Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2014, 13:44   #466
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Call for Help/ This American Life (Merged)

Salty..whats with all the spanking?
Old 16-05-2014, 13:47   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Saltey..whats with all the spanking?
You really don't want to go there, do you?
Old 16-05-2014, 13:48   #468
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You really don't want to go there, do you?
no sir........ I dont think I do.

Old 16-05-2014, 13:48   #469
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Saltey..whats with all the spanking?
True Weavis. I need to use some Introspection. Ok which one - Metaphysical or Psychological?

hmmmmm...

Old 16-05-2014, 13:51   #470
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Call for Help/ This American Life (Merged)

Quote:
will be getting NimbleNavstick later in the year as a portable backup as recommended by Boatie and as used by him.

Ive tracked some of his voyages and ran them through weather charts etc to see WHY he changed course and where he plotted to go to.
Damned if he aint accurate!

I asked, he replied... "Nimble Navigator"
You asked which CP system I use.. its Nimble Navigator.. yes..
Weather is another thing.. and much as I may like to say I follow Mike's system and boost his product.. the truth is simpler..
I check and download the 7 day forecast off passage weather the morning I sail.. usually reasonable for wind direction.. wind speeds is another matter once offshore.. after day three its old fashioned Tarot Cards...
I just ran back down too and stayed with the S'lies once over the top of the Bahamas.. once there I read the swells and clouds and modified accordingly..
Had I not had the water problem I'd have stayed on track for Madeira and angled N a lot further E when I got headed..
As Mike said however.. doing these crossings as regularly as we do the Pilot Charts are not as relevant as they once were.. that Artic jet stream is changing things.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-05-2014, 13:52   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
True Weavis. I need to use some Introspection. Ok which one - Metaphysical or Psychological?

hmmmmm...

We're just hoping you don't branch into physical.
Old 16-05-2014, 13:56   #472
cruiser

Psychological Introspection (one flavour):

"After relaxing, the actor begins a Sense Memory exercise that will help with the recreation of the remembered event. The more specifically the actor creates the objects of the memory, the more fully the Affective Memory will work.

Strasberg stressed that during this part of the exploration, the actor should avoid "going for the emotion", by trying to "will" it to come on its own accord. He recommended the actor simply concentrate his full attention on the sensory aspects of the various elements of the actual memory: Where did the "event" take place? If in a room, describe the room in as much sensory detail as possible. Try to remember what you may have been wearing that moment, then sensorally recreate the clothing. What color was it? What material? Feel the material. Describe the patterns on the clothing. What season was it? What time of day? What objects are in the room with you. Touch them, see them, hear them, smell them or taste them.

If the actor dedicates his sensory apparatus fully to exploring these sensory memories, without regard to the resulting emotion, he may find at any point during the exploration, the reliving of the event, with the associated emotional experience is, without warning, triggered.

It also happens that the actor may be expecting to relive an emotion associated with a specific event from his life, and a quite different emotion is produced than expected. Something which might have been very painful in childhood, might cause us to laugh hysterically now.

When the resulting emotion is not as expected, the actor notes the result of the exercise to use for reference in other scenework that may call for that particular response. Then he tries once again to find the object that will appropriately affect him for the work in which he is presently involved.

For most actors, simply recalling a past event will not produce an honest and intense emotional response. Relaxation and Sense Memory is the "combination to the safe", where personal treasures of the actor's memories are stored away for the lifetime of the actor."

Comment:

To apply this you find the trigger event that brought the emotion and use that in a scene (not all of them that got you to that point). It could be something physical in the body, a way you grace your hand, or recalling the touch of an object on your cheek. The audience doesn't see this. You don't mime it.

But this isn't always consistent w/ a result. Sometimes it works for a while and sometimes it goes away and never comes back.

EDIT: All these "method" exercises were used as tools, fall back when you get into trouble in a scene. Historically, Stanislavki went way beyond this American misinterpretation of his "method" and the Pavlovian impetus within it. The method has also been bastardized to death by other charlatans (and sailors alike).
Old 16-05-2014, 13:56   #473
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You asked which CP system I use.. its Nimble Navigator.. yes..
Weather is another thing.. and much as I may like to say I follow Mike's system and boost his product.. the truth is simpler..
I check and download the 7 day forecast off passage weather the morning I sail.. usually reasonable for wind direction.. wind speeds is another matter once offshore.. after day three its old fashioned Tarot Cards...
I just ran back down too and stayed with the S'lies once over the top of the Bahamas.. once there I read the swells and clouds and modified accordingly..
Had I not had the water problem I'd have stayed on track for Madeira and angled N a lot further E when I got headed..
As Mike said however.. doing these crossings as regularly as we do the Pilot Charts are not as relevant as they once were.. that Artic jet stream is changing things.
Well that just takes you into $%#$^&^G Genius mode then dont it?!

