Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 17:48   #1

Catalina 30 outboard

Hi guys,

So I bought a Catalina 30 in Feb 2020 and was sailing it from Baltimore down to Occoquan, where I live, a few weeks ago. Motor died right before Solomon’s and it is currently there. The cost to replace engine/fix head gasket is several thousand which I don’t have right now. I was thinking if attaching a cheaper outboard that is like $1500 just so I can get it back to my home marina. If I have to use it as a really nice picnic table for the next year that is fine by me but I just want it home. Due to Covid all engine fix costs are too much. My question is:

1) is that a dumb idea?
2) what is a good size outboard and bracket
3) anyone know the procedure to attach the bracket?

Thanks for yalls input ahead of time
Gagman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 18:07   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Catalina 30 outboard

For $1500 get a dingy with motor, tow the thing in and out of dock, sail the rest of the way.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 19:45   #3

I would but I heard you have to motor up the Potomac quite a bit. Also can a dinghy pull a 30 ft sailboat? Isn’t that really hard?

What size engine should I get?
Old 02-06-2020, 20:13   #4

Attaching and mounting it will be a pain in the azz. Then you’ll have the holes in your transom. I’m not familiar with the geography in your area but tow boat US might be an option. Have them tow it as far as they will in one day. Then repeat.

Or get a tow into open water and sail it.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 20:46   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

A dIY new headgasket would cost about $100 and take less time and effort than mounting an outboard.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 20:48   #6

Yes the gasket is only $130 but the replacing it labor and work is a few thousand.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:40   #7

Boat: Maine Cat 38

The outboard mounted on the sailboat stern will likely move the boat, but slowly, in flat water. Much waves at all will cause the propellor to come near the surface of the water and cavitate/ventilate. It would get you home, but require care.

A much preferred approach would mounting an outboard on a dinghy. Tie the dinghy beside the sailboat. Use the engine on the dinghy to move the sailboat when sailing is not prudent. Tow the dinghy on a long line behind the sailboat while sailing. This is a common technique among knowledgeable sailors.

I would also consider getting some help to get out of Solomons and then simply sailing home. The further up the Potomac you go the more wafty the wind gets. There may be times when tide and wind dictate dropping anchor and waiting for better. With patience sailing to your destination is possible. Have a friend meet you on approach to get into your home slip.

Good luck with the adventure.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:43   #8

Thanks Sparx! That is some great detailed advice I will try this.

Thanks for your input everyone. Like I said I just want it home so I can work on it over time. Paid the marina for a year so I have til next April. Y’all are great!
Old 03-06-2020, 08:13   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagman45 View Post
Yes the gasket is only $130 but the replacing it labor and work is a few thousand.

What is the engine?

I can’t see a few thousand in labor to change a head gasket?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:14   #10

Universal 20hp 3 cylinder. Had like <600 hours.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:25   #11

Quote:
Universal 20hp 3 cylinder. Had like <600 hours.

I’d get a second opinion on the change of head gasket. It’s an afternoon job unless the head is warped or the engine is in really bad shape.

Hell, it’s a simple engine. Do it yourself and save a pile of cash.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:28   #12

Yes, problem is I don’t know **** about engines or have the tools. My mechanic friends said that the head has to be ground flat so that it fits properly. Also you have to time it right. I dont know what this all means, but my lack of knowledge is costing me
Old 03-06-2020, 08:29   #13

Quote:
I would but I heard you have to motor up the Potomac quite a bit. Also can a dinghy pull a 30 ft sailboat? Isn’t that really hard?

What size engine should I get?
Most 9.9 -15 are the same engine. That would be a good size, but realistically a 6 hp will do it fine. More important is the bracket, buy one of those adjustable ones, leave it on the stern for storing the dingy outboard once you have your main engine fixed. In fact, buy the outboard you want to use on your dingy and you aren't losing anything in the process.

Dont try to tow your boat with a dingy. It's a PITA and doesn't really even work well unless you strap the dingy to the side of the mothership.

That Universal is a good engine. What are the symptoms of your problem? Are you sure it isnt old fuel or filters or...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:44   #14

Quote:
Yes, problem is I don’t know **** about engines or have the tools. My mechanic friends said that the head has to be ground flat so that it fits properly. Also you have to time it right. I dont know what this all means, but my lack of knowledge is costing me

No timing is changing by removing the head.

What are the symptoms that lead to the belief that the head is warped?

For me personally, it’s a difficult pill to swallow that you’re better off with an outboard on a bracket than repairing a low hour previously running engine.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:28   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:

When I was 15, I bought a car with a bad cam. I barely had an idea of what a cam does, but the car was cheap. I enlisted the help of family and friends, and we got that cam changed out. Also learned how to replace a head gasket. I am now 50, and still have that knowledge and have built upon it over the years.

Your engine is dead. Shy of removing the head with high explosives, you probably won't kill it more. Even if you mess up so bad that you have to replace the engine after you attempt to replace the gasket, you are no farther in the hole than you are now. But I bet the cost of a set of hand tools and a torque wrench would be recouped many times over going forward. Worst case, you learn a ton and still have a dead engine.
Uturn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, outboard