Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 04:34   #1

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Buying Land With a Dock

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum owns inexpensive land with water access, just for the dock space, or knows of some for sale in the Southeast US.

Someone on another forum posted about a small piece of property in FL with a dock for sale (thanks FF!).

The price for that parcel, and a couple of others in the area, was not way out of line with what it would cost in New England to buy just a slip in a boat club or dockominium.

I already own a dock in Maine. I retire in 2016. I've often thought it would be nice to have a "winter" dock somewhere it rarely freezes or snows. Having a little land attached would open up other options.

I don't need full-time 80-degree weather, just warm most of the time.

Real estate web sites all want you to start by entering a town or region. What I want is to start with some specifications (price below a certain amount, dock, power, water, sewer/septic, option to build) and compare many different areas.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 04:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Buying Land With a Dock

I think realtors might have access to databases with better search functions. Have you tried looking for a realtor that specializes in waterfront property. Might have to try more than one, maybe on in NE FL and one on the Gulf side.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Assume you have already figured out that inexpensive and south Florida real estate are not possible (well unless you're looking for something in the Everglades that is a foot underwater and comes with free mosquitoes).

If you're commuting from ME assume you would also prefer east coast and not the Gulf side to save another week or so of travel back and forth. Unfortunately the Gulf side will generally be a lot easier to find a deal. Here's one I found on Craigslist.

Bay Front Lot For Sale
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ga is cheaper than FL, Gulf coast is cheapest in FL, Is Al, Ms, Tx do-able?

Lots of lots just up rivers etc in the Gulf of Fl and well protected form Hurricanes and about an hour, maybe two running to get to the Gulf.
If you have to have the East coast of Fl, I'd look up North Fl.

Nice dock with a good sized storage shed on land and maybe a Garage for a car would be nice
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:00   #5

Better make sure the adjacent slips are deep enough for a sailboat. A lot of the gulf is pretty shallow.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:52   #6

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Try looking up cape coral

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 08:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Coco florida (NE coast) has really depressed real estate. And a lot of decent properties on the water.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 08:41   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Better make sure the adjacent slips are deep enough for a sailboat. A lot of the gulf is pretty shallow.
I had thought that too, but his avatar is of a powerboat
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 08:42   #9

Try Freeport Bahamas. I have a place here cheap, protected and safe. The economy is depressed here so you can pick up a canalfront condo with a dock cheap. Look for condo fees to make your decision. Some can be expensive and others cheap.
lookinggoodrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 08:52   #10

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Check the taxes in the state you choose. Real estate, personal property, some have different taxes on waterfront properties and docks along with resident or non-resident tax rates. Good Luck.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:19   #11

Ok we would all like to have a dock for winter, however some time ago [in the keys] if the lot had a pier and you just wanted to leave the lot as a lot you could not. Property had to have home on it within a period of years, forgot #.

Point---check with city powers [or whoever is in charge of zoning] to see if you can be a liveaboard, pier 1st then house, no pier until after house, etc etc !!!

Another option is find dock/home where someone has dock but no boat--they will rent you the dock, check local papers for cost. No r/e taxes, mowing,etc and freedom to move wherever !
dahshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:33   #12

There were some great deals in Florida a couple years ago. Someone on this forum was trying to get rid of a home on a back canal on the west coast of Florida for I think $175k.
There were a couple in Cape Canaveral/Merritt Isl area on canals for that low also, I was considering a move at the time... That was pretty much the low end and those likely needed some tlc.
I searched using a realty service that used a visual map, with little dots indicating houses for sale. Then you could click and see pics and details. Just clik on the ones that are on the water and specify a $ range.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:47   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There have also been some big problems with illegal docks in Florida. The property owners built docks on their canals, except, the canals were still owned by the developer. Which made the docks illegal because they were built on someone else's property.

A lot of people just build, without thinking "who owns the canal bottom?"

And there may be other restrictions, covenants from an HOA, all sorts of gotchas. Make sure the deed includes the land under the dock, free and clear of restrictions.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:54   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm wondering if anyone on this forum owns inexpensive land with water access, just for the dock space, or knows of some for sale in the Southeast US.

Someone on another forum posted about a small piece of property in FL with a dock for sale (thanks FF!).

The price for that parcel, and a couple of others in the area, was not way out of line with what it would cost in New England to buy just a slip in a boat club or dockominium.

I already own a dock in Maine. I retire in 2016. I've often thought it would be nice to have a "winter" dock somewhere it rarely freezes or snows. Having a little land attached would open up other options.

I don't need full-time 80-degree weather, just warm most of the time.

Real estate web sites all want you to start by entering a town or region. What I want is to start with some specifications (price below a certain amount, dock, power, water, sewer/septic, option to build) and compare many different areas.
I have no idea what cheap is. I have a friend in Cape Coral with a condo and slip. Husband died and she would like to go back home. If you have any interest in that area PM me and I will put you in touch.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 14:07   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Thanks, appreciate all the input. I was deliberately vague about a few things, so as not to limit discussion.

My boat draws less than 3-1/2 feet, so deep water was not a requirement.

The original plan was to cruise around after retirement, anchor and rent moorings or slips as we discover places we like. If we find a spot worthy of becoming a home port, then maybe a longer-term lease or even buy. That's still the plan, I'm just exploring other options.

My budget for this option right now is essentially $0, since the only way to buy a new home would be to sell the house I've owned for 35 years.

That said, I've seen one canal-front lot for the price of a modest new car. Even at twice that price, for the right location I'd find a way to work it into the budget. But when you get up into six figures, that's not in the cards at this time.

I wasn't specifically looking at Atlantic FL. Certainly GA, SC, NC and VA are options. I'm not opposed to the Gulf coast either. The Freeport suggestion was interesting. I'll poke around some of the locations that were suggested above. Once you have a place to start looking, it's easy to move around the map on sites like Zillow to see what's for sale.

Good points were made about permitting for docks, HOAs, taxes, swampland and mosquitoes. I'd think some consideration also has to be given to potential storm surge anyplace in the hurricane belt, even in protected areas.

Keep those ideas and suggestions coming!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, dock