Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2024, 08:06   #1

Captain for Trek St Pete FL to Mystic CT

Hey fellow sailors.
We are finally retiring. We have been living in FL in the winter and then spend June thru mid Oct in CT. Our dilemma is that we have a Jeanneau 509 that gets stored on the hard in Mystic and do not have a boat in FL. Now that we will have more time we want to switch to a more West Coast Friendly boat. We have settled on the Fontaine Pajot Elba 45 with its ICW friendly mast. We want to bring the Elba up to CT each summer and then back down to FL. My rough calculations are that it is about 630 nautical miles and at 7 knots with stops, weather etc. 256 to 280 of sailing. Are there any captains that do this trip regularly and what kind of range of pay should we expect. The cost of slips in New England has gone nuts. We are paying over $9k in the summer and $3500 for winter storage. We have a slip at our house in FL that we can keep the boat and we will now have the time to use it year round. We chartered a FP Isla 40 last month and tried it out along the West Coast of FL and were pleasantly surprised at how many great place there were here, different than NE, but very special. I am just not sure if it is financially feasible to move the boat back and forth each year. WE'd love input from any sailors that have done similar scenario. Thanks
Old 13-05-2024, 07:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Captain for Trek St Pete FL to Mystic CT

Since I am retired from deliveries, I can provide some unbiased and slightly unfiltered input.

We want to bring the Elba up to CT each summer and then back down to FL. My rough calculations are that it is about 630 nautical miles and at 7 knots with stops, weather etc. 256 to 280 of sailing. A delivery captain who is worth a darn will load her up in St Pete, and not leave without a window for Marathon. Assume 2 days to Marathon. From Marathon catch a window to Beaufort, NC. Getting weather updates via satellite, decide if things looks solid and go for NYC. Underway, assume avg. VMG 5.5knots. A good delivery guy does not push a boat. I will give up a knot (24nm/day) to keep stress off the boat. Assuming a window all the way around Hatteras, it is feasible to sail at 5.5 and get 1.5-2 knots from the GS. But foolish to plan on the kick from the GS.

Are there any captains that do this trip regularly and what kind of range of pay should we expect. There are good captains, and there are cheap captains. Rarely are the cheap ones good.

Ok- some hard numbers:
A good captain will cost $400/day or more.
Competent paid crew can charge $100 or more.
Free crew can be great, or they can justify keel-hauling.
Add to that food ($500?), and fuel ($500)
Transport to the boat and back to St. Petersburg.
Wear on the boat- if you get the knucklehead who never reefs, or runs the engines hard, you will get more wear
Assuming you have a 150NM offshore limitation on insurance, the distance from Marathon to Mystic is 1100 NM @ 5.5 assume 8 days, maybe 6. Add 2 days St Pete to Marathon, add 1 day of provisioning and 1 day of travel on the back end.

Assuming no mechanical issues, no weather holds this is a 10-day job. $5,000 Capt, competent crew and 1 volunteer. Assuming $500 for groceries (may be high), $500 fuel,$220/PP for last minute air line tickets; a good planning number is $7,000. PLUS wear on the vessel- the vessel will be underway for about 192 hours. That is more time underway moving north than most boats get in 6-months of ownership.

Can you get someone who is cheaper? Sure- the odds are they will not be getting weather updates from a satellite system. Nor are they likely to have offshore experience. Also I rounded up a few times, but I always do that. Folks never complained if my bill was lower! Also if on the way up, a line of storms comes across, the boat will need to divert- that is not in the calls.

Please keep in mind I am not bidding on moving your boat just sharing unbiased information. My suggestion, is that it may be cheaper to keep two boats.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 14-05-2024, 03:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Since I am retired from deliveries, I can provide some unbiased and slightly unfiltered input.

We want to bring the Elba up to CT each summer and then back down to FL. My rough calculations are that it is about 630 nautical miles and at 7 knots with stops, weather etc. 256 to 280 of sailing. A delivery captain who is worth a darn will load her up in St Pete, and not leave without a window for Marathon. Assume 2 days to Marathon. From Marathon catch a window to Beaufort, NC. Getting weather updates via satellite, decide if things looks solid and go for NYC. Underway, assume avg. VMG 5.5knots. A good delivery guy does not push a boat. I will give up a knot (24nm/day) to keep stress off the boat. Assuming a window all the way around Hatteras, it is feasible to sail at 5.5 and get 1.5-2 knots from the GS. But foolish to plan on the kick from the GS.

Are there any captains that do this trip regularly and what kind of range of pay should we expect. There are good captains, and there are cheap captains. Rarely are the cheap ones good.

Ok- some hard numbers:
A good captain will cost $400/day or more.
Competent paid crew can charge $100 or more.
Free crew can be great, or they can justify keel-hauling.
Add to that food ($500?), and fuel ($500)
Transport to the boat and back to St. Petersburg.
Wear on the boat- if you get the knucklehead who never reefs, or runs the engines hard, you will get more wear
Assuming you have a 150NM offshore limitation on insurance, the distance from Marathon to Mystic is 1100 NM @ 5.5 assume 8 days, maybe 6. Add 2 days St Pete to Marathon, add 1 day of provisioning and 1 day of travel on the back end.

