Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 09:26   #46
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent
Re: Boating with the famous and semi famous: Ya have any celebrity friends?

Our friend Ed is a researcher at Children's Hospital in LA.
We met Ed one busy weekend in Two Harbors Catalina when we were on neighbouring moorings.
Rarely a week now passes where we don't have lunch with Ed.
An amazing person.

He told us Tuesday Paris Hilton came into Children's Hospital in the middle of the night.
Celibs come in and visit in the early hours when the public is mostly gone.

She spends hours visiting the kids, and brings them cool gifts, and listens to their needs and will help out with that too.
Many of the sick children have no family, it's really sad, but Hilton is right there for them giving them some lovin that is missing in their lives.

Childrens has a 24 hour McDonalds and Hilton will form a safari of kids with their mobile IV stands. Those that can eat McD's all stand in line together to order and she springs for a late nite rations run.

As Paris was leaving the hospital,, she opened her check book and wrote the hospital a check for $500.000.

"Happens with Paris Hilton all the time" Ed mentioned in closing. "She insists on no picture and no publicity.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:18   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I have had the dis-pleasure of living next door to Andy Griffith when I lived in Manteo NC...He is one of the meanest and most self centered people I have ever had the pleasure of giving the middle finger to..and I have encountered him several times...Once he had some friends come from where ever movie people come from and wanted to take them duck hunting but didnt have any guns so he went to my landlords Ace hardware store and told her he didnt know which gun to buy so he took several with him so to make up his mind..he never found the time to take them back so when Mrs. Evens called his house he had someone take them back with the mud and scraches and all the damage done 2 months after duck season ended...then another time he was drunk in his pontoon boat and drifting into my buddies net,when we approched him and told him he was in the net he cussed us and said he would"fix our attitude"...the next day my friend went to sell his fish at Davey Croketts fish market and was told that Andy had come in the day before and said that if Davey bought any fish from Robbie that he would lose his (Andys)business...Davey says he told him to go to hell that he didnt need his business...I always liked Andys show but he was after all acting!...If anyone has ever seen the movie "The Patriot" I was the person that supplied all the log buildings,floors,fencing, and bricks to make the sets,they kept telling me I was going to meet Mel Gibson and when they invited me to the party he never showed up but the guy that made the movie did . No one introduced me and the guy started flipping thru the blueprints telling everyone who would listen that he had real materials and that the sets would make great film because he was going to burn them,the only problem I had with that was a few days before they had contacted me and said they had a great idea and that was to "lease" the log buildings and I could come back after shooting and reclaim the logs and other sets and in his words"resale them".An old man who makes epalets(sp?)for the industry told me they would "rip me off" as they had done him(they told him he would be the supplier of epalets,but took his design to china and had them made)I guess what I am saying is in my experiance these Movie people and stars are cut from the same cloth as most crooks,just my thoughts and experiance as some may find them to be saints....DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:47   #48
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Agent View Post
Our friend Ed is a researcher at Children's Hospital in LA.
We met Ed one busy weekend in Two Harbors Catalina when we were on neighbouring moorings.
Rarely a week now passes where we don't have lunch with Ed.
An amazing person.

He told us Tuesday Paris Hilton came into Children's Hospital in the middle of the night.
Celibs come in and visit in the early hours when the public is mostly gone.

She spends hours visiting the kids, and brings them cool gifts, and listens to their needs and will help out with that too.
Many of the sick children have no family, it's really sad, but Hilton is right there for them giving them some lovin that is missing in their lives.

Childrens has a 24 hour McDonalds and Hilton will form a safari of kids with their mobile IV stands. Those that can eat McD's all stand in line together to order and she springs for a late nite rations run.

As Paris was leaving the hospital,, she opened her check book and wrote the hospital a check for $500.000.

