Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 12:44   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: California bans the sale of Denatured Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually its the same jerry Brown . Not father and son . Newsom now he is Pelosi's nephew so you know where this one is going.
Lastly I'm from Washington you are right but at least we have some sense we didn't allow the left to completely takeover . ( yet)
Sorry but father and son. Pat Brown (1959-1967), Ronald Reagan (1967-1975), then Jerry Brown (1975-1983). Reagan left a $750 million surplus. Jerry went thru that like grease thru a goose.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 13:04   #92
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

from 1952-54 i lived in altadena. it was the most glorious place on earth. we were able to see over the smog layer until 3 pm. was awesome.
had to live in long island ny for 13 of the most growing up years i ever knew hahahahaha aged 6-18. whoopee. then st louis then az then ran back to cali; what a difference a few decades made. but it was still gorgeous and fun place. it wasnot until the 2000s that the place earned its fasicsti part of its name. used to be a totally impressive and beautiful place to be.
i no longer carry the love in me that used to be known for the beautiful golden state, now trashheap with feces and corruption and filth. sorry, califascistifornicatia earned all of its name. overregulation of that not needing regulation is calis forte

what usedto be overpopulated beauty isnow grossly overpopulated trashheap in a beautiful setting, no one can kill the gorgeous scenery, but the politicos are killing the state.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 13:06   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Sorry but father and son. Pat Brown (1959-1967), Ronald Reagan (1967-1975), then Jerry Brown (1975-1983). Reagan left a $750 million surplus. Jerry went thru that like grease thru a goose.

I was specifically referring to moonbeam multiple times as governor . 1975 to 1983 and again from 2011 to 2019. Started screwing the state in late 197O'Sullivan and finished the job in the 20 teens .
Old 03-10-2019, 13:08   #94

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
... Oddly, their site ranks acetone as exempt for some reason. The list of controlled or proposed controlled is illogical.
Actually, the reasons do have some logic. The Federal government is the one who defined the term VOC:

Quote:
Volatile organic compounds (VOC) means any compound of carbon, excluding carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, carbonic acid, metallic carbides or carbonates, and ammonium carbonate, which participates in atmospheric photochemical reactions.
which is an unfortunate definition, because it links volatility with reactivity, and they aren't necessarily linked. Acetone is exempt because it is fairly unreactive, especially photochemically, which is of concern in the atmosphere.

CARB prefers the term reactive organic gas (ROG) but is required by law to limit VOCs because of federal requirements. You can see a bit of discussion here along with a list of the exemptions and the logic for some (and the lobbying/special interest reasoning for others).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 13:29   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

FWIW, went to Home Depot this morning in Oceanside, CA, no alcohol. Asked a clerk and said it was no longer available in CA. Went from there to West Marine in Oceanside. They had two gallons left which I bought. They didn't know for sure Alcohol was banned but said there had been a run on it.

Now that I have to save the alcohol for my just installed Origo stove, what can be used to clean up Epoxy resin?? Have used Acetone but it flashes off so fast and leaves goo so it doesn't work for crap.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 13:32   #96

Boat: Outremer 50S

Have you tried white vinegar for your epoxy? Works pretty well for cleanup as long as the epoxy is not yet past the initial gel stage in curing.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 14:06   #97

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

You can probably find isopropanol in a drug store. Rubbing alcohol.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 14:42   #98

Ethyl alcohol is denatured alcohol
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 15:40   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Ethyl alcohol is denatured alcohol
yep drinking alcohol with a bit of other stuff added to make it poison to drink.
Like the stuff I get straight out of my still . All I have to do is collect it all and not give the devil his cut.. Becomes naturally denatured due to the small amount of Esther and the methanol in what is normally called the devils cut.
Old 03-10-2019, 16:24   #100

The weather is great until the whole state is on fire and visible from the space station. How do you like your weather now !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 19:21   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post

So first off it was a $554M surplus, again with the easily checked facts. Another interesting fact, perhaps more relevant for having happened this year rather than nearly half a century ago, Governor Jerry Brown left the state with a $6.1 billion budget surplus when he left after his last term in 2019.(https://www.wsj.com/articles/jerry-b...-in-california) It would seem if you judge a man based on his budget surplus upon leaving office for the final time, as you appear to do, you'll have to put Governor Brown right up there in the pantheon with Saint Ronney!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 19:41   #102

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

As a native-born and California resident, I feel the state has been stolen.

Gee, state colleges and universities here were once tuition-free. After the Great Society, taxes have multiplied and tuitions became large, and infrastructure deteriorated. Flooded with immigrants creating a housing shortage and high rents and housing prices.
Old 03-10-2019, 21:10   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Have you tried white vinegar for your epoxy? Works pretty well for cleanup as long as the epoxy is not yet past the initial gel stage in curing.
Will give white vinegar a try. It's probably cheaper than alcohol at Costco in two gallon packs.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 23:46   #104

Boat: Island Packet 40

I'm looking forward to the movies and TV series about the intestate bootleggers dodging the cops whilst they run denatured alcohol into California for the marine stove users.

Strange that they want you to burn more of it in your motor car and less in your marine stove???
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:10   #105
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Will give white vinegar a try. It's probably cheaper than alcohol at Costco in two gallon packs.
In some ways I find it better. The vinegar reacts with the part B (hardener) component of the epoxy mix and prevents it from doing it's job. The mix remains in an uncured state and is mechanically removed (scrappers, rags, paper towels etc).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, grass, sale