Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 11:56   #76

Boat: csy 37
re: Call for Help/ This American Life (Merged)

in all the turmoil i almost forgot -

happy mothers day,

Charlotte!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:09   #77

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Thanks to Rebel Heart for answering some of the burning questions. I look forward to listening to the interview tomorrow.

For everyone's info, Canadian Coast Guard are still monitoring VHF Chan 16 & MF 2182 kHz "for the foreseeable future"--but I doubt that would have done Rebel Heart any good.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:10   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Hi Eric,

Glad you have all made it back safely. My condolences about the loss of your home.

I don't want to distract from all the fun dissecting or second guessing your decisions, but I am more than a little curious to know how you have enjoyed your fifteen minutes so far?

I have dealt with/encountered some celebrity-types professionally and I will always remember a comment a friend made once when he said "I've never met anyone famous who didn't want to be"

It strikes me that the same cannot be said for infamy, and I am curious to know your thoughts about your experience dealing with the media.

I believe it's always better to regret the things you have done than the things you didn't do. Do you have any regrets about things you did or didn't do?

We all know how to best prepare ourselves with guns and anchors, any thought son how to survive a media storm?

Cheers!
The media has been a whole crazy bag all in of itself. In general you feel a bit like a ragdoll: you wake up and can pull up Google News and see what new bs has been generated by whomever. You watch the loser of the family on his porch steps, who managed to put the bong down long enough to run his mouth on a camera.

The media response itself was incredibly telling. I was getting texts from cute 25 year old producers who wanted to take me "no strings attached" for drinks, fly us to NYC, put us back on the air for our (non existent) book deal, etc.

I gave the wheel to the 129th as a momento, and someone in some newspaper laid into me for wasting Navy time with me taking it as a souvenir for my own.

Eventually you just start laughing at it, curiously wondering where it all will go. It's like watching a drunk stagger down a street. Will he go left, right, stop for a bit? Puke? Turn around and punch you?

If I had to do it all over again I obviously wouldn't leave the dock, but there's not a whole hell of a lot I think in hindsight I could have reasonably done or any glaring oversights I made.

When we decided to scuttle the boat I told my wife that for the ~$100k that we'd spent on the boat, we had a home for 8 years, had amazing adventures, and experienced life more than most do in a lifetime. So for the money, we got plenty out of it.

I told my wife we could buy another boat, I can't buy another family. Boats are just money.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:13   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Could SV Rebel Heart have continued on and made it to her destination? Maybe, maybe not. But we do know that Charlotte is enjoying Mother's day with her children. Losing a boat is a bad thing. Things could have turned out a lot worse.
Could Eric have sailed her solo the rest of the way? Maybe, maybe not. Father's day is coming up.

goat
I'm pretty positive the boat itself could have made it, although the water was exceeding the electronic bilge pump's capacity so it would have needed manual pumping at least once (and more like three times) a day.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:15   #80
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The water came in primarily when we shipped green water, but also just when the rail was in the water. The aft starboard railings took a decent hit; our solar panel on that side went into the drink and some of the rails vanished.
So, to rephrase it, some of the rails were ripped out from deck when solar panel submerged. IMHO this explains the forces acting on/near the hull-deck joint nicely. From engineering pov this leads to questions, how strong (and where) should solar panels attachments be? What should fail first? Certainly, a food for thought. Thank you, Eric, and it is good to see you all safe and be able to tell the story.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:19   #81

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
I'm pretty positive the boat itself could have made it, although the water was exceeding the electronic bilge pump's capacity so it would have needed manual pumping at least once (and more like three times) a day.
If I suppose the sea state stayed the same. Hopefully you would not have had the rail under water for too much longer.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:21   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Would you care to comment on the mental state of all concerned, was there a will to continue, it would definitely seem from the blogs, that it was tough going for all concerned.?

dave
I actually found some videos of us having a grand old time dancing around the cabin around day 7 or so I think, when we were just entering the easterly trades. Our mood only really went south in the last few days when Lyra got worse and the boat took some hits. The weather got crummy around then too.

We definitely were in a beefy seaway at the equatorial counter current and ITCZ so it was as much fun as foul weather and breaking seas are with a sick kid, but not so much that we wanted to walk the plank.

Charlotte has always been fairly honest about the good times and bad times, I just think that's in stark contrast to most sailing blogs which tend to only mention beautiful sunsets and morning mimosas.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:25   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
So, to rephrase it, some of the rails were ripped out from deck when solar panel submerged. IMHO this explains the forces acting on/near the hull-deck joint nicely. From engineering pov this leads to questions, how strong (and where) should solar panels attachments be? What should fail first? Certainly, a food for thought. Thank you, Eric, and it is good to see you all safe and be able to tell the story.
The vertical stanchions were still in the deck, so I don't think it wrenched the deck if that's what we're talking about. Oddly enough, the outboard was actually off it's bracket as well (starboard side), so you can imagine the amount of heel and wave energy you'd need to dismount an outboard that was clamped onto a piece of wood on the rails.

