Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 10:56   #151
cruiser

Re: CF Member Rescued After Being Lost at Sea For 66 Days-Merged

I admire Louis very much. He followed his dream and was extremely resourceful and tough to survive an unfortunate ordeal. He is an inspiration to me as I look forward to my own boating adventures some day.

I'm glad we live in a country where we have this kind of freedom.
Churchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:02   #152
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchlady View Post
I admire Louis very much. He followed his dream and was extremely resourceful and tough to survive an unfortunate ordeal. He is an inspiration to me as I look forward to my own boating adventures some day.

I'm glad we live in a country where we have this kind of freedom.

I admire Eric Taberly for the same reasons. Brothers from a different mother maybe ...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:16   #153

Boat: Hunter 410

http://m.washingtonpost.com/news/mor...s/?tid=HP_more

FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jpsgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:29   #154

Boat: Valiant 42

I can't believe he was sitting on the upturned hull of his boat when found. That just defies all logic about how his boat was made. The list of details that don't add up is pretty long.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 14:51   #155

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I've been reading the posts here as they have appeared, and can't help thinking that part of this is our fault for saying "go now!" "it'll work out!" Perhaps we need to work on ways of encouraging that aren't stupid advice.

Everybody starts somewhere, and it is simply the lack of knowing a lot of stuff that makes things go pear-shaped. We don't know if anyone tried to talk sense to him.

We do not know what happened here, the media reports leave a lot to be desired.

We have a man, here, fallible like all of us, who has been through a harrowing experience. In poor conditions (it was cold out there, and wet), he kept body and soul together. I do not find him inspirational--I think he underestimated what he was undertaking, but I think we should cut him some slack. Let the one of us who has never done something the results of which he was unhappy with be the one to offer HELPFUL criticism.

No point at all in acting like chickens pecking the weak one.

Ann
Old 06-04-2015, 15:11   #156

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I can't believe he was sitting on the upturned hull of his boat when found. That just defies all logic about how his boat was made. The list of details that don't add up is pretty long.
Evidently you have not read his report. The yacht suffered a couple of roll-overs in heavy seas, the first one taking out his rig, two later ones after he'd dumped the remains of the rig. He used the term "Capsized" which is technically correct although the yacht did not remain capsized. He sheltered in the cabin and made do with the stores and resources he had at hand. More power to him although he shouldn't have been out there to begin with.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 15:37   #157
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I've been reading the posts here as they have appeared, and can't help thinking that part of this is our fault for saying "go now!" "it'll work out!" Perhaps we need to work on ways of encouraging that aren't stupid advice.
His rationale for heading offshore, despite a less than favorable forecast, was apparently gleaned from what he'd heard from "some of the foremost experts... in offshore sailing..."

:-)

3:30 into this clip...

Man collected rainwater to survive 66 days at sea
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 15:45   #158

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

All this attacking of him reminds me of the story of James Scott, a young medical student lost lost for 43 days in the snow covered Himalayas in 1992.

Of course the media jumped on him saying he ate a Mars bar (which) he ate on the first day, and the story went through the media that he took 43 days to eat it.

Then, just like quite a few on here, the unknowable critics came out, without waiting for the real story and then that got momentum and off it went.

I wouldn't be surprised if the media is reading CF and got their story about those in the know doubting it from here.

Nothing he has said sounds doubtful enough for me to conclude he's faking it. What is missing is simply answers from the person who was there. In time I have no doubt everything can be answered. If it is fake, I'm fairly certain it will be ascertained, and that will come out too.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:16   #159

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
His rationale for heading offshore, despite a less than favorable forecast, was apparently gleaned from what he'd heard from "some of the foremost experts... in offshore sailing..."
Well its finally happened. After more than 2000 posts over six years I have finally received the recognition I knew I always deserved. I'm now a member of that illustrious fellowship we have here on the CF. I'm a "foremost expert".

I just hope he doesnt get himself a lawyer and collectively sue all of us foremost experts....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:32   #160

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Evidently you have not read his report.
I am reading newspaper accounts. There have been multiple newspapers reporting that he was found by a German freighter sitting on the upturned hull of his boat. As if he had been like that for 2 months. That is not believable given the type of boat.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:42   #161

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
I am reading newspaper accounts. There have been multiple newspapers reporting that he was found by a German freighter sitting on the upturned hull of his boat. As if he had been like that for 2 months. That is not believable given the type of boat.
Almost certainly some less-than-knowledgeable reporter misinterpreting the word "capsized," and then parroted by a bunch of other clueless reporters too lazy to get the real facts.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:57   #162

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Ann
Some of the Forum says that but a lot of us say take a course or at least fix your boat and get some advice from a book or sailors on your dock before heading to sea.

Trouble is who on your dock is an experienced sailor that will give you good advice? It's as hard to sort out as who on this forum will give you good advice?
Old 06-04-2015, 17:06   #163
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
It's called piss-poor reporting and happens every day in nearly every reported news story. It really boggles the mind that anyone can still pay to buy a newspaper or is willing to waste their time watch TV news anymore....
Old 06-04-2015, 17:10   #164

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Missing sailor: I survived by staying inside, rationing

It looks like we'll have to wait till the book comes out to get the whole story.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 17:23   #165

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

From what I have read he was living in the boat, making flour pancakes, fishing and collecting rain-water to drink. Kinda like the charter-boat from hell. I don't think you can make pancakes on an over-turned hull. Your matches would get wet !!
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, member, rescue