Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 11:20   #16

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: Buying my first boat, need some advice after survey.

Let your heart tell you that you want to make an offer on a boat. But make the deal based on numbers. It doesn't matter what the seller wants. What will it cost to make the purchase, have the issues professionaly fixed and have the boat you want? If that number is more than you can or are willing to spend on this boat, walk away. If that number is less than the seller is willing to take he will walk away. Don't buy a boat that doesn't speak to your heart but don't buy a boat that is a bad "deal". Like your Mother told you, don't marry a girl that you don't love but don't marry a coke head, go go dancer manic depressive to raise your children just because she can dance so good that she steals your heart.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:19   #17

Boat: Nauticat 32

I'm not an expert on osmosis, but the idea of buying an osmosis boat as one's first boat doesn't sound promising to me. If the current owner will not fix it, and you don't have any reliable estimate on how much fixing the boat would cost you, this boat may be too risky. The risk means both money and risk of getting a bad start that includes a lengthy fight with osmosis.

This boat doesn't seem to be an ideal end to the 2.5 year search. Keep looking for the perfect one. There may be also a perfect boat waiting for you somewhere. While you do that, the current owner of this boat might accept that a boat with osmosis is not nearly as valuable as a healthy boat.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:35   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
I'm not an expert on osmosis, but the idea of buying an osmosis boat as one's first boat doesn't sound promising to me. If the current owner will not fix it, and you don't have any reliable estimate on how much fixing the boat would cost you, this boat may be too risky. The risk means both money and risk of getting a bad start that includes a lengthy fight with osmosis.

This boat doesn't seem to be an ideal end to the 2.5 year search. Keep looking for the perfect one. There may be also a perfect boat waiting for you somewhere. While you do that, the current owner of this boat might accept that a boat with osmosis is not nearly as valuable as a healthy boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 14:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Dog View Post
Why pics I'm not asking for your opinion on what the boat looks like🙄??

You're right.

The owner dropped the price 2k.

My thoughts are that may get you hauled, mast unstepped and the time frame paid for to effect the repairs in the yard.

Now the repairs $$$.

Osmosis in the hull and soft spot at the bow.

At the bow is the forestay, among other attachments. The integrity of the rig is compromised.

Osmosis in the hull is one blister, delamination of the fiberglass or a variety of other survey results that would fall under the blanket term osmosis. Maybe ez fix or selling price of boat to repair + + +.

It's your call.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 16:23   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My own take is, if you have any doubts, keep looking. It's your first boat, you want and need to feel really good about the whole thing, boat and price. There are lots of good boats available.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 16:51   #21

Thanks for take the time to help me very much appreciated. Too many threads so I'll just say a little more here.

Of course I hauled the boat for survey the osmosis and the soft area at the bow were a surprise as the owner had lifted the boat out less than a year ago and already filled holes and anti fouled etc. He didn't notice the soft bit around the bow. The engine is old unknown hours but tested fine I'd sort of factored replacing that if I was really unlucky and it gave up in the first year but not a major bottom job as well. And there surveyor was talking peeling the hull back etc as someone mentions. I'm in Malaysia and the workmanship here I would be wary about. How can you dry a hull out with so much moisture permanently in the air!!! The other mention from someone of its being valued only 10% under the asking price it isn't. Surveyor valued it in USD its 9k (GPB) valued under asking price.

I think I have to go with my gut feeling here and just leave it. Annoying having surveyed but hey that why you survey right:

Thanks again back to the drawing board, if anyone comes across friends selling around Langkawi/Phuket area point them in my direction.

Scottie Dog
Scottie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 19:05   #22

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44

A boat is worth what you are willing to pay for it. There are a lot of boats out there, so leave you price out there and tell the seller that you are still looking and the offer may be retracted at a moments notice.

I know of two very nice 37' mono's in Lankgawi going for around $40K. The seller bought them both really cheap, sent them over to Satun and had the yard put new engine in and rebuild the interiors with beautiful woods. If I didn't already have a boat then I would have bought one.
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 21:14   #23

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
I think I have to go with my gut feeling here and just leave it. Annoying having surveyed but hey that why you survey right:

Thanks again back to the drawing board, if anyone comes across friends selling around Langkawi/Phuket area point them in my direction.

Scottie Dog
Based on the added information, good decision! You will find something, particularly if you do not in a rush. Best of luck.
Old 11-03-2017, 00:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguabago View Post
A boat is worth what you are willing to pay for it. There are a lot of boats out there, so leave you price out there and tell the seller that you are still looking and the offer may be retracted at a moments notice.

I know of two very nice 37' mono's in Lankgawi going for around $40K. The seller bought them both really cheap, sent them over to Satun and had the yard put new engine in and rebuild the interiors with beautiful woods. If I didn't already have a boat then I would have bought one.

Can you give me the details or pass on my details???

Scott
Old 11-03-2017, 00:52   #25
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Hi all,

I need some help. I've been looking for a boat for over 2.5yrs (Asia) and struggling to find the right one for the right price. I thought I'd found the right one 33ft motor sailor agreed £25k (GPB) pending nothing major bad on the survey.

Survey came back with the hull having osmosis and a soft area at the bow needing investigated at next haul out. Few other things minor but at a 1976 boat I'm not stupid I expect the ongoing stuff to attend to.

The osmosis is a bit disappointing but the owner has agreed to drop the price by 2k. What really bothers me is the surveyor valuation was only 20k (usd) approx £16500k way below what I expected.

I offered £17500 thinking I should stay around the valuation but the owner won't even entertain that low.
Is it pointless for me to offer anything above the valuation even though I like the boat?
Is it normal for valuations to come in so low all things considered I've not seen anything as nice as this boat for the price and I'm not sure if I should up my price or just walk away.

Thought would be appreciated.

Scottie Dog
You have become a dreaded chronic boat investigator.

If one defines their vessel needs and budget, a boat, especially a first boat, shouldn't take more than 6 months to find.

Whatever you buy now, will not be right for you in a couple of years anyway.

It isn't possible to buy the right boat now, because you have never been an owner so don't know what a right boat is.

Stop wasting your time trying to find the perfect boat for the lowest price.

It doesn't exist.

Look for a good boat at a decent price, you can resell down the road and not lose your shirt on.

Learn to sail it and what you do and don't like about it. As you are doing this, keep (casually) looking at other boats and how they are better or worse than what you have.

When you finally find a boat so much better than what you have for a price you are willing to pay, switch.

You may end up doing this about every 5-10 years as your needs and preferences develop and change.

Or after a couple years you may find that boat ownership isn't everything you though it would be and take up something else, in which case, your 2.5 year search was a total waste.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
You have become a dreaded chronic boat investigator.

If one defines their vessel needs and budget, a boat, especially a first boat, shouldn't take more than 6 months to find.

Whatever you buy now, will not be right for you in a couple of years anyway.

It isn't possible to buy the right boat now, because you have never been an owner so don't know what a right boat is.

Stop wasting your time trying to find the perfect boat for the lowest price.

It doesn't exist.

Look for a good boat at a decent price, you can resell down the road and not lose your shirt on.

Learn to sail it and what you do and don't like about it. As you are doing this, keep (casually) looking at other boats and how they are better or worse than what you have.

When you finally find a boat so much better than what you have for a price you are willing to pay, switch.

You may end up doing this about every 5-10 years as your needs and preferences develop and change.

Or after a couple years you may find that boat ownership isn't everything you though it would be and take up something else, in which case, your 2.5 year search was a total waste.

Stange you call me that knowing nothing about me, where I work live, work, or travel to on my time off. If you did you'd probably keep comments like that to yourself. Either way theres always one
Old 11-03-2017, 06:30   #27

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I will probably be starting a firestorm by my understanding is that blisters never caused a sinking and probably never will. However, you need a expert to check the deepest penetrations just in case. I would be more concerned about the soft deck area. You need a repair estimate including a worst case assumption. As for valuation, that is not why folks hire surveyors. You would be better off asking an uninvolved broker possibly paying for his time. You might consider accepting his price with an agreement that it will reduced by the actual cost of the deck repair minus some agreed allowance. That leaves the risk with the seller.
Finally, if all else fails, walk away. There are lots of boats out there!
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 13:42   #28
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Stange you call me that knowing nothing about me, where I work live, work, or travel to on my time off. If you did you'd probably keep comments like that to yourself. Either way theres always one
Well, if you don't post this info, all one is left with is their assumptions and best guesses.

Based on my experience, my best guess, with the info you supplied, is that you have wasted a lot of time in your boat search, and as a result you haven't gained the boat ownership experience you could have in that time.

If you want responses better suited to your specific situation, post more precise info.

If you will only accept responses of praise and support, say so.

If you can't take honest opinions without sugar coating, based on what you do post, or possibly entertain that maybe you could have gone about it in a more productive way, well...
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 18:56   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, I think it was a good decision to walk. It is that until you really get a good look at the hull, you don't know that a brief, cosmetic osmotic blister "repair" will last. If it's a boat you might want to keep, you have to face up to the worst case scenario. The softness in the bow could be anything from delamination to water in the core if it's a cored boat. It would be a long time before you could go for a sail.

I would not make the assumption that someone who has not been to Malaysia could anticipate the aggressive humidity, either.

No, i really think an osmosis-free and a core softness free first boat are desirable traits. And, try to find a boat that has to have only one major system replaced.

As others have written, it's nothing to do with the seller. He's completely outside your control. What is in your control is which compromises you are comfortable with.

Ann
Old 11-03-2017, 18:57   #30

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
...you have wasted a lot of time in your boat search, and as a result you haven't gained the boat ownership experience you could have in that time.
I guess each of is entitle to our opinions, but I think (my opinion) that, "Wind in the Willow" has already provided Scottie Dog with the perfect reply, "There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

The experience of finding and buying one is useful throughout life, often multiple times. Scottie Dog, do not be put off by the nay sayers!

Tags
boat, buying, survey