Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2019, 13:09   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: California bans the sale of Denatured Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
You'd think someone would be able to find a link to the text of this so-called law if it exists? I see a bunch of noise on bulletin boards like this one, a CARB working group on the subject in June, and a bunch of minimum wage folks at stores, but no actual regulation? Anyone?
banned due to VOC'S IAW THE California Clean Air Act.
Did it after the June teleconference.
The California Air Resources Board Is Considering Further Reductions in Consumer Products’ VOC Content to Reduce California’s Emissions Under the California Clean Air Act - Bick Law LLP
Old 02-10-2019, 13:14   #32

Quote:
You'd think someone would be able to find a link to the text of this so-called law if it exists? I see a bunch of noise on bulletin boards like this one, a CARB working group on the subject in June, and a bunch of minimum wage folks at stores, but no actual regulation? Anyone?
Maybe not much different from what you've found, but this environmental law firm has some info, including a link to a draft of current law, I believe.

A ban on denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, and similar sounds nuts, I agree... all I can say is that we've failed to address the problems caused by the big emitters and polluters, so now all the emitters big or small are being targeted. Deck chairs, Titanic, etc.

I do love hearing all the rough tough seafarers whining about plastic straw bans. Do your drinks have little umbrellas too?

[edit -newhaul beat me to that link]
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 13:16   #33

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

You could always move to oregon, but that seems to be heading the same way due to all of the crazies in Portland. Really it all comes down to the tyranny of big cities which want to institute laws for the rest of us and detest those who actually like to get outdoors and fish, hunt, camp, sail, etc.

The previous owner of our boat was a nice Navy officer that lived and sailed out of Sausalito for years but moved to florida for retirement 25 years ago. The stories he tells about the wonderful sailing off the west coast and Channel Islands makes me sad to hear that now for instance, you have to get a damn permit to land a dinghy on Catalina for instance!
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 13:58   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well, when you are landing where it is not public land, yes, but even on the portion of Channel Island National Park that is controlled by the nature conservancy, you need a permit, but that’s been true since it was all private land. It is not hard to get a permit. In fact they sent me one for free last summer because I helped them out a bit!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 14:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Maybe not much different from what you've found, but this environmental law firm has some info, including a link to a draft of current law, I believe.

A ban on denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, and similar sounds nuts, I agree... all I can say is that we've failed to address the problems caused by the big emitters and polluters, so now all the emitters big or small are being targeted. Deck chairs, Titanic, etc.

I do love hearing all the rough tough seafarers whining about plastic straw bans. Do your drinks have little umbrellas too?

These are all links to stakeholder engagement groups and proposed regulations. A regulation isn't a regulation until it's published. This "regulation" appears to be a phantom, until it can be cited it doesn't exist. Perhaps sales staff in stores aren't the best people to get legal information from?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 14:36   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
The inmates are running the asylum. Not just in California.
You have that correct and it seems California is leading with the no. of inmates in charge. As I recall denatured was to keep people from drinking it, I think during prohibition. Jim Bean might work. To be serious, I'll bet there is an alternative.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 15:21   #37
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Can anyone find ANY legislation in California that proves there is a "ban" on denatured alcohol? It appears only some carcinogenic additives have been banned.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 15:40   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
Can anyone find ANY legislation in California that proves there is a "ban" on denatured alcohol? It appears only some carcinogenic additives have been banned.
go ask the local city council why you can't purchase denatured alcohol at the hardware store and let the world know .

The carb compliance California EPA doesn't need laws to deem something illegal.
Old 02-10-2019, 15:40   #39

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

The big polluter and emitter is CHINA.
Per person numbers are a good way to look at it.
See Wikipedia's chart, especially the third from the far right column.
It compares 1990 to 2017 so you can see who is improving and who's making bigger messes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xide_emissions

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 16:05   #40

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
Here’s the response I got from the Air Resource Board:

The CARB Consumer Products Regulation can be found on our website here:

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/consprod/regs/regs.htm

In the case of denatured alcohol products specifically, they could potentially be subject to the “Multi-purpose Solvent” definition that was adopted in 2013, or other definitions, depending on how they are labeled for use. CARB has not adopted a limit specifically for denatured alcohol.

Please contact me if you have any additional questions.
Josh
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 16:18   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It seems California has also banned mineral spirits?
Maybe due or VOC’s? But isn’t acetone 1000 times worse?
Can you go to the drunk store and buy a bottle of PGA, AKA everclear, 190 proof Ethanol? That should work but I’m sure cost more.
Funny thing.. the guy at the hardware store said acetone was next so stock up now if you use it regularly..

Another fellow said that what will likely happen is they will reformulate it removing the VOC’s but who knows if that’s the case and if so I can imagine they price will go up substantially and the product won’t be nearly as good.. oh well
Akafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:08   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akafred View Post
Funny thing.. the guy at the hardware store said acetone was next so stock up now if you use it regularly..

Another fellow said that what will likely happen is they will reformulate it removing the VOC’s but who knows if that’s the case and if so I can imagine they price will go up substantially and the product won’t be nearly as good.. oh well
Since as the previous poster just pointed out, denatured alcohol has in fact NOT been recently banned, then again perhaps the hardware guy isn't the best source to listen to when it comes to information on regulatory policy?

Basically, as I suspected, a bunch of people who know nothing about this specific regulation or apparently anything about the process of regulation have worked themselves into a frenzy about something that DIDN'T EVEN HAPPEN based apparently entirely on information sourced from store clerks and internet bulletin boards. You really all ought to think about what other beliefs you have predicated on equally shaky sources?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:14   #43

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Conspiracy Alert!!!!

Redneckrob must be a secret gummint official, trying to prevent any of us stocking up on acetone and alcohol.

What's next, banning breathing because it emits carbon dioxide, a "greenhouse gas"?
Everybody !! BREATHE DEEP WHILE YOU CAN !!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:30   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenator View Post
This is insanity. I swear to God there are window lickers that are running things in government. Of course they haven't banned drinking alcohol. Because they all sound drunk making these brain dead feel good laws . Like denatured alcohol for someones stove is the bane of man
Ethanol is mixed apx 10 % with gasoline.
Ethanol is drinking liquor.
Ethanol mixed a few per cent with wood alcohol is denatured. NOT Permitted
Thousands of time more ethanol gas mix is sold than denatured.
Gasoline IS technically denatured alcohol
Ethanol is biodegradable
Gasoline is a greater environmental hazard than ethanol

California, What the ***** is your legislature doing? Do any of them have anything but smoke (or ****) for brains? What is next?

Turpentine
Acetone
MEK
Lacquer thinner
Isopropyl
Mineral spirits
methane
Propane
Butane
Bug spray
Oven cleaner
Lighter fluid
Welding gasses
Paint
Epoxy
Varnish
Booze!

Whatever, they are coming for you! Get off your can and make noise!

When will California throw these ignorant dopes into the Harbor?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:39   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Since as the previous poster just pointed out, denatured alcohol has in fact NOT been recently banned, then again perhaps the hardware guy isn't the best source to listen to when it comes to information on regulatory policy?

Basically, as I suspected, a bunch of people who know nothing about this specific regulation or apparently anything about the process of regulation have worked themselves into a frenzy about something that DIDN'T EVEN HAPPEN based apparently entirely on information sourced from store clerks and internet bulletin boards. You really all ought to think about what other beliefs you have predicated on equally shaky sources?
Not sure if you live in CA or not but If so you might want to call WestMarine or your local marine chandlery and see what they tell you. I went to 5 different places yesterday and everyone said the same thing. The sale Denatured alcohol is no longer permitted in California. My understanding is that this is a very recent thing . I did however find a place that had Several gallon cans on the shelf but they would only sell one per customer because it was the last they could get..

On a separate subject I always find it interesting that when someone starts a thread there will inevitably be someone in the group trolling them in short order, adding nothing of substance to the conversation..

I would think that the people who regularly sell this product would be a good Source of information on whether or not they can sell it...
Akafred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, grass, sale