Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 19:49   #16

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser
Re: BoatUS Cracked My Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
BoatUS ran into your sailboat!?! BoatUS is an organization. It is not a physical thing, and it does not own any boats itself. So, if you want to pursue this any further, the first thing you need to do is figure out who really ran into your boat. Perhaps a tow company that is associated with BoatUS, and so had their logo on the side?
Exactly right. Presumably the OP means one of the companies which has a towing services agreement with BoatUS and has the TowBoatUS logo on the side. They are separate contractors. I suspect the OP will find out that they are responsible for any damage they do and they have their own liability insurance. I suggest this is one of those things where the OP's insurance company should talk to their insurance company (the company liable for the damage).
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:32   #17

It may be that reinstating your boat to an "as was" condition is simply not sensible economically. In which case you should claim for any fall in value.
grahamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:05   #18

I run TowboatUS San Diego. My boat was the one that responded to the vessel reported out of fuel 98nm W of Point Loma. When on scene my captain got crossed up in a swell and clipped the port stern side of the vessel. I’m not on this page to argue but if our heavy boat would have hit the vessel at 10-15 knots this would be a post of how we sank the vessel. Regardless, once on scene we acknowledged the damage and determined it was well above the waterline.
The fuel delivery did not work. Assuming further mechanical issues and the damage to the hull, our captains (2) suggested they tow the vessel to Safe Harbor. The mariner declined the tow as he wanted to complete the solo sail from Hawaii to San Diego.
A few days after the vessel arrival to port the mariner contacted us stating he could not get insurance due to the damage and was going to get kicked out of his slip. The closest boatyard haul day was August due to COVID and them backlogged. Our Council advised us that although we were responsible to pay for the repair , we were not responsible tor Insuring the vessel or the morning of the vessel.
However, we first contacted the insurance company via email to inform them, we damaged the vessel and would pay to have it fixed as soon as a boatyard could take it.
The mariner text us to say he was getting kicked out of the marina.
Although we had no obligation to act, we used our long standing work relation with Marine Group Boat works (the largest yacht boat yard on the west coast) and within a few days we towed the vessel to the boat yard, Hauled the vessel, repaired the vessel with an attempt to color match, launch the vessel and tow it back to its slip. All Paid for by us And with zero out of pocket expense to the mariner.
The mariner was informed by the boat yard manager that there is no way to match sun faded hull but would do the best they could do. After the vessel was viewed by the mariner at the boatyard and delivered iback to the slip the mariner contacted our staff and complained about color match.
Our staff immediately replied and informed the mariner we would look into it. ( it’s been less than a week)
We have not closed our file on this and will see this through.
We have one of the top yacht detailers in the harbor going to look to see if he can get enough shine out of the 33 year old gel cote to come closer to the Newley applied gel cote.
Captainrob619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:40   #19

Boat: 1987 C&C 35 MK3

Every thing you said is true and I am grateful for your accepting responsibility.
robertwcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:40   #20

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainrob619 View Post
I run TowboatUS San Diego. My boat was the one that responded to the vessel reported out of fuel 98nm W of Point Loma. When on scene my captain got crossed up in a swell and clipped the port stern side of the vessel. I’m not on this page to argue but if our heavy boat would have hit the vessel at 10-15 knots this would be a post of how we sank the vessel. Regardless, once on scene we acknowledged the damage and determined it was well above the waterline.
The fuel delivery did not work. Assuming further mechanical issues and the damage to the hull, our captains (2) suggested they tow the vessel to Safe Harbor. The mariner declined the tow as he wanted to complete the solo sail from Hawaii to San Diego.
A few days after the vessel arrival to port the mariner contacted us stating he could not get insurance due to the damage and was going to get kicked out of his slip. The closest boatyard haul day was August due to COVID and them backlogged. Our Council advised us that although we were responsible to pay for the repair , we were not responsible tor Insuring the vessel or the morning of the vessel.
However, we first contacted the insurance company via email to inform them, we damaged the vessel and would pay to have it fixed as soon as a boatyard could take it.
Although we had no obligation to act, we used our long standing work relation with Marine Group Boat works (the largest yacht boat yard on the west coast) and within a few days we towed the vessel to the boat yard, Hauled the vessel, repaired the vessel with an attempt to color match, launch the vessel and tow it back to its slip. All Paid for by us And with zero out of pocket expense to the mariner.
The mariner was informed by the boat yard manager that there is no way to match sun faded hull but would do the best they could do. After the vessel was viewed by the mariner at the boatyard and delivered iback to the slip the mariner contacted our staff and complained about color match.
Our staff immediately replied and informed the mariner we would look into it. ( it’s been less than a week)
We have one of the top yacht detailers in the harbor going to look to see if he can get enough shine out of the 33 year old gel cote to come closer to the Newley applied gel cote.
I'm impressed with the level of service and responsibility you and your company have. I sincerely hope other marine companies aspire to match.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:46   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainrob619 View Post
Could not ask for a better response. If I am ever in SD and need a tow I know who to call.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:47   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sounds like tow company is not the bad guy here.. it takes 2 to tangle in a mess. be happy the boat is repaired. rejoice in its completion.
thankyou captainrob619 for your analysis of situation.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:09   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sounds like tow company is not the bad guy here.. it takes 2 to tangle in a mess. be happy the boat is repaired. rejoice in its completion.
thankyou captainrob619 for your analysis of situation.
Did I read fuel transfer did not work. Anyone running out of fuel has no one to blame but themselves.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 16:31   #24

Captain Rob is a great guy and I have been a BoatUS customer for almost ten years. As I said in my original post they took responsibility and did help with the insurance company and got my boat into a yard much quicker than I would have. My purpose in my original post was to ask if they should be responsible for the decrease in value that my boat incurred as a result of the accident, not to bad mouth BoatUS or Rob and his crew. The fact is is that when/if I go to sell the boat I will have to disclose the accident, not to mention the obvious area of repair. This will surely make it harder to sell the boat and could possible result in a monetary loss. As for anyone blaming me for the damage to the boat because I ran out of fuel after 31 days at sea on a singlehanded sail from Honolulu to San Diego, while becalmed 8 miles from and drifting toward Cortez Bank, thanks for your input. In closing, I repeat, Rob and his crew have gone above and beyond on accepting responsibility and helping to get the boat repaired very quickly. I am very grateful for that and strongly and without qualification endorse BoatUS, Rob, and his crew.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:10   #25

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Did I read fuel transfer did not work. Anyone running out of fuel has no one to blame but themselves.
Excuse me but; a sailboat running out of fuel a hundred miles from its destination and calling for help? Seriously? And then refusing the fuel so they could change their mind and sail on to San Diego? I'd have to be in a pretty bad situation before I'd ask a guy to drive to Cortez Banks to deliver me some diesel. AFAIC this ranks right up there with not liking the price per gallon and sending the guy back to home port. That Boat US guy put on 200 miles for absolutely nothing. What about his fuel for that? I don't see anyone even talking about that.

And as we see; becalmed 8 miles to weather of Cortez Bank turns out to be a non issue. That little "pin prick" of Bishop rock would be hard to find if you were actually looking for it! I've personally been around that rock on several singlehanded PSSA races, (Marina del Rey, around the rock and back to MDR). I guess I just don't get the modern day sailor.
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:20   #26

lack of preplanning creates issues ... now..end the dependence on towboats as when and iff you sail away there is no one gonna pull you off the rocks you land in but yourself.
captainrob isnot the bad guy. lack of preplanning is
Old 06-07-2020, 12:07   #27

Thanks for your input. And no one ever said that Capt Rob is the bad guy. Also, I'm glad you are a perfectly prepared sailor who never needed help from anyone.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:12   #28

I love all the super perfect sailors who come up with perfectly useless and accusitory posts. First, I pay for the BoatUS service. They ran into my boat and damaged it. Anybody that thinks that I deserved to have my boat damaged because I asked for help can eat sh#$.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwcass View Post
Thanks for your input. And no one ever said that Capt Rob is the bad guy. Also, I'm glad you are a perfectly prepared sailor who never needed help from anyone.

as i donot sail usa waters there is no assistance. try to become less dependent on others -- this IS sailing, after all and supposed to be an independent not a dependent activity.
i feel no compassion for those unable to preplan or unable to understand the situations into which they place themselves and their potential guests or crew. this is called RESPONSIBILITY. and is most important.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:15   #30

Like I said, thanks for your input.

Tags
boat, hull