"Happens with Paris Hilton all the time" Ed mentioned in closing. "She insists on no picture and no publicity.
Good Person- But too bad shes feeding those kids that trash from MCDs- known to kill you ! Most folks have no idea the kind of food they eat is a big reason there sick!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:56   #49
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have had the dis-pleasure of living next door to Andy Griffith when I lived in Manteo NC...He is one of the meanest and most self centered people I have ever had the pleasure of giving the middle finger to..and I have encountered him several times...Once he had some friends come from where ever movie people come from and wanted to take them duck hunting but didnt have any guns so he went to my landlords Ace hardware store and told her he didnt know which gun to buy so he took several with him so to make up his mind..he never found the time to take them back so when Mrs. Evens called his house he had someone take them back with the mud and scraches and all the damage done 2 months after duck season ended...then another time he was drunk in his pontoon boat and drifting into my buddies net,when we approched him and told him he was in the net he cussed us and said he would"fix our attitude"...the next day my friend went to sell his fish at Davey Croketts fish market and was told that Andy had come in the day before and said that if Davey bought any fish from Robbie that he would lose his (Andys)business...Davey says he told him to go to hell that he didnt need his business...I always liked Andys show but he was after all acting!...If anyone has ever seen the movie "The Patriot" I was the person that supplied all the log buildings,floors,fencing, and bricks to make the sets,they kept telling me I was going to meet Mel Gibson and when they invited me to the party he never showed up but the guy that made the movie did . No one introduced me and the guy started flipping thru the blueprints telling everyone who would listen that he had real materials and that the sets would make great film because he was going to burn them,the only problem I had with that was a few days before they had contacted me and said they had a great idea and that was to "lease" the log buildings and I could come back after shooting and reclaim the logs and other sets and in his words"resale them".An old man who makes epalets(sp?)for the industry told me they would "rip me off" as they had done him(they told him he would be the supplier of epalets,but took his design to china and had them made)I guess what I am saying is in my experiance these Movie people and stars are cut from the same cloth as most crooks,just my thoughts and experiance as some may find them to be saints....DVC
Ahh your breaking my heart, he would be the last one I would think this of- perhaps true, we all have went through some growing pains in our lives , and no one is perfect, just because your rich/famou does not mean anything expect just that your rich and famous-
Old 17-04-2012, 12:27   #50

Boat: too many

After the two posts showing the Hilton girl has a heart and Andy of Mayberry to be a horse's ass, time for my 0.02 worth, and it isn't even worth that. The few celebs that I have met has been on their turf and social gathering's at an agent's home. Like a social gathering of engineers, it was more or less shop talk. So, no different than the rest of us normal folks. Back in 1998, when Noble Drilling was breaking a record for depth of water drilling, Dick Cheney came aboard for a dog and pony show as CEO of Halliburton, and if I live to be 200 years old, I doubt if I will ever meet someone so arrogant.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 14:38   #51

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Way back in '75 me and 3 buddies,nearly penniless,went into the Wicki Up in Castries, St Lucia. Got chatting to a fellow 'long hair' at the bar,relating our travels and Atlantic crossing etc. He said he was extremly envious ! Turned out to be the bass guitar from the worlds best bandJohn Paul Jones of Zeppelin. So the next day we took him and wife and kids out sailing,they took us to dinner at their hotel and when we had to leave the next day his wife arrived at the dock with a car load of food and goodies for us, a fun time to look back on. Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 14:52   #52

steamgoat, of all celebs, I think musicians have the closest kinship to cruisers, so your experience fits the mold.
Old 17-04-2012, 15:16   #53

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

And I should care about any of this...why?
Old 17-04-2012, 15:50   #54

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Maybe right deckofficer,that season we were in Gib, in the 'pens' [boatman probably familiar with them] with SV Delia , Graham Edge and his wife, met up again in Antigua where they sold the boat, next album was 'Long Distance Voyager'
All this s**t realy doesn't matter to anybody but its fun for BS sessions in a bar over a beer or three !
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:55   #55
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
And I should care about any of this...why?
Something is lacking, and though this sense of what it is which is lacking is so vague, what is crystal clear is that something is missing. Unable to find the cause of our discontentment, we continue searching outwardly for the source of our happiness, not realizing that it is one's state of consciousness from moment to moment which determines our experience of life.
Old 17-04-2012, 16:10   #56

Gib is a good place to hang out, I was staying just east at a nudist resort, Costa Natura and would day trip there a lot. The monkeys on the rock can be a bit obnoxious, but I always enjoy socializing in my primary language instead of stumbling through conversation in a 2nd language, and that was the nearest English speaking enclave for the area.

The resort I stayed at for my month off, I was working in the North Sea at the time.

The Rock, taken with a 135mm lens on a 35 mm camera, pre-digital

Those monkeys, you needed munchies to toss for them to get off your car.

Old 17-04-2012, 16:26   #57

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

The monkeys are famous but are they rich?
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 16:37   #58
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
The monkeys are famous but are they rich?
I was in GIB and buying an ice cream bar- I put it on the counter and a monkey ran in the store jumped up on the counter and grabbed my Ice Cream and was gone, before I could move !! Just outside the door he unwrapped it and eat it in front of me !!
Old 18-04-2012, 08:46   #59

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

That's RICH!!!!!
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 08:55   #60

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I was in GIB and buying an ice cream bar- I put it on the counter and a monkey ran in the store jumped up on the counter and grabbed my Ice Cream and was gone, before I could move !! Just outside the door he unwrapped it and eat it in front of me !!
Did they charge YOU instead of the monkey for the ice cream bar???

That would really suck!
Did you make sure it wasn't the owner's pet and he was increasing biz in a sneaky way?

Johnny
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating