Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 17:43   #1

Boat: Hunter 380
Brunswick Landing Marina Huuuge Rate Increase

Just received notification in our March statement that Brunswick Landing Marina will increase its rates after March 31 from $12.00/foot to $12.50/foot. All boats will be re-measured to reflect the length from bowsprit to anything attached to the stern or swim platform (dinghies, davits, etc.) rather than manufacturers LOA. Additionally, a $24.00/month "environmental fee" will also be added. Electricity will increase by $.05/kw. from $.18 to $.23.

Thanks, Bob!
bigbrownpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Brunswick Landing Marina Huuuge Rate Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrownpilot View Post
Just received notification in our March statement that Brunswick Landing Marina will increase its rates after March 31 from $12.00/foot to $12.50/foot. All boats will be re-measured to reflect the length from bowsprit to anything attached to the stern or swim platform (dinghies, davits, etc.) rather than manufacturers LOA. Additionally, a $24.00/month "environmental fee" will also be added. Electricity will increase by $.05/kw. from $.18 to $.23.

Thanks, Bob!
I'm not sure this necessarily constitutes a "Huuuge Rate Increase" seeing as this is only bringing the marina's rates in line with the other competing marinas in the area.
dailysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:52   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

Yes, fifty cents a foot is not a "huge rate increase".

The environmental fee is questionable, but it may have something to do with government imposed conditions. You should ask. The electric charge may be from the power company.

Certainly, you can ask the management about these fees and in the end, decide if you want to stay or find a different marina.

We stayed there as a transient for three days last May and were impressed with the marina and the staff. The town was nice to visit, that's why we extended our stay. Fuel prices were good as well.

BTW: Posting a complaint like this on a public forum isn't likely to win you any friends among the marina management. You might be forced to find another marina.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
BTW: Posting a complaint like this on a public forum isn't likely to win you any friends among the marina management. You might be forced to find another marina.
If their rates are in line with others around the area, a posting like this one shouldn't bother them at all. If it DOES bother them, I would have to ask myself, why?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:38   #5

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Well, you could always move to dock 15...the rates went down there.
Old 04-03-2016, 15:08   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

What state are we talking about? Not mentioned in the poster's profile. It would be nice if everyone's profile included their state or country.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 15:29   #7

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

For you less than astute Yankees, Brunswick is in Georgia.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:50   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
For you less than astute Yankees, Brunswick is in Georgia.
There must be only one "less than astute" Floridian who has never heard of Brunswick, Maine-Maryland-New York-North Carolina-New Jersey...etc., so I won't waste my time proving how ignorant that response was.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:37   #9

Boat: Pearson 365

They are going up because "they can". More people are cruising and buying boats these days. Marina fees have gone up all up and down the coast. Some more than others. Environmental fees are nuts. Measuring bow sprites is splitting hairs. They must have a full marina with those bold charges. If enough people leave and go other places maybe they will get the idea.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:09   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
They are going up because "they can". More people are cruising and buying boats these days. Marina fees have gone up all up and down the coast. Some more than others. Environmental fees are nuts. Measuring bow sprites is splitting hairs. They must have a full marina with those bold charges. If enough people leave and go other places maybe they will get the idea.
If "they can", they can because of the law of Supply and Demand. Based upon the improvements detailed in the Notice, however, I suspect much of the listed increase is part and parcel of the Marina's effort to recover its capital investment (which, itself, benefits slip owners) and, somewhat, to reserve for future investments within the limits of Supply and Demand. A marina is, after all, a business. In re: "Environmental Fees", the impositions of the EPA, DEP et al on business are manifest and unavoidable. Identifying them as a separate, specific, cost item serves the useful purpose of letting people see the effects of their choices/elections which may, or may not, give them pause the next time around. The same applies to the cost for electrical service. As for measuring length overall. Boats take up space from their bowsprits/cranz irons to their transoms/boomkins/davit ends by their width overall. I may not care for it but it is a fact. If one needs be in a larger slip to keep one's gear/ appendages from obstructing other slips or gangways, one is obligated to pay for it, no?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:34   #11

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I never quite understood the pay by the foot concept. If a slip will fit a 40 foot boat and you have a 40 foot boat things are great, but the same slip containing a 35 foot boat still has has the same finger piers, takes the same dock space, etc. Why does the 35 foot boat pay less money than the 40 foot boat? In NC where I kept my boat several marinas charged based on the slip size. Depending on the marina there were 30, 40, 50, and 60 ft slips available and each had a flat rate. In one case all the slips would accommodate the same length boats, but some were cat slips. They charged the same rate for all of the monohull slips and a different rate for the cat slips which occupied 2 monohull spaces but had only 1 power pedestal so it wasn't quite twice the monohull space rent. This always seemed to make more sense to me than a by the foot rate.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:53   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Docking along a pier is the only time paying by the foot is logical from my perspective.
My Marina charges the same for slips regardless of what is in the slip. I would assume if you paid by the foot and had a 25' boat in a 50' slip, well then they would want to kick you out if a 50' boat wanted to rent? Double the money?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:14   #13

Boat: Ohlson 29

In my marina, you pay per square foot (meter), with a minimum of 80% of the slip size.
In others, it's by slip size, usually something like 08 - 10 meter, 10 - 12 meter etc. So if you have an 8 mtr boat, you pay the same amount as a 10 mtr boat.

I like the square foot system better, saves me a lot of money (about 8,5 meter boat ).

Guests (staying only a few nights) are usually charged per foot (or actually, meter) length. Which makes sense since you're usually at a pier.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:44   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I never quite understood the pay by the foot concept. If a slip will fit a 40 foot boat and you have a 40 foot boat things are great, but the same slip containing a 35 foot boat still has has the same finger piers, takes the same dock space, etc. Why does the 35 foot boat pay less money than the 40 foot boat? ...
In my experience since the late 1960's they do not. Every marina we have occupied from Sausalito, to Richmond, to San Rafael to Long Beach, in California; to Ft. Lauderdale, to Miami Beach, to Bradenton, in Fla., the policies have always been the same. The charge was/is based upon the greater of LOA (including appendages) or slip length. In most every case, there were limitations on the amount of slip "overhang", or, the extent to which one's yacht could extend beyond the outer limits of the slip length, generally in the range of 4-6 feet. There were also limits on the extent of under size yachts in larger slips via a lease/rental agreement proviso that the marina management reserved the right to relocate an under-sized boat within the marina to accommodate a larger boat in the otherwise under utilized slip. With our former yacht (29'LOA, 9' beam), on several occasions over the years were were involuntarily relocated to accommodate owners with larger boats. While I sometimes disliked the outcome, I couldn't argue the logic of the move. With our larger boat, on several occasions, we arranged to "swap" slips with larger or smaller boats to accommodate our, or their, needs (often difficulties associated with "prop walk" in reverse). Marina management virtually never had a problem with such private arrangements.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 17:10   #15

A justification of charging dockage by boat lenght is that the bigger the boat, the heavier it is (plus greater windage and current loading)and consequently the greater loading, wear and tear on the dock. This generally increases as a cube of the length, so you're fortunate not to be charged 8 times more than someone half your length.
Mirror16 is offline   Reply With Quote