Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2018, 22:04   #16

Boat: Hanse 348
Re: Cabin Heater for Winter

Would you be comfortable leaving this plugged in and running thermostatically for 4 months of being away?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:10   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Would you be comfortable leaving this plugged in and running thermostatically for 4 months of being away?
As far as safety, probably.

But as for leaving the boat in New England over the winter? No. I'd want the boat properly winterized before leaving. Even so, not being able to check on it for four months would make me very nervous.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 07:15   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Before I lived aboard, I put the boat in my backyard, winterized everything, and brought the batteries inside hooked up to a maintainer, now I use an electric forced air heater for the >45°F weather (standard utility type ceramic with fan) and it does a great job (if noisy) of keeping everything above 70°F in that temp range. Below that I use a diesel heater and that has kept me nice and warm all the way down to -15°F a few nights.
I also keep one of the access panels off the engine box to let more of the warm air get around in there.
Would I trust either of my heating methods all by themselves, without me aboard, probably not for any appreciable amount of time no.
As with any cold weather storage heating the boat isn't as important as making sure she's properly winterized, winter weather can and frequently does disrupt electric supply, leaving the boat without heat and causing all manner of problems, if there is water available to freeze.
I'm not saying don't buy it, and I don't see it causing any harm, and possibly doing some good, just that you should not rely on something like that exclusively, because Murphy's a jerk, who seems to have a special affinity for hanging around boats....just my 2¢... I go back and quietly sit in my corner now
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:44   #19

Quote:
NO. Using a space heater long term invariably burns up the shore cord or fitting. Maybe on very low so it comes on for a short time when very cold.
If you are just trying to keep things dry, use a couple driers and winterize the water system in your boat. . They pull about like a 100 watt bulb.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Davis-Air...RoCqpwQAvD_BwE

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 08:59   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

Winterization should be passive. The electricity will fail on the coldest night, or someone will unplug it, or it will just fail.

Safety is a factor, but In my mind, the argument doesn't get to that point.
Old 16-11-2018, 09:30   #21

Boat: Najad 373
Cabin Heater for Winter

Agree on passive approach the whole winter through.

Overheat or electric shortcuts and there goes the boat... [emoji47]

Here is what I do: non-electric de-humidifier, antifreeze in all pipe and zero electric connection... just to prevent any fire.

Sure the temperature here does not get below -10*C (15*F), yet in Northern Europe they do similarly - it’s also more environment friendly.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 12:21   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It is exactly as efficient as every other electric heater, including the $20 ones at WalMart.
If you like the looks, and think that's worth the extra $60, go for it. It'll work fine.
I've used these since I had a milkhouse. I have several in the staterooms to make sure everyone is comfortable. They last a long time and if you're electrically handy, they can be repaired. With heavy use, the fan bearings need reoiling about every 5 years and new fan, contacts, and switches can be found online. But $20 for a new one, is it worth the trouble.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 12:33   #23

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I've in the past used honeywell baseboard heaters set on low.

https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-HZ-5.../dp/B000BC2GGS

Just have to make sure with any heater that you use, the electrical wiring is up to the task!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin