Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 18:52   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Changes to the forum

The civility that marked CF as a notch above other sailing forums no longer seems to be a priority.

Maybe it was the earlier diligence of the moderators but intolerance seems rampant with little over site.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 16-11-2015, 20:00   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Changes to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
The civility that marked CF as a notch above other sailing forums no longer seems to be a priority.

Maybe it was the earlier diligence of the moderators but intolerance seems rampant with little over site.

Hey Cap,

Sadly, I have to agree with you.

Too often some threads quickly devolve to [testosterone fueled?] matches between those seeking to confirm instead of question their disparate ideas and/or positions.

[Speaking for myself, I can only learn when I question my ideas...]

On a smaller scale, we also suffer from a smattering of the usual cowards who hide behind their anonymity to behave in a manner I suspect would cause them extreme embarrassment in person... [Other forums I belong to which require we use our real names have far, far fewer occurrences of this type of behavior...]

I believe this degradation of quality is what led to the formation of the closed Facebook Group Women Who Sail. [7,200 strong and growing...]

Civility, respect, and integrity are also hallmarks of the Attainable Adventure Cruising forum.

This forum is a diverse association of many well intended individuals sharing their knowledge, passion, and experiences. It can change for the better if we all strive to set standards through example by thinking first, then writing as though we are speaking in front of our family and friends; by following the excellent examples set by a majority of our membership...

Best regards to all.

Bill
Old 16-11-2015, 20:14   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

Hmm, decrying the quality of the people here, while posting an advertisement for a competing, for-profit (not that this one isn't), subscription forum/blog. Guess that makes me the a@#$#le over here that points out that that's a little self-serving and a violation of common courtesy if not rules.

[And yes, I thought twice before hitting 'post']
Old 16-11-2015, 20:16   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Definately agree. I often wonder how many people don't contribute on this site due to the aggressive tone used by some. It's a real shame, obviously healthy debate isn't a problem its the accompanying attitude that often is.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-11-2015, 20:22   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

As one of those CF posters who occasionally blasts some one with whom I disagree, I will make an effort to be more civil and measured in my responses. I agree that the value of this forum is not unfettered opinion but should be one or respect and support. I'll try and do better! Phil
Old 16-11-2015, 20:46   #6

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

As a female sailor, with a very thick skin, I still have at times have gone WOW at some of the tone used in posts, particularly against newbies. That does not foster an inclusive sailing community. Why should you 'blast' someone with whom you disagree or treat someone with disrespect?
I am staying on this forum anyway...lots of fun, knowledgeable and interesting people overall
Old 16-11-2015, 20:49   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
I joined 4 months before you and I don't
detect any such change. Some threads
are cordial and some are confrontational.

Have you any examples that concern you?
Old 16-11-2015, 21:47   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've been around CF and SN long enough to see the ebb and flow of civil discussion. I fully agree that anonymity fosters ill behaviour, but I've been around this subject here before, and there seems to be no desire by most users, the mods and more importantly the owners, to demand that people use their real names. It would improve the tone (as studies show), but it could chase away some users, and might reduce the volume of content here. This would have a negative impact on ad revenues, so naturally the owners will never make the change.

All that said, I don't find the tone here has changed much over time. You figure out who the negative characters are, and learn to mostly ignore them. You also learn to avoid incendery discussions like guns, anchors, and anything hinting at American politics. Doing these things allow me to enjoy the great discussions, while avoiding getting drawn into too many gutter-chats.
Old 16-11-2015, 22:16   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've been around CF and SN long enough to see the ebb and flow of civil discussion.

All that said, I don't find the tone here has changed much over time. You figure out who the negative characters are, and learn to mostly ignore them. You also learn to avoid incendery discussions like guns, anchors, and anything hinting at American politics. Doing these things allow me to enjoy the great discussions, while avoiding getting drawn into too many gutter-chats.
WTF Mike? You left out composting heads.
Old 16-11-2015, 22:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
As one of those CF posters who occasionally blasts some one with whom I disagree, I will make an effort to be more civil and measured in my responses. I agree that the value of this forum is not unfettered opinion but should be one or respect and support. I'll try and do better! Phil
I don't like your tone. Talking like this is offensive and hurtful. Please I need a safe non threatening environment. Let me cast off into the night seas and fight for my life against the winds and waves. Far less stressful than having to deal with posts like this from you Capt. Phil. :-)
Old 16-11-2015, 22:24   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
I joined 4 months before you and I don't
detect any such change. Some threads
are cordial and some are confrontational.

Have you any examples that concern you?
It's not the threads, it's some individuals that contribute to the threads. Obviously using examples cant be done. And isn't about everyone should agree eg. Im sure Mike (above) and I have different polictical views but I always look forward to reading his posts as they are always well written , polite and delivered with respect. People can disagree absolutely but provocative aggressive isnt warranted. I often wonder if they would be as aggressive face to face? Anyway it's a good chance to practice patience and tolerance. .lol.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-11-2015, 08:00   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Obviously using examples cant be done.
Why?

I still don't see it.

Respectfully, maybe you have become
more sensitive.

It's just pixels on a screen.::no nono::dan ger:
Old 17-11-2015, 08:06   #13

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...5f&oe=56EEDCBB
Old 17-11-2015, 08:09   #14

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

As a relative newbie of the female persuasion let me just yell this....ahem, let me just say this:

In the last 17 months this forum has been the most consistently reliable tool I have fund in order to figure out the mechanical/electrical systems on my boat.
I have found Windyty from recommendations here. I have a wider understanding of LEDs, inverters, head (pump and dessicating) stoves, batteries, and on and on.

In order to learn these things I had to read through

"Amp hrs vs Amp hrs per day" (PLEASE do not correct me if this is wrong)
"What real men want in a woman/boat"
and various others.

What I am taking the long way round to explain is that in the beginning, unsure of both myself (lack of knowledge) the boat (35 year old FC, rundown, blah blah)
and also assuming that everyone on this forum had ALL the answers ALL the time
many of the more confrontational threads and answers to my posts almost scared me away. But I needed the info more than I needed my pride so I kept reading and learned that not all posters are expert and if I don't like the way the thread is going I don't have to continue reading it.

The contentious threads are all wound up in ego and I simply don't have the time for them, I'm too busy trying to fix this boat up and get off the dock and go sailing. So although CF can be rude, crude and vulgar (and sometimes that's a good thing) it's currently one of my primary tools for learning new boat stuff every day.

That said, newbies can be scared off before they realize that a lot of it is just puff and that is not a good thing. I guess my suggestion is for someone new, just post a non confrontational post or ignore it.
Old 17-11-2015, 08:13   #15

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:

Cap,
I was just thinking that over the last year the discussions have become pretty bland overall and lack the sparks of earlier years. I guess it's all frame of reference.
Closed Thread

Tags
rum