Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2011, 16:03   #1

Boston to Galveston, Texas Transit

When is the best time to attempt a transit from ME to Texas? The vessel in question would be a 29 ft Ketch, wooden vessel shoal draft with a atomic 4 for an auxillary. Berths for 3. All comments and advice welcome.
sailor49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 16:35   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Boston to Galveston, Texas Transit

Wait until hurricane season has ended, then come on down. Are you planning to go ICW the whole way? The Gulf of Mexico can get nasty when the cold fronts start rolling in.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 17:11   #3

When would you say is the soonest date you would depart? Would you like to sail her for me? I have no idea if the engine would last for an extended trip inside like that and i have no idea what the Fuel usage to mileage would be for an atomic 4 with this type of hull. My resources are very limited due to a fixed income at poverty level VA Disability pension. I have 3 hrs to make up my mind to bid for the privilege of ownership. So I'm trying to sort this out, its a big leap for me.
Old 25-09-2011, 17:13   #4

Get to Cape May now. In about two weeks the waters from Cape May to Portland ME may start to see the first winter North Atlantic gales. These can come out of no where. Boat and lives are lost every year.

From Cape May the ICW can be tedious at times but is safe and predictable.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 17:16   #5

Oops. I just saw your message. Sit this one out. Any new boat will have issues that should be fixed. You'll be tempted to rush repairs to beat winter. That's a recipe for disaster.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 17:20   #6

Here are the particulars as presented for this particular vessel for sale.

Halfmoon was built in 1972 on the island of Vinalhaven, Maine in Penobscot Bay. She is a double-ender as you can tell from the pictures, and she was built as a combination of the popular Herreschoff 28 and a seagoing Dory. Shoal keel with skeg-mounted rudder. She is constructed of marine plywood sheathed in fiberglass over oak frames. She is seaworthy and very well maintained. Her owner recently completed a cruise from Boston to Mount Desert Island without any problems. This boat needs nothing and could be sailed off her mooring ball today without any problems. She currently sits on a mooring ball in Rockland Harbor and, if desired, could remain there until the end of the season.

Some more information about the boat:
  • Powered by a 30 HP inboard Atomic 4 Universal engine. The engine has been well-maintained and starts up on the first crank. There are two batteries, 650 and 1000 amp-hours. Connected to the battery/house system via a master switch. 10 amp alternator on the engine. The engine compartment opens up entirely for great access. New 15-gallon aluminum fuel tank was installed at the beginning of this season.
  • Four sails included. Main sail is BRAND NEW this season. Mizzen sail was replaced two years ago, and there is a storm jib and genoa which are both several years old now but in good shape. Self-tacking jib boom is included for use with the storm jib.
  • The boat sails comfortably and balances very well. There is lots of storage down below, as well as in the port/starboard/aft lazarettes in the cockpit.
  • Front v-berth sleeps two people comfortably, and port/starboard beds sleep another person each. Manual-pump head is an a separate small enclosed room. Two-burner propane Coleman stove works perfectly and has played host to many pasta dishes, scrambled eggs, and fresh mussels.
  • Also included is a handheld Garmin GPS, several cruising charts of the East Coast, multiple anchors, depth sounder, current flares, and lots of life jackets.
Any comments?
Old 25-09-2011, 17:20   #7
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor49 View Post
Would you like to sail her for me?
Sorry, I'm working 60-70 hrs. a week (in Texas).

Don't make a foolish decision. "3 hours to decide" seems a foolish decision, IMO.

Why Texas, BTW?

Ralph
Old 25-09-2011, 17:26   #8

Most of my family lives in Houston and 1 brother in Lufkin. This is a really nice boat except for its present location and the best i've found within my financial reach.
Old 25-09-2011, 17:52   #9
RTB

I live in San Antonio, and the boat is in Kemah, not far from Galveston.

Damn, Indiana is a long way from Texas!

From your post - Powered by a 30 HP inboard Atomic 4 Universal engine. The engine has been well-maintained and starts up on the first crank.

Why are you worried about the engine? It could be a fun trip, if you are up to it, and not on a time schedule. I have no experience north of Jacksonville, so you might listen to the NE coast guys about conditions this time of the year. When does the migration to the Bahamas begin for you NE guys?
Old 25-09-2011, 18:16   #10

yep Hoosierland is a long way from anything. And i am hopeing this will be the last year i have to endure corn and soybean pollen and dust. I want(NEED) to get back on the water. I'll give the house back to the bank gladly. As for going inside where does the ICW begin? And isn't it like 2500 miles or something inside by ICW. sounds like a lot of hours and great expense for fuel. Also not having charts and any knowlege of the route. After i get into the gulf i have 23 years of practical knowlege about the area and my own charts.
Old 25-09-2011, 21:08   #11

Took your advice carlF, i decided to sit this one out even though the boat sold for a paltry sum of $2750. The weather the distance and the logistics were sure to be presenting problems that were sure to consume whatever measly sums I have available. I wish this boat were available in a more favorable season. Looks like another rotten stinking winter wonderland in good ole Indiana.
Old 27-09-2011, 22:21   #12
RTB

If you want to go to Texas, why not just drive or fly? There are plenty of boats for sale here.
Old 28-09-2011, 07:16   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor49 View Post
Here are the particulars as presented for this particular vessel for sale. . . . Any comments?
Be warned that the information in most listings is either not correct or greatly overly optimistic. For instance: "There are two batteries, 650 and 1000 amp-hours." No such batteries exist that will fit into that size boat. What they are probably referring to is the "cold-cranking amps". So take any information in a "listing" with a huge grain of salt. Rarely is it accurate.
- - So it is good that you passed on this one. Also wood hulled, sitting on a mooring - is an indicator that the boat probably has "worms" and would have to be trashed. They may just be trying to get somebody to take the thing so they don't have to pay to have the boat disposed of legally.
- - For super-low budget boats, IMHO, only look at FRG - fiberglass boats. They may look like hell, but can be cleaned up with a little work so long as they have not been sunk or submerged.
- - If you have the time to actually look around you can find lots of abandoned boats in the various southern States for next to nothing (free - but you have to pay for a Sheriff's title procedures).
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas