Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 10:23   #1

Buying a boat in a foreign country

Just wondering if it's possible to buy a boat in Thailand and sail it to Japan? Just looking for ideas on how to get to Japan on a sailboat without having to cross any really big water. Curious and don't know much
floater88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:54   #2

Re: Buying a boat in a foreign country

Dear floater, cruising from Thailand to Japan isn't something you'd consider just out of a whim, specially if you don't have the experience. Add to this the idea to buy a random boat like a used car is probably overly naive.

Best and cheapest way to go from Thailand to Japan is by buying an airline ticket.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:28   #3

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater88 View Post
Just wondering if it's possible to buy a boat in Thailand and sail it to Japan? Just looking for ideas on how to get to Japan on a sailboat without having to cross any really big water. Curious and don't know much
I don’t have firsthand exp with Malaysia , but have bought two boats abroad- England and Netherlands’s. A good broker is essential and to help you line up a surveyor and yard for haulout. Then you need a licensed dependable captain. It is the safest way to go in my opinion.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 13:42   #4

Thanks for the replies. I know i'm still pipe dreaming at this time. My fourth plan now is to get something to learn on here in Lake Ontario. After a year or two then go to another country to learn a bit more on the salt water. I'm open to living in Thailand for few months to a year to get any boat in ship shape. Still just dreaming at this point.
Old 06-03-2021, 13:46   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Best and cheapest way to go from Thailand to Japan is by buying an airline ticket.[/QUOTE]

LMAO..

Safe sailing..
Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 16:09   #6

Quote:
I'm open to living in Thailand for few months to a year to get any boat in ship shape. Still just dreaming at this point.

You might want to check out the YouTube-Channel Follow the Boat. They were in Thailand and wanted to go to Japan. I haven't checked recently what they're up to, but the linked video might be useful to you.

Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 22:02   #7

Possible, Yea.
Is it a good idea. Depends on why. Bying boats internationally can be done. Lots of people, do it.

Bying a boat internationally is more complicated than bying a boat locally.
If you are in Thailand, you happen to be Thai and the boat is registered in Thailand, probably not to complicated. In fact it’s probably the easiest place to by a boat.

I have bought two boats internationally, both in the US, I’m Canadian, Not a lot more complicated but, there is a few complications like,
I can’t borrow money in US very easily, or find it easy to persuade a Canadian lender to lend me money to by a boat which is not Canadian or in Canada.

For some strange reason they think you might just bigger off without paying.

First was small and cheep, no big deal, handshake and cash.

Second one bigger more expensive couldn’t afford to loose the money.

So I didn’t borrow, never intended to.
US border agents were very interested in how I was paying for it. They started asking lots of questions.
Turns out there is all sorts of rules about carrying cash.

You have to be a US resident to own a US boat. Fortunately I could register in the State.
I bough5 through a broker, and used a title agent, cost a few hundred but I transferred the money to the agent,
Also complicated due to boat having a lien on it.
Quite simple, the previous owner hadn’t paid the boat off and required the money from sale.

Those are perfectly normal issues. Which just get a little bit more complicated when it’s international.
The US banking and legal system is probably quite trustworthy.

How trustworthy is a business deal like bying a boat in Thailand, sending money to a Thai Prince for a boat might be legit.
I don’t know.

I would want to check all that out.
Can you even own and register a boat in Thailand. Or do you have to change registry and flag to hold title to boat?
Making sure you get a clean title is very important.
Best bet find a local who deals with this stuff. Who represents you. Unless you know how to do this your self.

So once you have figured out how to by a boat in Thailand.

Then you can figure out what you want to do with it. Like sail to Japan.

Which isn’t to hard. Just figure out the right monsoon.

You going to go straight to Japan, or you going to stop and cruise on the way?
Lots of options.
Vietnam, China, Taiwan, even the Philippines.

Big thing is what you going to do with the boat when you get to Japan?
If you happen to be Japanese or live in Japan, pay the the duty ect.
Are you just visiting or do you want to sell the boat in Japan, might be easier said than done.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:06   #8

Great info. Back to looking for an RV now! Seems easier
Old 13-04-2021, 23:21   #9

Boat: Yamaha 26C

Quote:
It can be done and coastal is the way. Along mainland southeast Asia, Hong Kong, Taiwan and then jumping to Okinawa and Kagoshima archipelago toward Japan mainland. I cannot talk about first part of the journey but Japan is quite paranoid toward people even from other prefectures, let alone countries due the COVID19 and there is limited number of ports where you can enter for customs.

That being said, after entering, you should be able to do some nice port hopping all the way from there.
KomatY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 17:51   #10

I was looking at doing exactly this, buying in Thailand and using in Japan. I live in Japan. Long story short, you'll want to use Daniel Springett to lead the delivery crew and Kirk Patterson to advise on all the import and Japan cruising requirements. Both are vitally important.

Jeremy
JeremyRWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 22:12   #11

No and yes.
You'll require a Japanese boat license to register your boat in Japan, and will be slapped with high amount of tax, not realistic and I have not heard of foreigners done so.
Cruising permit for foreign boats last less than a year, not a big deal as you can sail out to South Korea and sail in again.

I think you'll need 6 months or more to sail from Thailand to Japan, you need to plan appropriate time for the weather as well, it won't come cheap as well unless you enjoy cruising in the region.

Better idea is to buy a boat from Taiwan or South Korea and sail it there.
There are much more choice in Taiwan and sensible price as well.
Most used boats in Thailand for sale are pretty old and tired by now, and the newer ones are ex charter and didn't come cheap.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 22:19   #12

Quote:
Great info. Back to looking for an RV now! Seems easier
Yes, RV is a far better idea, you don't even have to own one as rental is widely available in Japan.
Try connect with RV association Japan.
Old 26-05-2021, 22:53   #13

Just to mention:

- Taiwan prohibits non-residents to visit due to Covid (other than for exceptional reasons). Hopefully that will pass soon enough.

- Japan changed its laws about 18 months ago. As a result foreign flagged boats can be sailed to Japan and receive an indefinite cruising permit upon entry. Also, foreign flagged boats which the owner attests are “indefinitely visiting” Japan (as opposed to being “imported” to Japan) are not levied with the 10% consumption tax.
JeremyRWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 01:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyRWhite View Post
Just to mention:

- Taiwan prohibits non-residents to visit due to Covid (other than for exceptional reasons). Hopefully that will pass soon enough.

- Japan changed its laws about 18 months ago. As a result foreign flagged boats can be sailed to Japan and receive an indefinite cruising permit upon entry. Also, foreign flagged boats which the owner attests are “indefinitely visiting” Japan (as opposed to being “imported” to Japan) are not levied with the 10% consumption tax.
The restriction is also in force in Thailand as well as many other countries.

That is good news to hear about, thanks.

The tax is a non issue, heck there are even more languishing Yamaha sailboats can be have for cheap in Japan itself, but you need a Japanese boat license to operate a Japanese flag boat, that is not realistic or practical, that you have to take time and money for the test, since they come in different level, coastal and offshore.

The most realistic choice is to sail there by yourself, but it is a long way from Thailand.
Like I said, I will look if there are boats in Taiwan or even Hong Kong, I'm sure there are chartering business cutting out some of their fleet during the pandemic.

Tags
boat, buying, buying a boat