Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 10:52   #1

Boat: Oyster 45
Burial at Sea ?

Ok it is not the kind of subject anyone likes to think about but sometime or other I am going to die.
Being buried is expensive and does not do much for your looks.
I could be cremated but that does not appeal to me either. They could scatter my ashes at sea but the chances are the wind would be in the wrong direction and Auntie Rita and Uncle Bob would swallow and spit me out all over the deck. Not very dignified, although if I got into their eyes there may be a few tears or even someone else staggering blindly overboard.
I have thought about being stuffed and made into a figurehead but with pontoons the way they are I am liable to get my nose pushed in.
I do want my body to be of some use and my wife suggested I would make a good fender but again I don’t think I would last long.
I could however go for the sliding off the wooden board under the flag and strait into the sea. It’s cheap, non-messy and at least I could help a few fish with their evening meal. OK, Bob and Rita may go in for a large cod and chips and get a bit of me but that’s OK.
Can you still be buried at sea or can you think of another suggestion?
Old 13-09-2011, 11:14   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Burial at Sea?

Yes:

Burial at Sea--Rules and Regulations
Old 13-09-2011, 11:25   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico
Re: Burial at Sea ?

So if they are cremated remains the rules are the same as for the macerator or holding tank; go three miles out before dumping. Further proof that we will become human waste when we die.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:38   #4

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

True enough, when you come right down to it. I suppose, once the spirit has departed, one may as well be buried at sea--call it being recycled--very green thing to do.
Old 13-09-2011, 11:44   #5

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Ok it is not the kind of subject anyone likes to think about but sometime or other I am going to die.
They could scatter my ashes at sea but the chances are the wind would be in the wrong direction and Auntie Rita and Uncle Bob would swallow and spit me out all over the deck. Not very dignified, although if I got into their eyes there may be a few tears or even someone else staggering blindly overboard.
I read your post an imediately thought of the movie "The Big Lebowski " where they went to a overlook on the Ca coast to spread there friends ashes and the wind blew it in there faces, Yuck sadly funny

Remember no tennis shoes they float and come ashore with your feet still in them, this has happened in the PNW often. and I think I read that Japans tsunami will bring more folks shoes with feet to the west coast of the US this next year.
Old 13-09-2011, 11:54   #6

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably

I took this from a canadian funeral home who seems to offer the service.

Experiences in other countries have shown that a great deal of distress can be caused by the remains, once committed for burial, being yielded up or trawled up by a fishing vessel. Therefore, it is the government’s position that initial inquires about burial at sea should be discouraged, and those who ask should be requested to consider scattering the cremated remains at sea as an alternative

Come to think of it, I wouldn't want my catch of the day to be Rita or Bob

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:55   #7

Good point
Old 13-09-2011, 11:56   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Not that unusual around here. 5 or 6 of my mates sitting around the poker table, a few miles east of St David's Lighthouse. Newport-Bermuda fleet sails right over them at the finish line.
Noble way to go, but my kids don't think so.

Edit: We don't trawl around here.
Old 13-09-2011, 12:02   #9

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Maybe wrap you in chains first in 4000 ft of water
Old 13-09-2011, 12:33   #10

We have on the Rita T a length of chain known as Hannah's chain. I figure it is optimistic to assume I'll still be sailing when the time comes and not warehoused somewhere drooling in my soup.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 12:42   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Burial at Sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Astrid:

I didn't see anything about burning funeral pyre's used in a traditional Viking funeral. I guess if yo had a good enough lawyer and you made your Pyre in the shape of a wreath this section would apply, "c) Flowers and wreaths consisting of materials which are readily decomposable in the marine environment may be disposed of under the general permit set forth in this section at the site at which disposal of human remains is authorized."

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 12:46   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Just because you get cremated doesn't mean you have to be scattered, can get interned in a graveyard (subject to local rules) with a headstone or buried wherever you want. At sea don't have to scatter the ashes, just consign the casket to the deep (make sure it is heavy enough not to float! - unless that is the idea!)

FYI the results straight out of the oven are not 100% ashes - that comes from the next step.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:21   #13

Boat: Boatless

Astrid thanks for the regs.

My Dad was on motor torpedo boats (PT boats for the Yanks) in the English Channel during WWII. When the skipper a young Lt was killed he went over the side in a hammock weighted with machine gun brass. Even though the boat was only an hour from port they never dreamed that a sailor would want to go any other way!

I have and old kedge anchor I have never used in 15,000 sea miles...that and a spinnaker bag should do the trick!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:34   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Burial at Sea ?

Yup... no worries at sea... I've skippered a few 'disposals'... but they've always been toasted first...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:53   #15

I LOVE that I am not the only person who would like this.
I have told my old salt that when I die, because as you said, we all will sometime. But when I die to take me out on the water and tie my nude body to an anchor and toss me over.
He mentioned that there would probably be legalities etc etc...But in all seriousness, if I have my way THIS is how I want to go. I want my body to go back into the earth from which it came.
Will be looking forward to what info you come up with.
WarmBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burial at sea