Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2014, 18:43   #316

re: Call for Help/ This American Life (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Anyone who has been subjected to having their words and actions dissected and pored over by a single prosecutor in front of a roomful of people will still probably struggle to imagine what that might feel like when dozens do so simultaneously on an international forum. We have not been appointed or mandated to stand in judgement here.

I hope this process is working for someone, somewhere, because it's certainly not working for me.

Old 14-05-2014, 18:45   #317
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post

I hope this process is working for someone, somewhere, because it's certainly not working for me.
+1
Old 14-05-2014, 18:46   #318

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Eric and Charlotte really created their own celebrity status. Between their blog and their Facebook, and Eric's extremely prolific forum postings, they put their life out there, down to the most intimate details, for people to observe and ultimately to judge. It's sort of like a celebrity who gets himself an agent and goes on every talk show, appears on all the magazine covers, romances the reporters on the red carpet, and then cries foul when people want to pry into their personal lives.

Everyone who has been following his story for awhile feels like they know Eric, like they've been personally invited into his life, to participate in his conversations and be a part of his inner circle. So now, when the most significant conversation of all is taking place is it any wonder that everyone wants a seat at the table.
Old 14-05-2014, 18:48   #319
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Taking small kids far offshore is serious business, if not outright "Candide thinking" especially for someone who isn't prepared to the absolute highest standards even with budget constraints. It is always better to be on the dock continuing to plan and wishing you were out there than being out there and wishing you were back on the dock.
Ok, this gets my vote for best post on this tread. Indisputable fact
Old 14-05-2014, 18:51   #320

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Fer real. Lets not pat this guy on the head, he's a big boy, and there is plenty to learn here for plenty of people. I'm unsure why some people are so sensitive about dissecting this, just like Eric has done himself in the past. Because it is a useful exercise.

I think it was Europa who's missive stated there was nothing left to learn here, that it was solely a decision made because of the sick child. I't is way more complicated than that, and worthy of discussion, even if he made the right decision in the end, given the set of circumstances he faced, whether natural, or as a result of his own vessel prep and management as a skipper.

This guy is tough, he's been on the other side of this more than once, just let it play out. Issues about boat construction, preventers, crew care and repair attempts are all very interesting. There is a pretty good body of "data", with thousands of prior posts and the blog, and for those with more investigative personalities, and natural skeptics, the information is compeling. It is true that the less info that is available, the more people want it. This isn't a cut and dry case about a sick chlld. It is a cascade starting days, months and years prior potentially. Why is that hurtful to look into that as a learning opportunity? Are we afraid that we might find out he is human, and blew it on this and that? I'd be stewing on every decision I made in a situation like this, and actively looking for what I may have screwed up. I totally get that Eric doesn't want to get into that right now. There could be some very important reasons for that. Still though, facts are intoxicating, the more the better at 21:50
Old 14-05-2014, 19:03   #321

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

When I saw someone needed a map to find the starboard quarter, it helped me to realize the large diversity of folks engaged in this conversation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ha! My thoughts exactly. For the poster who thought a chainplate could be at your stbd or port quarter (not that there's anything wrong with not knowing but lack of this knowledge may disqualify one from such strong boat related opinions....) I wonder if that's where your running back stay chainplates attached
Old 14-05-2014, 19:08   #322
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Seriously, what have you all really learned that you didn't already know before this incident? What are you all hiding behind?

I can guarantee, bet a heavy bet even, that everyone of us who is reading this thread will F U in their own unique creative inventive personal way regardless of what we think we "learn" from threads such as this one. Nature will always find a weak link and there are an infinite number to choose from.

Pick your poison.
Old 14-05-2014, 19:17   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I can guarantee, bet a heavy bet even, that everyone of us who is reading this thread will F U in their own unique creative inventive personal way regardless of what we think we "learn" from threads such as this one. Nature will always find a weak link and there are an infinite number to choose from.

Pick your poison.
Old 14-05-2014, 19:18   #324

Boat: Golden Gate 30

This thread makes me wonder what the weak link in our boat is and what the first thing to fail will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Adodero asked (a couple of pages back) about water for the Mexico-Marquesas trip, and this is certainly soomething that has changed a lot over the years. We left with two 25 gal. tanks full, known consumption of 2 qts. per day, and in addition carried a 5 gal jerry jug for emergency use, it was lashed in the cockpit. We also carried a large sun shower. We also caught water off the mainsail to replenish out tanks in squalls, but did not capture it off the deck. We also had a cockpit awning for use at anchor for catching water--and we still are able to catch rainwater, although now our water tanks are a lot bigger. We used salt water to pre-wash the dishes, and for bathing ourselves, and the sunshower, sparingly, for a rinse off. We also chased squalls for showers, but gave up after the rain kept quitting after we were all soaped up. You get good at dipping a bucket for sea water to rinse off the soap, and finish with just enough to de-salt. And we saved up the laundry till we got to land. It never seemed onerous, it was just how it was. We did carry a Power Survivor 35, which had a manual override, so we could have made enough water to keep us alive, even in the event of power failure.
Good to know, thanks for the info. I was really curious how it's changed over the years.

Our last boat had thru hulls drilled through the deck and it took me over a year to figure out what they were. Apparently, they were a part of a rainwater collection system and the prior owner cut the valves/tubing out, leaving just the thru hulls, so it wasn't evident what it was. I always thought it was a cool idea, but was curious how effective it was.
Old 14-05-2014, 19:20   #325
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Seriously, what have you all really learned that you didn't already know before this incident? What are you all hiding behind?

Pick your poison.
I wouldn't have thought it possible to agree with you, but your right. Nothing new has been brought out that we all didn't think weeks ago.

I also agree we all will **. Some of us several serious times in our lives. It's how you handle the ** afterwards that really matters, right? You have to own up to it, work through it, over come it, learn from it, and then forget it.
Old 14-05-2014, 19:36   #326
cruiser

Quote:
I can guarantee, bet a heavy bet even, that everyone of us who is reading this thread will F U in their own unique creative inventive personal way regardless of what we think we "learn" from threads such as this one.
Well, your first part is absolutely right. I am certain that as I work on my boat for our upcoming passage (learning a lot as I go just as RH did), I'm in the process of screwing up something that will really bite us. I'm also absolutely certain that I'll screw up again when we're out there. To think otherwise is hubris. Hopefully it just won't all add up at once into a real catastrophe.

But it's completely asinine to then conclude one shouldn't try to learn from others' experiences. You may prefer willful ignorance, monkey. I don't.

Cheoah nailed it. It's simply about learning. I guarantee you there are people out there who own these types of boats who are now going to be looking into these things to make sure their boats don't have the same kinds of failures. That's a good thing.

PS - This is one of my favorites thus far from 2009:

http://www.therebelheart.com/blog/20...hekeelcom.html
Quote:
I had an old domain name "thekeel.com", and an old copy of vbulletin lying around. That, and I used to belong to cruisers forum, but have really been let down lately by the type of people on there.
I don't think I was posting during that time (I'd never heard of the guy until the thing). So you can't blame me.
Old 14-05-2014, 19:48   #327

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Is anyone else here curious about smackdaddy's putative boat? and his agenda here?

He is the one who brought up the chainplate location question and posted the chartlet of the boat claiming to not know where the starboard quarter was. The ways he's developed his participation here makes me wonder whether he's a writer, using this thread to mine info, or has some other hidden agenda?
Old 14-05-2014, 19:52   #328

Quote:
Is anyone else here curious about smackdaddy's putative boat? and his agenda here?

He is the one who brought up the chainplate location question and posted the chartlet of the boat claiming to not know where the starboard quarter was. The ways he's developed his participation here makes me wonder whether he's a writer, using this thread to mine info, or has some other hidden agenda?
Nah. He's just a regular/run-o'-the-mill sciolist like the rest of us.
Old 14-05-2014, 19:59   #329

He's very prolific over at Sailing Anarchy also.
Old 14-05-2014, 20:04   #330
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
He's very prolific over at Sailing Anarchy also.
Why thank you!

Quote:
Oh, and AnneT - it's a Hunter, not a Putative.

I rarely post here, but when I do...it's interesting.

Heh-heh.
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, sail, sailboat