Assuming no mechanical issues, no weather holds this is a 10-day job. $5,000 Capt, competent crew and 1 volunteer. Assuming $500 for groceries (may be high), $500 fuel,$220/PP for last minute air line tickets; a good planning number is $7,000. PLUS wear on the vessel- the vessel will be underway for about 192 hours. That is more time underway moving north than most boats get in 6-months of ownership.

Can you get someone who is cheaper? Sure- the odds are they will not be getting weather updates from a satellite system. Nor are they likely to have offshore experience. Also I rounded up a few times, but I always do that. Folks never complained if my bill was lower! Also if on the way up, a line of storms comes across, the boat will need to divert- that is not in the calls.

Please keep in mind I am not bidding on moving your boat just sharing unbiased information. My suggestion, is that it may be cheaper to keep two boats.
I have done this trip as both paid and volunteer crew.
I think snores numbers are low both in time and money
As a volunteer crew all my expenses were paid, door to door 750 to 1,000
as a paid crew add another 100 per day
No way can you provision a crew of 3 for two weeks for 500
500 for fuel seems low also ( delivery captains Iíve crewed for maintain 5-6 knots no matter what)
Bad weather can screw everything, Iíve been stuck in Atlantic city for 4 days
as well as Moorehead City for 5
I think 10K is a better planning number.
Cheers
Neil
Old 14-05-2024, 03:58   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonika View Post
My rough calculations are that it is about 630 nautical miles and at 7 knots with stops, weather etc. 256 to 280 of sailing.

??

Our 7/21 delivery from Ft. Myers to just south of Annapolis was 1124 NM via Lake O. and then the AICW. Add more for Annapolis to CT...

And 256-280 what? Hours? Underway, sailing off shore? Or...?

We are power, but in general there's not a lot of "sailing" along the AICW route, although there are places along the way where you could.

Not much stress on the boat if you stay inshore. There are some places where weather can be a PITA, but if you have no pressing timeline, all that gets easy enough.

Marina-hopping can add up, but then again there's stuff to see and do if you stop at many of the common places. And/or anchorages are easy enough to find along the way.

-Chris
Old 14-05-2024, 04:09   #5

Also an ex delivery skipper, though West Coast and without as many years as Snore (about 5-years full-time). Captain/crew fees were almost always 50% of the total delivery cost. $10k sounds about right for planning.

I know of a couple delivery skippers who do regular re-positioning work for regular customers who migrate. Once you find a reliable skipper, you can probably figure out how to keep the fees at their lowest possible range as they can plan your delivery better; perhaps interleave other delivery work in a non-intrusive manner.

A good delivery skipper will deliver the boat in better condition than he picked it up. While the additional hours are not inconsequential, not a deal killer. Diesels are long lived.
Old 14-05-2024, 05:23   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I would agree with the $10k number but why not just sail it up the ICW yourself?

You can stay inshore until you reach Cape May NJ and the trip up the ICW is both fascinating and enjoyable. With a cat there are few running aground issues.
Set aside a month for the trip and enjoy everything along the way. Spend a week in Washington seeing the museums and sights. Lots of interesting small towns along the way where you can easily spend a couple of days boning ujp on your american history

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 14-05-2024, 07:08   #7
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonika View Post
Hey fellow sailors.
We are finally retiring. We have been living in FL in the winter and then spend June thru mid Oct in CT. Our dilemma is that we have a Jeanneau 509 that gets stored on the hard in Mystic and do not have a boat in FL. Now that we will have more time we want to switch to a more West Coast Friendly boat. We have settled on the Fontaine Pajot Elba 45 with its ICW friendly mast. We want to bring the Elba up to CT each summer and then back down to FL. My rough calculations are that it is about 630 nautical miles and at 7 knots with stops, weather etc. 256 to 280 of sailing. Are there any captains that do this trip regularly and what kind of range of pay should we expect. The cost of slips in New England has gone nuts. We are paying over $9k in the summer and $3500 for winter storage. We have a slip at our house in FL that we can keep the boat and we will now have the time to use it year round. We chartered a FP Isla 40 last month and tried it out along the West Coast of FL and were pleasantly surprised at how many great place there were here, different than NE, but very special. I am just not sure if it is financially feasible to move the boat back and forth each year. WE'd love input from any sailors that have done similar scenario. Thanks
Your post had me confused initially as you said you wanted a more west coast friendly boat. My mind went to California. But now I'm understanding you meant west coast of Florida.

Some posts have minimized the wear and tear, I disagree. There will be notable wear and tear. That's a hard one to put a number on as it will depend upon your luck with weather and such.

A question that is not clear to me. Are you wishing to accompany the trips up and back each time or would you accompany those trips only sometimes? I ask because a delivery captain would would cost more running the ICW compared to doing the majority of the trip off-shore - the old adage: time = money.

The beauty of the ICW is to do it slowly, enjoying the many things it has to offer. Using the ICW as a delivery route would be boring, might be fun to do once, maybe twice, but then it would just become a monotonous long haul boring trip. Now you could use a delivery captain to do it with you once or twice and then learn how to take that trip yourself with confidence.

The folks I know that run their boats from the Northeast to sail in the south for winter sailing and then run back up for winter, tend to do most of that trip off-shore - both directions.

I know you asked for $'s, but you've gotten a good ball park on that, I offer this simply as food for thought.

dj
Closed Thread

Tags
captain