Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2023, 04:09   #1

Buying an auction boat, questions

I saw a deal on a fresh water kept boat that has seen little use for auction.
Okay, I might not jump on this one for the time being, but in case there is another deal I would like to ask people who have experience with auction boats:
- I understand that you have to check if there is outstanding mooring fee and you have to be responsible to pay the remainders, and pay for the removal of the boat.
- How do you acquire the proper title and papers for the boat since the original owner cannot be contacted?
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 04:38   #2

Boat: Privilege 39+2'
Re: Buying an auction boat, questions

Sorry, what country are you in? What kind of boat? What year. A few more details and you will be able to get some more relevant answers.
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 05:00   #3

If you are in the US, you could try this...

Quote:
Find Out What It Takes To Get A Boat Titled In Your State

If a boat being sold at an auction does not have a title, the auction will offer you a bill of sale. However, you will need to get an actual title. Check with your state boating department for boat title regulations and instructions that are applicable where you live.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 05:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
If you are in the US, you could try this...
It was a Beneteau 43 in China, asking 25k, I think it is a lot of hassle but I ask just in case if I saw such a deal.

State boating departmen, cool, I will keep that in mind to ask if next time.
Old 31-03-2023, 09:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
It was a Beneteau 43 in China, asking 25k, I think it is a lot of hassle but I ask just in case if I saw such a deal.

State boating departmen, cool, I will keep that in mind to ask if next time.
That looks like a very good deal find out what ever outstanding issues are there you would still have to get that boat to your place in the world
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 10:25   #6

Regardless of where you are, and where the boat is, you need to be sure that under the laws of that jurisdiction, or both jurisdictions, the auctioneer has clear title to the boat, i.e., that the auctioneer has either obtained title by legal transfer from the previous titleholder or that he holds title by way of Court Order. Holding title is a prerequisite for his having the legal right to sell it.

Unless the auctioneer has proper title to the vessel, your having a bill of sale from the auctioneer DOES NOT prevent the holder of legal title from reclaiming his property.

If clear title cannot be shown by the auctioneer (under the laws of the jurisdiction where he resides, regardless of whether that is, say, the State of Maine, say, the Province of British Columbia or, say, the Republic of Vanuatu), you had better pass by the "deal" lest you find yourself without the money AND without the boat.

I would think that at the present time, given the state of world affairs, a boat located in China and bought by auction would require absolutely rock-solid knowledge that title can be transferred before you make a bid, let alone plunk down your bux :-)!

Bonne chance :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 21:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Regardless of where you are, and where the boat is, you need to be sure that under the laws of that jurisdiction, or both jurisdictions, the auctioneer has clear title to the boat, i.e., that the auctioneer has either obtained title by legal transfer from the previous titleholder or that he holds title by way of Court Order. Holding title is a prerequisite for his having the legal right to sell it.

Unless the auctioneer has proper title to the vessel, your having a bill of sale from the auctioneer DOES NOT prevent the holder of legal title from reclaiming his property.

If clear title cannot be shown by the auctioneer (under the laws of the jurisdiction where he resides, regardless of whether that is, say, the State of Maine, say, the Province of British Columbia or, say, the Republic of Vanuatu), you had better pass by the "deal" lest you find yourself without the money AND without the boat.

I would think that at the present time, given the state of world affairs, a boat located in China and bought by auction would require absolutely rock-solid knowledge that title can be transferred before you make a bid, let alone plunk down your bux :-)!

Bonne chance :-)

TrentePieds
It is auctioned by the state authority, but no mention about title hence the asking.
Anyway, the closing date is too soon for me to ascertain.
Unless they relist it later.
Anyway, it would be good info to know if I saw such a deal next time.
It was a 2007 Oceanis 43, mast, hull, all structurally intact, only matress and the easily removed things are taken off.
Old 02-04-2023, 16:35   #8

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

If the state or fed auction something they can provide a valid title, they are after all the official registry of the ownership
Old 02-04-2023, 17:07   #9

So you get a "title" in Chinese characters....then what?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 17:18   #10

Indeed — as geoleo sez, unless you read mandarin (which I believe is the language of law in China), you have no way of knowing without corroboration that anything you are given is indeed what it purports to be.

In any event, IMO it is unlikely that even if China has a system of indefeasible title, you would be given access to it in the event of a dispute.

Let that one go. Better safe than sorry :-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 17:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
So you get a "title" in Chinese characters....then what?
A valid one even in Indian or Japanese I can transfer it to Langkawi or whatever port of convenience for registry
Old 02-04-2023, 17:23   #12

Yeah, I am letting that one go.
But it wouldn't hurt to knowing what to ask next time when I saw an auction deal.
Old 02-04-2023, 18:27   #13

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

In the US, it varies state to state. If you seek to have it federally documented, the paper chase becomes even more abstruse. These days a lot of marinas have abandoned boats they’d love to wash their hands of. Sometimes something worthwhile appears. Depending on your need for insurance, re-sale, etc. it’s worthwhile to do your homework.

Tags
auction, boat, buying