Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 21:45   #46

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake, Miami )

Wouldn't a simple solution and annoyance to him as well be to call the police and report him for excessive noise? I'm sure it can be done anonymously. You could simply state you are a neighbor who doesn't want to be identified. That would technically be the truth too.
Old 08-05-2011, 22:07   #47

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Thompson View Post
Easy explained
A Yank with Red hair = trouble
cheers Steve
and most likely a very small.. ummmm.... err...You know what I mean.
Agressive people are usually compensating for that lower appendage or a very low self esteem. Perhaps both in this case.
Old 08-05-2011, 22:26   #48

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
pirate Re: Bullying on the Waterway ( Sunset Lake, Miami )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
heh....

The only problem is you don't get to see their faces...

I make all my liberal donations in the name of someone whom I feel will REALLY not appreciate it ; -)

Funny thats the same thing I do with all my donations. You would think that Van Jones would have sent me a thank you card for the donations I made in his name to the NRA and the Heritage Foundation

Brad
Old 09-05-2011, 02:26   #49

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Bullying on the Waterway (Sunset Lake Miami)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Oh.

Oh really...

This is almost TOO tempting.

Did you all know that if the spirit so moves you , it is possible to make a donation in someone's name and have a nice little card mailed to them notifying them of this honour?

I am thinking planned parenthood might be my next stop on the web this morning...

Oh.

Oh yes indeedy I do...

I am sure Fred will appreciate it as much as Sara Palin did...

oh yes... be right back all....
Sarafina you are EVIL!! and I do so love it..

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 09-05-2011, 03:31   #50

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Drop him an e-mail, and ask him why he is so angry. It may reveal that he had a bad experience with earlier boaters. Or it may reveal that he is a bully with emotional instability who is just a PITA.

Disclaimer: I am not a shrink, and never played one on TV
Old 09-05-2011, 04:18   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Drop him an e-mail, and ask him why he is so angry. It may reveal that he had a bad experience with earlier boaters. Or it may reveal that he is a bully with emotional instability who is just a PITA.
I agree there might be another side to this story. For example he might have had it with one too many boats having an all day Salsa parties on the weekend when all he wanted to do was relax on his waterfront property. So all boaters become the enemy in his mind.

You might also play to his heart and politics rather than confront his anger with your own anger. For example when he shows up you come up from below you could be holding a copy of a book like Mark Levin's Liberty and Tryanny to send your own subtle message about freedom. Perhaps you might be holding one of his favorites Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. That might help defuse his anger. If that fails then just politley tell him have a nice day and then in front of him place two bright orange ear plugs in your ears.

I'm not a mediator nor do I play one on TV.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:34   #52

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

James Taggert type?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:50   #53

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
James Taggert type?

You're either very well read or just showing your age.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Did you get that here? Karlton Investment Group

(I only ask because that page also includes phone and fax numbers, in the event that forum members wish to consult with Mr. Karlton professionally.)
When I googled Karlton Investment Group this thread was the first post on page 5 but I'm pretty sure google will rank it higher if there are more links to it? Anyone know for sure?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:22   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
When I googled Karlton Investment Group this thread was the first post on page 5 but I'm pretty sure google will rank it higher if there are more links to it? Anyone know for sure?
Google's ranking methods are proprietary and secret and known only to the Shoal.

That said I can't imagine more activity wouldn't push it higher.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Developer Fred Karlton drops out of race for Miami Beach Commission
Developer Fred Karlton drops out of race for Miami Beach Commission

Karlton Pays Fine
http://www.fec.state.fl.us/calendar/...%20Karlton.pdf

Beach Commission Candidate Fredric Karlton Had Some Lady Troubles
Beach Commission Candidate Fredric Karlton Had Some Lady Troubles - Miami News - Riptide 2.0

Sure, Fredric Karlton had tough times with his ex. Who hasn't?
Candidate in Court - Page 1 - News - Miami - Miami New Times

In Miami Beach, "introducing ethics reform" is really a sneaky way to take down your political rival.
Game On - Page 1 - News - Miami - Miami New Times

A Miami Beach native, Fred Karlton attended Miami Beach Senior High and then went on to the University of Florida, where he graduated with a degree in political science.

