Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 08:21   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Changes to the forum

No wonder civility is off if you are thrown off your emotional balance every time a flash (or is it html5 already?) add pops up for the nth time (I counted to four last time) even before you open your mouth to say anything.

The first to come gets banged on the head. There is word for that in cognitive sociology but I am too angry now to remember it.

Cheers,
b.
Old 17-11-2015, 08:30   #17

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Sorry, Goingwalkabout... No intention to offend. Just 'fessin up to what some might have construed as past bad behavior and committing to try and do better.
It is usually the non-saling type comments and discussions that light my fire. Cheers, Phil
Old 17-11-2015, 08:31   #18

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I've noted frequently - not necessarily here - that it's not necessary to be disagreeable to disagree...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Old 17-11-2015, 08:33   #19

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No wonder civility is off if you are thrown off your emotional balance every time a flash (or is it html5 already?) add pops up for the nth time (I counted to four last time) even before you open your mouth to say anything.

The first to come gets banged on the head. There is word for that in cognitive sociology but I am too angry now to remember it.

Cheers,
b.

getadblock.com for Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari, with mobile apps to come. Never see an ad you don't want, again...

Free...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Old 17-11-2015, 08:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
I agree. Snow broke my leg in 2009. How dare it!!! Now I can't ski anymore. I even threw out all my white shirts!!!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 17-11-2015, 08:39   #21

Boat: lancer 36

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...47&oe=56AD98AC
Old 17-11-2015, 08:40   #22

Boat: Club Sailor; various

As they say, "Argue the message not the messenger..."

Maybe I have a really thick skin or I am jaded but compared to what I read on many of the sports blogs I follow, I consider CF to be very civilized with very few obvious examples to the contrary.

That's not to say I/we can't do better, only that I can't remember a thread where I felt abused or mistreated by responses to my comments.

Old 17-11-2015, 08:48   #23

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
As they say, "Argue the message not the the messenger..."

Maybe I have a really thick skin or I am jaded but compared to what I read on many of the sports blogs I follow, I consider CF to be very civilized with very few obvious examples to the contrary.

That's not to say I/we can't do better, only that I can't remember a thread where I felt abused or mistreated by responses to my comments.

I'm with you, this forum and it's members has been nothing but helpful.
Old 17-11-2015, 08:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Woods View Post
I'm with you, this forum and it's members has been nothing but helpful.
Yyup. The Drone thread is a perfect example.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 17-11-2015, 08:54   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
The civility that marked CF as a notch above other sailing forums no longer seems to be a priority.

Maybe it was the earlier diligence of the moderators but intolerance seems rampant with little over site.
Some of us feel the opposite. That the site has become too sterile and PC where you aren't allowed to post anything that may not be the same view point as some others.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:12   #26

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

I've not been here long enough to judge any change, but for the most part I have enjoyed my time here. Some can be a little harsh, but frustration trying to get an idea across is understandable.
This site has become the first place I go when on the computer. Great info and a really good variety of opinions.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:35   #27

Boat: Union cutter 33

I just like to know how they choose questions to be out out here digging threw rhe forums u find really good questions then out here u get something like how old is too old...christ if u can't figure it out. ..then stay off the sea...
Old 17-11-2015, 09:40   #28

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Speaking for myself I find the forums sometimes informative, sometimes entertaining and almost always interesting. Yes some posts are not great but that is the world we live in. The vast majority of posts are well meaning and to hell with the others. I just scroll past them.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:40   #29

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Some of us feel the opposite. That the site has become too sterile and PC where you aren't allowed to post anything that may not be the same view point as some others.
I've gotta concur strongly on this one. Any time I go to play Devil's Advocate, or call someone on obvious BS, I wonder if I'm gonna' catch official heat because of it.
The irony being, that much of the time, when I've told things like they really are, instead of the party line, & or the "be nice" policy, I get a lot of appreciation for doing such.
And then, once the "ranks are broken" a few other members might step up & do a bit of the same... sometimes.

So where's the line between being rude & offensive, & that of constructive criticism. Or plain old telling the (non sugar coated) truth?

One of those truths being, that there are some mods who quite obviously start threads to generate the whole be nice vibe... and which seem to (quite literally) go on for pages & pages. Threads which I @ this point don't even bother to look at, but wonder as to their value at all.
Especially as, when you try & interject a bit of say, facts, into such threads, you're politely dismissed, & the thread goes back to basically teaching naught.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:49   #30

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
As a relative newbie of the female persuasion let me just yell this....ahem, let me just say this:

In the last 17 months this forum has been the most consistently reliable tool I have fund in order to figure out the mechanical/electrical systems on my boat.
I have found Windyty from recommendations here. I have a wider understanding of LEDs, inverters, head (pump and dessicating) stoves, batteries, and on and on.

In order to learn these things I had to read through

"Amp hrs vs Amp hrs per day" (PLEASE do not correct me if this is wrong)
"What real men want in a woman/boat"
and various others.

What I am taking the long way round to explain is that in the beginning, unsure of both myself (lack of knowledge) the boat (35 year old FC, rundown, blah blah)
and also assuming that everyone on this forum had ALL the answers ALL the time
many of the more confrontational threads and answers to my posts almost scared me away. But I needed the info more than I needed my pride so I kept reading and learned that not all posters are expert and if I don't like the way the thread is going I don't have to continue reading it.

The contentious threads are all wound up in ego and I simply don't have the time for them, I'm too busy trying to fix this boat up and get off the dock and go sailing. So although CF can be rude, crude and vulgar (and sometimes that's a good thing) it's currently one of my primary tools for learning new boat stuff every day.

That said, newbies can be scared off before they realize that a lot of it is just puff and that is not a good thing. I guess my suggestion is for someone new, just post a non confrontational post or ignore it.
Always knew I liked Redheads ...
Closed Thread

Tags
rum