A few days earlier I had lazily put the fishing rod lanyard onto the outboard when I removed my fishing pole, and the outboard in the morning was just gliding around in the water by a piece of thin dacron.
Old 11-05-2014, 13:01   #84

Boat: Owens

Welcome back to the forum Eric, I've been praying for you and Charlotte since seeing the initial news reports prior to the rescue team reaching you. Your family is together and safe, that's all that matters to me.

Be well. ~Craig

Craig
Old 11-05-2014, 13:30   #85
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I actually found some videos of us having a grand old time dancing around the cabin around day 7 or so I think, when we were just entering the easterly trades. Our mood only really went south in the last few days when Lyra got worse and the boat took some hits. The weather got crummy around then too.

We definitely were in a beefy seaway at the equatorial counter current and ITCZ so it was as much fun as foul weather and breaking seas are with a sick kid, but not so much that we wanted to walk the plank.

Charlotte has always been fairly honest about the good times and bad times, I just think that's in stark contrast to most sailing blogs which tend to only mention beautiful sunsets and morning mimosas.
Thank you for responding, Yes I agree Charlottes blog was very interesting window into her thinking. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Im always interested in the human side to rescue/abandonment, rather then the technical side .

Again best of luck with your next adventure

dave
Old 11-05-2014, 17:37   #86

Boat: Tartan 40
I really appreciate when blogs contain more raw thoughts and emotions. The worse is reading all the "life is great" when you know everything has its ups and downs.
RH tell Charlotte that her blog posts are a great insight into "true" sailing spouse thoughts which any of us wanting to sail further with less experienced sailing spouses need to appreciate and plan around. Not so much a "don't do it" as a "think about this..."
Old 11-05-2014, 19:52   #87

Boat: Golden Gate 30

My wife and I have followed your story since we first saw it here. I am disgusted by many of the responses you received and broke the most important rule of the internet, never read the comments, which furthered my disgust. We are glad for your safe return.

I am curious about your situation with the satphone, have you reached out to the provider/manufacturer and "explained" your situation with them? I find it really disturbing that a service that is provided for "off the grid" communications would pull the plug like that. I think I'd be throwing a bit of a stink about it and it may sway future decisions for us in comms equipment.
Old 11-05-2014, 20:30   #88

We went cruising with our young daughter on our Hans Christian 38 and would do it again in a heartbeat. Our second time sailing to Hawaii we had 2 predominant swell directions (north and east) that would occasionally really pile up to make huge seas that could have caused a broach.

What I can't believe is some of the ridiculous criticism Rebel Heart have been subjected to. The only tragedy that occurred here was the media and armchair sailors criticizing a family who dared to live and ask for more out of life than a mediocre job and a house in the suburbs. Bravo Rebel Heart!

I look at taking young kids cruising on a sturdy offshore boat like Rebel Heart as the most reasonable and caring things a family can do for their kids!
Old 11-05-2014, 20:34   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I pretty much dead reckon'd from Washington to Cabo San Lucas. My Sat Nav rarely came up with a location. I tried Celestial but the seas were too bouncy for me to have any accuracy.. if I could locate the sun at all anyway. I was surprised how accurate long distance DR was. Of course I was probably within 100 miles of the coast the whole time anyway.
Kinda surprised the Tayana 37 had a hull/deck joint issue from broaching though! I've heard of it on Cheoy Lees. Wonder if the chainplate forces from the knockdown did it?
I do feel better knowing they abandoned the boat for a major crisis though.. although it shouldn't matter.. their decision!

Old 11-05-2014, 21:11   #90
cruiser

Quote:
The media has been a whole crazy bag all in of itself. In general you feel a bit like a ragdoll: you wake up and can pull up Google News and see what new bs has been generated by whomever. You watch the loser of the family on his porch steps, who managed to put the bong down long enough to run his mouth on a camera.

The media response itself was incredibly telling. I was getting texts from cute 25 year old producers who wanted to take me "no strings attached" for drinks, fly us to NYC, put us back on the air for our (non existent) book deal, etc.

I gave the wheel to the 129th as a momento, and someone in some newspaper laid into me for wasting Navy time with me taking it as a souvenir for my own.

Eventually you just start laughing at it, curiously wondering where it all will go. It's like watching a drunk stagger down a street. Will he go left, right, stop for a bit? Puke? Turn around and punch you?
Where you guys take it from here will make all the difference. If you slide into the media thing, the thing you've just described in not-so-glowing terms, it likely won't end well for any of you.

It's your call. It's your family. So what's important to you guys?
Closed Thread

Tags
cal, sail, sailboat