Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2021, 10:10   #16

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Buzzing sound like electricity??

We definitely need more info, but don't rule out that it's something outside the boat. I spent the first two years on board our boat hearing things and thinking we were sinking, only to discover it was sealife, water against the outside of the hull, other boats passing by in the distance, weather, the sounds of the city being distorted through the hull ... all kinds of stuff. Boat has been perfectly fine through all of it
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:34   #17

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

+1 for shrimp or topping lift.
Shrimp can be very noisy as well as the topping lift in a fair wind.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:11   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Depends on the frequency and timing.

- Stuck bilge pump - static/grinding.
- Inverter - 60hz hum
- Shrimp - clicking, popping or static
- Refrigerator - intermittent
- Regular ticking - inverter, nothing drawing power

There are probably 100 other odd noises on a boat. You'll have fun learning them all. Sinking is probably not something you'll hear before it's obvious in other ways.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:29   #19

Turn off the batteries and see if it goes away. I bet it doesn't. Shrimp can drive you nuts until you get acclimated to it.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Depends on the frequency and timing.

- Stuck bilge pump - static/grinding.
- Inverter - 60hz hum
- Shrimp - clicking, popping or static
- Refrigerator - intermittent
- Regular ticking - inverter, nothing drawing power

There are probably 100 other odd noises on a boat. You'll have fun learning them all. Sinking is probably not something you'll hear before it's obvious in other ways.
Own a boat long enough, you will know all its sounds and when something doesn't sound right. Like a mother with kid radar.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:50   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Had a similar issue and in the end found out it was the rigging backstay oscillating !
Old 06-07-2021, 13:45   #22

I can't thank everyone enough for all the rapid responses. The welcoming committee gets a round of shots on me. After reading everyone's suggestions I am at this time going to deduce it is SHRIMP. The power converter for solar does not apply as it seems to increase or did at first appear late in the afternoon before sunset. There was also seaweed about 4 to 5 inches long growing along the bottom when I first noticed it and it has all disappeared. I still hear the sound but in lesser and lesser degrees. I believe the sound was essentially the shrimp cutting the grass so to speak.

Again,
Thanks Everybody.
Living this dream ain't easy, and I wouldn't have it any other way!
Simcerely,
The Kid.
Bluebeardskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 13:49   #23

I think and hope you are correct.
Bluebeardskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 15:33   #24

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
Is it coming through the hull below the water? If so, it's shrimp eating things off the hull. Very common- I tore apart the boat the first time I heard it looking for a running pump. Their munching is mechanical and electrical sounding.

Matt
Quite likely. Don't discount it. You may have moved right into the middle of their feeding ground - and are happy to see you.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 15:49   #25

Boat: Adams 40

Agree it’s most likely shrimp or little critters nibbling away under your hull, but not eating through it. You’ll get used to it. On the other hand the water in the bilge needs to be investigated. Taste to see if it’s fresh or salt water. If it’s the latter then you’ll need to find its source. What sort of seal do you have on your prop shaft?
If it’s an old style stuffing box which needs to be tightened( but not overtightened) occasionally then it’s likely to drip.....well it’s meant to drip that’s how the shaft is lubricated.
Dave Isom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 17:09   #26

Boat: 2013 Aquila Power Cat

Shrimp feeding on your bottom growth (we had the same issue and thought it was electric).
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 18:10   #27

Boat: Pearson 323

I had the same thing happen at anchor in Georgia, I was over a crab nursery. Picked up and moved 10 foot away.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:12   #28

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Pollyestermites a well known devoured of fibreglass boats ,only known cure is to buy a wooden boat .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:58   #29

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

We have a railing around our aft trunk cabin which has holes in it for attaching canvas wind block panels. This creates a flute sound in the wind. We can almost tell the wind speed and direction by which notes are playing.

Yes, you become familiar with all the little noises after a while.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:47   #30

Boat: O'Day 30 and O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeardskid View Post
I recently bought my first boat and have been working and living on it. A dream come true. The question is I had the boat moved as the motor keeps overheating to a new anchorage. Once on the hook, I began hearing a sound like static or a slight buzzing sound inside. The boat is a 1968 that was a marina queen for the last 10 years. I checked the batteries and all the leads I can see, but I cant locate the origin of the sound. My solar panels are charging like before and I dont see any obvious problems. My biggest fear is that I cracked a spar and it is the fiberglass hull that is cracking up. I do have slow leaks around the toerail and cockpit lockers and after moving her I had a fair bit of water in the bilge. But I am not too surprised as I did toe the boat a fairway and it has rained over the past few days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-------------
I have the same sound, or HAD the same sound.

It was only periodically, and usually at rest but sometimes on light wind. It was a pulley on a rope (Sheet?) that reached down to the end of the boom.

I suppose that under some conditions, it vibrated or resonated at some frequency caused by a combination of wind speed and tension (Under light sail sometimes, and at rest some times.) I replaced it not because it failed, but because it was annoyingly noisy... the thin metal on the round pulley was just a little loose... or loose enough to vibrate against the pulley itself. (Thin metal on plastic, sure sounded like electricity buzzing to me)

------------

I'm not intending to be a diagnosis, but definitely putting this type of noise on the table as you troubleshoot. If it is a lengthy time in troubleshooting then the questions above by someone else (day/night/etc) may become more relevant.

If it's intermittent in any way, a log of times and dates when you hear and not hear it will be a good tool to use.
Rob19321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric