Old 06-07-2020, 12:17   #31

Boat: 1987 C&C 35 MK3
Re: BoatUS Cracked My Hull

Nobody asked you for your compassion.
robertwcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:19   #32

I pay for BoatUS and have for 10years. I have not been to Bishop rock. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:27   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwcass View Post
Nobody asked you for your compassion.

so now you are god...wow... amazing. and no one said you deserved to have damages. such hypersensitivity and twisted thinking.
you posted on a large not necessarily sympathetic forum that you screwed up and needed a tow and tow broke your precious... and you think you deserve total abject kindness and sympathy for your errors. wow..
this should be filed under more to learn before cruising section, not the i am god kiss my ring section.

good luck in your learning curve time.. practice practice practice. i do hope your learning is complete before you try international waters so your addiction to tow boats is effectively ended.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:32   #34

Thanks to all those who posted something useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	218814  
Old 06-07-2020, 12:45   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The moderators are watching, so all please calm down. No one died and everyone got home, all be it that a yacht was scratched.

The tow firm are trying to help and as others have pointed out really gone out of their way, perhaps way more than some marine bis do. Let them get on with trying to match by polishing the gelcoat shall we?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:46   #36

Thanks Pete for your wise advice.
Old 06-07-2020, 13:37   #37

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
I love all the super perfect sailors who come up with perfectly useless and accusitory posts. First, I pay for the BoatUS service. They ran into my boat and damaged it. Anybody that thinks that I deserved to have my boat damaged because I asked for help can eat sh#$.
I'm thinking this was kind of a relatively harmless learning experience of "instant Karma", since the entire situation was born out of your request, not your needs.

The fact that you apparently turned down the offer of fuel after requesting a 200 mile round trip to deliver it to you shows, and proves by your arrival in port, that the fuel was not needed in the first place. (personally I would not have had the nerve to not accept the fuel out of complete gratitude for the delivery captain's efforts -- we are very different people)

If you're addressing your "perfectly prepared sailors who never needed any help from anyone" comment to me; in my case you are half right. I've never asked anyone for help in any situation I've been in to date. There's no doubt that some luck may also have been involved, but that's over a 46 year period of sailing and owning the boats in my sig. I guess I've been pretty lucky, with some good preparation sprinkled in there for a wee bit more good luck.

Lastly; suggesting people eat human excrement who disagree with your tactics at sea will not help, nor get you more Karma points in your offshore sailing account. Please calm down and try to re-channel your anger.
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 14:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
I'm thinking this was kind of a relatively harmless learning experience of "instant Karma", since the entire situation was born out of your request, not your needs.

The fact that you apparently turned down the offer of fuel after requesting a 200 mile round trip to deliver it to you shows, and proves by your arrival in port, that the fuel was not needed in the first place. (personally I would not have had the nerve to not accept the fuel out of complete gratitude for the delivery captain's efforts -- we are very different people)

If you're addressing your "perfectly prepared sailors who never needed any help from anyone" comment to me; in my case you are half right. I've never asked anyone for help in any situation I've been in to date. There's no doubt that some luck may also have been involved, but that's over a 46 year period of sailing and owning the boats in my sig. I guess I've been pretty lucky, with some good preparation sprinkled in there for a wee bit more good luck.

Lastly; suggesting people eat human excrement who disagree with your tactics at sea will not help, nor get you more Karma points in your offshore sailing account. Please calm down and try to re-channel your anger.

If you read Capt Rob’s note, neither he nor I said I didn’t take the fuel. I did take the fuel and the engine wouldn’t start due being fouled by bottom of the tank gunk. I primed my filters and line but it still wouldn’t start. I chose to continue to sail because the wind came up. My only suggestion to anyone is if you don’t have something relevant to say and only want to prove that you’re more knowledgeable or experienced than someone else, and/or don’t have all the facts, keep it to yourself. No one posts a question on here to here smart asses or holier than though comments. It’s just a waste of time.
Old 06-07-2020, 15:08   #39

preparation is key. much to do before leaving port as you are learning.
the only comments unhelpful havenot been from our cheap seats but from the op. sorry to be so bluntly truthful as i realize truth is new form of hate speech.
prep prep prep and then more breaks while out in ocean. there are two solutions to this issue--whine whine whine or prep prep prep. i prefer prep. i am able to sail a broken boat 300 miles as i have repeatedly proven. prep prep prep is key. both self and boat.
Old 06-07-2020, 16:20   #40

Like I said, everything you post is for your own ego and is irrelevant and a waste of time
Old 06-07-2020, 17:14   #41

Boat: Norseman 447

Since 1976, I’ve been towed in twice.

Once, off the SF sea buoy, on a 50+ day passage from Tahiti. I’d been filling the single tank from the on-deck jerry cans, so they were all empty. The main tank raptured a seam and leaked all the fuel into the bilge. We were becalmed right where the ships pickup and drop off the pilots. By that time, we were out of batteries, so no motor, no lights (way pre-LED). No wind. Could we have waited until the wind came up? Absolutely, but the pilot boat and the USCG wanted me out of their way and offered a tow. I wasn’t so proud that I turned them down.

The second time was going into the Galapagos. An oil pipe on the engine broke about 40 miles out. We sailed in until the wind died about 10 miles out. I called a friend in the anchorage to tell him I’d be late. He then informed me that there was a local boat about 10 minutes away who would be more than happy to tow me in. I probably wouldn’t have accepted, but it was a one-time-right-now offer and my wife threatened me with extreme displeasure if I didn’t accept.

But I have to admit that running out of fuel without some exigent circumstance is usually considered "pilot error."
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 17:15   #42

Quote:
Like I said, everything you post is for your own ego and is irrelevant and a waste of time
spoken like a true nonsailor. SAILORS know prep is everything,. it is a shame you cannot learn. perhaps some day you will understand the idea behind preparation for short trips and longer passages.
i have a lot more miles and time under my keel than you will ever have, and began learning this at age 7. you have a very loong way to go before your sophomoric attitude will end and reality hit. best of luck to you.
Old 06-07-2020, 18:32   #43

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Thanks to all those who posted something useful.
I assume that is the damage caused. Could you also post a picture of the area post repair please. That is after all the reason for the post.
No one doubts that damage was done, or repaired. The question you posted was is it repaired well enough, as In color blended.
Thanks
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 18:51   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
spoken like a true nonsailor. SAILORS know prep is everything,. it is a shame you cannot learn. perhaps some day you will understand the idea behind preparation for short trips and longer passages.
i have a lot more miles and time under my keel than you will ever have, and began learning this at age 7. you have a very loong way to go before your sophomoric attitude will end and reality hit. best of luck to you.

Haha, what’s it gonna take for you to just shut up? I don’t want or need your advice and I most certainly didn’t ask for it ever. Just go back to the bar and see if you can get someone to listen old grand lady of the sea!

Tags
boat, hull