Karlton worked as a real estate sales associate before becoming vice president of the family business: J.S. Karlton Investment Company. He eventually founded his own investment company, Karlton Investment Group, in 1989.

The father of two sons, Aaron, 14, and Ryan, 22, Karlton currently acts as president of his own development company, running the successful business himself and personally managing his 15 employees.

He has been an active member of the community: a former board member of The Miami Symphony, a former Coach of the Year as a volunteer for the Suniland and Norlise youth football leagues, and having served as a counselor for the Children’s Cancer Caring Center.

Karlton served on the Miami Beach Capital Improvement Projects Oversight Committee and he was an influential, and controversial figure in the 2007 election — he was a major contributor to the campaign of now-Commissioner Ed Tobin. Karlton also personally financed a PAC with several thousand dollars to attack Tobin’s opponent, then-Commissioner Michael Gongora.

Even when not taking into account the more than $50,000 he has loaned himself during this campaign, Karlton has raised more money than any other Group 2 candidate. His campaign war chest at the end of the second quarter contained roughly $119,000.

Karlton hopes to bring his financial expertise to the city commission.

“Our great city faces the most severe budget challenges in my lifetime,” Karlton said. “and we can no longer afford business as usual at City Hall.”

Old 09-05-2011, 09:58   #57

Boat: Leopard 47 Catamaran

"The man grumbled some things about making our life miserable, said he'd be back and said he would park his boat right next to us tomorrow with the music going."

By threating to take an illegal action with the apparent means to carry out the threat is by most legal definitions an assault.

I could imagine "making my life miserable" to include sinking the boat, beating me viciously, cutting the mooring line etc".

I could also imagine the utterance " make your life miserable" could easily be mistaken for "make your wife missing" or a threat of kidnapping.

The police, marine or otherwise, should be contacted as soon as the threat is issued and a formal complaint lodged.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:09   #58

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
In Miami Beach, "introducing ethics reform" is really a sneaky way to take down your political rival.
Game On - Page 1 - News - Miami - Miami New Times
Someone should forward this thread to David Bolger as noted in the article who I am sure would be happy to include it in his publication.

Up here, in Georgian Bay Canada, I have also heard of unfriendly landowners making anchorages unwelcome, although never to the extent described in this thread. The worst I have heard is a big sign on shore stating "Anchoring Boats NOT Welcome". I guess from the landowner's perspective, they pay the big bucks for the land and taxes and then "free loading" boaters come in with a few bad apples (causing noise or pollution) who ruin it for other boaters.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:24   #59

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I can think of lots of ways to annoy this chooch. Subscribing to every magazine you see in the next 6 months for him would be nice. Sign him up for Columbia House CDs. Select all country and western, new age and Gregorian Chants if they have them. Even if he complains to CH, they are so screwed up it would take 2 years before they figured out not to mail him anymore junk.

Or you could do something totally unexpected. Ask him if he'd like to come aboard for drinks n dinner. Look sad if he sez no.

But I think in the end, follow the laws that apply, stay as long as you legally can, and smile at him as he slowly goes into a fit. Having a DVR handy in case he comes close enough to make threats would be a good idea, followed up by a call to the local law. But I would make it my mission to anchor out there for as long as possible, as much as possible. Wear ear plugs to sleep. I do, and could sleep through the end of the world.

Sabre
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

Be careful here. This is Miami Beach and he is one of the city commissioner and a powerful well known guy. I'm not sure how the police will react. Also I will not recommend this CF to incite (directly or indirectly) people doing crazy things to retaliate. Careful.

Tags
miami