiwi redo I need to show paperwork that I've canceled the previous redo, wherever in the world that was.
I think once I do that and have Kiwi redo than the boat is no longer anything to do with Oz and I would be only eligible to stay 12 months. But that doesn't really matter as I don't really intend sailing back to Oz at this stage.
OK , if thats what they want then cancelling your queensland rego is what you do. You won't want or need it anyway.
I think you can stay for longer, forever in fact if she was in fact imported, I know I did .. well from 1994 to 2003.....

But if you are leaving within the 12 months then that is neither here nor there.

All care no responsibility with this advice
Old 04-01-2017, 11:45   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

There might be more issues for you as an NZ citizen with NZ registration. I’d suggest you ask the same question on the forum of crew.org.nz. Members there will have experienced what you’re proposing. Not wanting to knock this forum in the slightest but it is very USA centric.

The Cat 1 requirements of NZ and Oz, along with country departure process are significant issues for all locals wanting to sail offshore. I’d also encourage you to check with relevant NZ authorities first.

An alternative is to register with an entirely different register such as Cook Islands, Vanuatu, British Small Ship, Channel Islands, Panama etc.
Also great Youtube Channel by the way. You now have a new subscriber.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:51   #11

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There

With registration in NZ you will be liable for all the associated taxes on arrival home. You will need Cat 1 if your yacht is NZ registed and you want to leave NZ again. Once you are in NZ you can let your rego lapse and there is no issue. There is also the option of life long rego for an additional price.
You can also have your Epirb registration in NZ so if you have an issue they will do their best to organize a rescue.
Although insurance does seem to be a bit of problem.

Thanks Ray
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:54   #12

Hi Grant
Thanks a bunch for your info!
I've had an email from the NZ register today. I'm calling them today.
It seems I can register Nautilus as a "class B" ship, this lasts for 5 years and is very easy to obtain, costs $1000 approx. I wouldn't need a CAT1 or a "out of water" ship inspection. After those 5 years I think I would just have to reregister and hope no-one had taken my ships name.
The other option is a "class A". Its forever but way more of a hassle to obtain. I must have a builders certificate, details of every past owner, each home port etc. I'll know exactly once I've called.
Seems like a good way to go though.

Happy you like my videos. I'm about to start the winter/snow/photography ones again. I loose some subs each season as I swap between the summer and winter videos.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:00   #13

Thanks Ray for your reply. As I replied to Grant above, I found out a lot about this today, most of it as you say.
The life long rego is Class A and much more complicated to get.
I'm not too worried about taxes etc when arriving in NZ as I'm not sure I ever will and if I do it will be my last destination with this boat. Who know, maybe by then I'll have got my CAT1.
Cheers
>Vernon
Old 04-01-2017, 12:54   #14

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

Check out registering in Langkawi, same price , no hassles, and do it from the comfort of your computer.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 16:13   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
No need to cancel the Qld Rego to get NZ Rego. They are two different things. Once you are on the NZ register, you can keep the Qld one or let it lapse.

When I bought my cat in Qld, it was Aus and Qld registered. I had it removed from the Aus register and placed on the PNG register before leaving Aus with it.

Basically leaving the country is a case of:
1. Register as a client on the Integrated Customs System (fill out a simple one page form)
2. Submit a Small Craft Reporting Form/Small Craft Arrival Report (3 page form, normally used when entering then exiting the country - so you leave some parts of it blank in this case)
3. Provide a copy of the overseas Registration
4. Lodge a one page Export Declaration

I've still got the emails I exchanged with Customs/Border Force with the relevant info and forms. PM me if you want copies.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration