Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2021, 15:50   #1

Canadian Buying in Florida

Hi all. I'm a Canuck that is planning to purchase in Florida to spend a few seasons in the Bahamas. I've done some searching with no success and wonder if anyone might be able to direct me to some resources to begin to get a handle on the necessary paperwork/requirements. Love to hear from some fellow Canadians who have purchased in FL.

Cheers!
Privateer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 16:54   #2

Boat: Shopping...
Re: Canadian Buying in Florida

Hi Privateer,

I am in the exact situation as yours; waiting for the border to re-open so I can drive down to Florida and find my next boat.
I have a friend who happen to be a broker in St-Petersburg who will assist me with regulations, taxes…

I will follow this thread closely!

Good luck with your shopping,

Marc
Old 29-08-2021, 17:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC D View Post
Hi Privateer,

I am in the exact situation as yours; waiting for the border to re-open so I can drive down to Florida and find my next boat.
I have a friend who happen to be a broker in St-Petersburg who will assist me with regulations, taxes…

I will follow this thread closely!

Good luck with your shopping,

Marc
If you learn anything along the way, please share. COVID willing, I’ll be heading down Oct 22 from TO after a wedding (I’m in BC). There used to be a Canadian fellow on Facebook who bought in FL and was a great source of info. He seemed to have vanished a few years ago.
Privateer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 17:23   #4

Boat: Shopping...

Will do!
Old 29-08-2021, 19:14   #5

Boat: CL14 #1179

Following, I’m interested in tax implications for Canadians, deadlines for leaving the state etc., google isn't much help.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 19:32   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

The Florida Dept. of Revnue has a document discussing this in detail.

https://floridarevenue.com/Forms_lib...t/gt800005.pdf

Of particular interest for the OP see the section on non-resident purchases within Florida and the requirements for avoiding tax. Also look at the differences between private-party sales and sales through a broker.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 08:54   #7

Boat: Belize 43

I , a Canadian bought a US registered boat in Fla 3 years ago. The boat had a Coast Guard documentation and had been registered in Delaware. I retained a consultant to make a submission to the CG to de document the vessel. A couple of 100$. I then wrote to the Delaware Fish and Wildlife to de register the vessel. Repies received in days. I then contacted the Cnd Dept of Transport and applied for Cnd Registration. Icould have documented the boat in Ont. , but prefered Reg. The Reg the boat it had to be officially measured and tonnage calculated. There are only a few surveyors with DOT qualifications to do this in Fla. The survey took a coupleof weeks to organize and cost 1000$ or so. List of qualified surveyors on DOT website. Had to pick aname not in use and apply. Ittook about a month to get an answer. In the meantime I got a permit to proceed as an undocumented vessel rom Customs to move the boat . After somany days you have to take the boat out of FLa water to avoid Fla sales tax. I applied to FLa for the 90 day extension . DOT came through with the registration I cleared out and headed forthe Bahamas.
Row Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 09:02   #8

Boat: C&C

The biggest problem you'll most likely face is not getting your Canadian registration from Transport Canada within the 90 day period to remove the boat from Florida. Ours took roughly the 90 days, then we went into the CBP Florida office and they granted us a 1 year cruising permit to stay in the US. Others I'm told weren't as lucky?
You will need an original copy of your new registration to enter The Bahamas with. So that can be the tricky part. I'm told that Transport Canada is a little quicker these days. But don't forget they will mail it to your address in Canada, then you'll need to get it couriered to you in Florida and have a weather window to cross over. I'm told you can go into the local CBP office, plead your case and get an extension for staying in Florida till you receive your Canadian registration.
Go into the local office before final purchase of your boat and get a decision from them.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 09:08   #9

Good point. I called DoT and explained the 90 day limit. I got the regidtration with 10 dsys or so to spare. They couriered it yo me in FLa. It worked out well. I do not know how long provincial documentation takes. Last time I documented a boat was 40 yrs ago and it took half an hour in person.
Old 30-08-2021, 09:10   #10

I am not sure how this related to my message. Sorry if Ihave offended you.
Old 30-08-2021, 10:12   #11
Marine Service Provider

You will have to be satisfied with a state (Florida?)registered boat since only US citizens or companies controlled by US citizens, can own US Coast Guard documented (US Flag) vessels. USCG documentation (or similar from your home country) is more useful when visiting most foreign destinations.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 10:47   #12

As a Canadian, I purchased a 41 footer to sail the Islands and I had no intentions of importing the vessel to Canada and had the intention of leaving it in Ft Lauderdale when not in use. I bought it, paid the Broward county sales tax of 6% no problem. I flew a Canadian flag for customs and immigration upon my many returns. Never a problem. Over time I things changed and I was advised to get an exit paper and had three days to leave. Handed it in upon my return. The boat takes on the Nationality of the Owner/Captain even though the boat had a registered in Florida sticker paid yearly 75$ or 125$. A few years later I bought a second sailboat. Same registration.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 11:56   #13

First step is to get a buyers broker. It costs you nothing as he/she is paid by the seller’s broker. A good one will know all the in and outs of a Canadian purchasing a US boat.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 13:54   #14

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Row Bear View Post
I am not sure how this related to my message. Sorry if Ihave offended you.
Seems like the very existence of Canadians offends him. Maybe it's their FREEDOM from extortionist medical bills, or just that Canadians are so damned NICE - a trait that some angry pop-offs on this forum lack...
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 14:52   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Row Bear View Post
I , a Canadian bought a US registered boat in Fla 3 years ago. The boat had a Coast Guard documentation and had been registered in Delaware. I retained a consultant to make a submission to the CG to de document the vessel. A couple of 100$. I then wrote to the Delaware Fish and Wildlife to de register the vessel. Repies received in days. I then contacted the Cnd Dept of Transport and applied for Cnd Registration. Icould have documented the boat in Ont. , but prefered Reg. The Reg the boat it had to be officially measured and tonnage calculated. There are only a few surveyors with DOT qualifications to do this in Fla. The survey took a coupleof weeks to organize and cost 1000$ or so. List of qualified surveyors on DOT website. Had to pick aname not in use and apply. Ittook about a month to get an answer. In the meantime I got a permit to proceed as an undocumented vessel rom Customs to move the boat . After somany days you have to take the boat out of FLa water to avoid Fla sales tax. I applied to FLa for the 90 day extension . DOT came through with the registration I cleared out and headed forthe Bahamas.
You are confusing "US State registration", "US Federal documentation", "Cdn Federal Registration and "Canadian Federal Licensing". Provinces in Canada neither license, document nor register vessels. These are strictly Federal Transport Canada issues.

Tags
buying, florida