Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2014, 16:28   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Can't find a good sweater..

Gil,
I just bought a great 100% Aran Irish wool sweater from Ireland. They are handcrafted, made locally and of excellent quality. By buying direct from Ireland, the sweaters are 25-50% less than buying them from a stateside vendor. The shipping was reasonable and it arrived in a week. I have worn Irish, Scottish and Icelandic wool sweaters my entire life and they are superior to anything made in the states and the perfect outdoor sweater. I have used them for hunting, fishing and sailing. As an added benefit after being pleased with your purchase, you might even consider changing your avatar to one that appears less manic depressive . . . perhaps even wearing your new Irish wool sweater with a smile. Good luck and good fashion. Captain Rognvald, lost in wool. Check out: www.shamrockgift.com/
Old 15-12-2014, 17:25   #17

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Google Ibex, Icebreaker, Smartwool...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 20:46   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

Find a local shop that sells wool for knitting in the Yellow Pages. Go there, and they'll have contacts for folks who will knit you a sweater exactly how you want it.

That's what I did last time I bought a sweater. I have long arms and for the first time in my life I had a heavy turtleneck sweater whose sleeves came down to my knuckles just like people's do.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 21:14   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

You can't beat swannies:

Men's Bushshirts | Men's Wool Jackets | Men's Oilskin | Men's Softshell | Men's Fleece | Men's Vests | Men's Knitwear | Men's Pants | Men's Shorts
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 23:32   #20

Zippers are the weak link.

I have been ski touring, mountaineering and now sailing for many years and have probably retired all my gear because of zippers failing. Salt water only makes it worse.

I look for gear with minimal or no reliance on zippers now.

ykk zippers only and hopefully all plastic.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 23:57   #21

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm half Scottish, as in Mom came over on the boat, literally. So we've always had quality sweaters around, usually oiled via St. Andrews' Woolen Mills (yep, we visited a lot, even the famous golf course). And while they definitely are nice, any more, they're reserved for land duties. As fleece (especially), and woven wool is a LOT more durable, in addition to being warmer. Plus, the latter two aren't finicky about being wet. Meaning that they don't get all stretched out of shape if soaked. Plus; you can machine wash them, wring them out by hand, & even tumble dry most of them. Oh, & they're a LOT more abrasion resistant than knitted sweaters as well.

My favorite is my (two) Patagonia Retro Cardigans, which sadly are no longer made. But they're 3/4"+ thick fleece, & warmer than anything I've ever owned aside from a full on Winter parka.
Said company still makes some super heavy weight fleece, & if you call the Dillon, MT outlet store, sometimes you can find items dirt cheap. Ditto on visiting any of their other outlet stores.

Though likely the best options are waterproof fleece, & waterproof wool. And no those aren't typo's. Look at stuff in places like Cabela's, Filson, etc. Plus, as of last check, Woolrich made a few, nice, waterproof wool coats & jackets.
And as a perk, the items/manufacturers in this last paragraph tend to price their items a lot more reasonably than say, Patagonia, or anything with a nautical association. The one exception to this being Filson.

One more perk about fleece. If/when it gets wet during a watch, once you get below decks, you can just wring it out good, & pull it into your sleeping bag with you. And on most occasions it'll be dry by the time your next watch.
Although, sadly, unlike wool (socks, long johns, & pull overs, etc.) you really can't put it into the microwave to get it toasty warm right before you go on watch.

But with everything I've listed, you'll get sick of having them around before you wear them out, knock on wood.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 23:58   #22

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Can't beat Icebreaker - NZ marino wool. Warm, light, dries fast, and doesn't stink if you wear it for a long time. Sir Peter Blake wore some for 4 months straight! Icebreaker | New Zealand Merino Wool Clothing and Apparel
Old 16-12-2014, 05:20   #23

I love real wool sweaters. Own several. Actually look forward to the time of year when I can wear them here in Florida. But on the boat? Nope. Leave them home in the drawer.

On the boat I'll take the modern synthetics any day of the week and twice on Sunday. They are lighter and warmer, and dry much, MUCH more quickly. Not to mention the fact that they are generally much less expensive.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 07:22   #24

Hands down the best. go to Aran Sweater Market. Delivered and knit in Irelandeace of 100% Merino wool. I have several and give as gifts. The best!
james madden
aisling222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 07:26   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Look at the Paramo range of clothing. My wife, kids and I use them - the fleeces are totally windproof and shower proof (very, very shower proof). After washing retreat with Nikwax to retain properties. They are lightweight and soft (No wax!) and are pretty smart. They are not particularly warm which is a benefit - they do stop the wind, totally though. We also use their jackets in all but the worst weather at sea. This kit is not cheap, but after ten years of very heavy wear, on land and at sea I swear by it - as long as you keep it clean and treated with NikWax.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 07:44   #26

Boat: Scout 30

The Duluth Trading Co has some interesting clothes.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 08:23   #27

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Hello,

Certainly not locally here in Florida.. Everything I see on the web looks to be made for fashion, not for sailing. I would think 100% wool would be best, or am I wrong? Where can I find a real sweater online, something I can take to sea?

Thanks,

Gil.
Hi Gil,

Thanks for the jog down memory lane! We used to have Scots Highland sheep, and my mom would both spin and then knit the wool, I had quite a few Fishermans sweaters while growing up! Anyway, a brief search on ebay for "aran sweater" and "fishermans wool sweater" and "oiled wool sweater" will bring up a ton of choices, some of which are pretty cheap.

If money is no object, then find someone with sheep and get the phone number of the person who shears the sheep and tell him you are looking for a long-wooled sheep variety and ask him if he has any customers that have some. Then find someone to spin and knit your sweater from that. It will outlast you unless moths get it.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 08:31   #28

here is the direct link. sweaters re great and price excellent. one week delivery, maybe not right now(christmas).
warm, comfy, real wool.

http://www.aransweatermarket.com/

aisling222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 08:43   #29

Boat: Scout 30

New Arrivals
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 09:28   #30

Boat: O'Day 40

I was put on to Merino wool by an experienced off-shore racer. It has 2 advantages. It's still warm when wet and it doesn't stink after days of 24/7 sailing. You will appreciate both and your sailing mates will especially appreciate the later. mec.ca have great technical wear and are a little less expensive than most.