LOl....... I did download the GRIB in OpenCPN and I believe it can be overlaid in nimble as well..(will check)
Thats what I thought you were doing.....it certainly followed the patterns.

hate bloody lifetime served ex navy boys...... they feel it whilst I have to chart everything..
Old 16-05-2014, 14:00   #474
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Psychological Introspection (one flavour):

"After relaxing, the actor begins a Sense Memory exercise that will help with the recreation of the remembered event. The more specifically the actor creates the objects of the memory, the more fully the Affective Memory will work.

Strasberg stressed that during this part of the exploration, the actor should avoid "going for the emotion", by trying to "will" it to come on its own accord. He recommended the actor simply concentrate his full attention on the sensory aspects of the various elements of the actual memory: Where did the "event" take place? If in a room, describe the room in as much sensory detail as possible. Try to remember what you may have been wearing that moment, then sensorally recreate the clothing. What color was it? What material? Feel the material. Describe the patterns on the clothing. What season was it? What time of day? What objects are in the room with you. Touch them, see them, hear them, smell them or taste them.

If the actor dedicates his sensory apparatus fully to exploring these sensory memories, without regard to the resulting emotion, he may find at any point during the exploration, the reliving of the event, with the associated emotional experience is, without warning, triggered.

It also happens that the actor may be expecting to relive an emotion associated with a specific event from his life, and a quite different emotion is produced than expected. Something which might have been very painful in childhood, might cause us to laugh hysterically now.

When the resulting emotion is not as expected, the actor notes the result of the exercise to use for reference in other scenework that may call for that particular response. Then he tries once again to find the object that will appropriately affect him for the work in which he is presently involved.

For most actors, simply recalling a past event will not produce an honest and intense emotional response. Relaxation and Sense Memory is the "combination to the safe", where personal treasures of the actor's memories are stored away for the lifetime of the actor."

Comment:

To apply this you find the trigger event that brought the emotion and use that in a scene. It could be something physical in the body, a way you grace your hand, or recalling the touch of an object on your cheek. The audience doesn't see this. You don't mime it.

But this isn't always consistent w/ a result. Sometimes it works for a while and sometimes it goes away and never comes back.
Goodness Salty!
All I asked was that we all look and see if we have a trait that causes a recurring problem..!!

Call in the clinic tomorrow morning and we will discuss everything over a nice cup of tea and milk chocolate digestive biscuits.

We can even go for a sail if the weather has abated on the Solent.....
Old 16-05-2014, 14:11   #475
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well that just takes you into $%#$^&^G Genius mode then dont it?!

LOl....... I did download the GRIB in OpenCPN and I believe it can be overlaid in nimble as well..(will check)
Thats what I thought you were doing.....it certainly followed the patterns.

hate bloody lifetime served ex navy boys...... they feel it whilst I have to chart everything..
Mate.. I'm a Luddite.. ask Mike how long it took me to get a grip of what he was trying to teach me on his very user friendly system..
Grib files.. hell.. only see them on others laptops.. how they get there's a total mystery.. and a lot further than I'm prepared to go..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-05-2014, 14:12   #476
CLOD

Boat: none

What the heck
Old 16-05-2014, 14:17   #477
cruiser

Quote:
We can even go for a sail if the weather has abated on the Solent.....
Meet me at Mullion Cove near The Lizard. Bring Atoll, a lobster, and the biscuits. There is a smugglers cave in the back. A map is in the cave. It explains the nature of existence and was co-written by Samuel Pepys and Plato.

this is a wondrous thing.
Old 16-05-2014, 14:17   #478
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mate.. I'm a Luddite..

Grib files.. hell.. only see them on others laptops.. how they get there's a total mystery.. and a lot further than I'm prepared to go..
Michele my lovely nurse is shouting at me from the back room because she knows Im spraying coffee on her computer....... poor girl, of all the people she could have worked for she got me.......
Old 16-05-2014, 15:05   #479

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Great post right up to the ps.

How can anybody counsel a homeless father of two young kids to give away $18k?

That would be irresponsible. It's his money, and he can do with it as he likes, but I would hope he would use it as it was intended: to support his young family in a time of crisis.
I agree. I choose who or what I want to support, and I chose Eric and his family.

Eric, so glad you are back on CF, I missed ya.

After all that has been said, I still have no questions as to your seamanship abilities. As you might know, I'm still caring for my 95 year old dad after 5 years and will continue. When the time comes that I can resume my own life, I wonder if I will still want to cruise solo at my age.

Eric, when that time comes, if your not already cruising again, maybe we could join forces on a late model catamaran? I think our combined skill sets would make for some great long distance cruising.

This offer probably should have been in a PM, but I'm always having to move old PMs to Word to clear my box and I'm not near as popular as you.
Old 16-05-2014, 15:19   #480
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What the heck
Damn... almost drifted right off then...

Closed Thread

Tags
cal, sail, sailboat