Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 05:30   #31
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Boating with the famous and semi famous: Ya have any celebrity friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I agree one needs to live ones own life and not live vicarioulsy through others. But, sadly many people do. Many who live in the Hollyweird bubble have this notion that the laws don't apply to them or that they are more important than someone who works for a living. Same goes for places like DC or New York where the political or media bubbles prevail. When someone starts discussing some Hollywood actor or some other personality who is in "the news" for whatever scandalous reason. I turn to them and say "And this is important for me to know because?" I'm also amused that some in Hollywood and the media think I should listen to them on some flavor of the month political/enviornmental cause they are expousing.

How do we KNOW that "many who live in Hollywood" or DC or NYC think "the laws don't apply to them." especially if we don't pay any attention to them???
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 06:54   #32

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Probably the wrong forum for an OP like this, most sailors don't give a flying fcku who they are berthed up with, the sea is such a great leveler. Rather like the beach at Niteroi where I was passing the time of day with Harry a couple of weeks ago!
Old 16-04-2012, 07:02   #33

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Worked on chris reeves boat. He was a really nice nit snotty but down to earth guy. Sorry he passed. Worked on a few of Hal Roth's boats he was a spit fire with firm vision and pointed direction. Ted Kennedy came by a local disaster to express his concern and Genuine support. I was very impressed with the gesture. He drove out early in the morning to see the site. Bill and Hilary clinton I did an event they attended and spoke at a closed event. Found them warm humorous very smart compassionate. Worked with the secret service and usually they are trying to balance a low presence because the client wants to be a person not a attraction. mostly I have found recognized names to be quite normal people nit so different from anyone else.
Since this thread seems to be for name dropping, I own Roth's last boat.

Anything I should know sabray??
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 07:43   #34

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I'm guessing a secret rum locker probably on the underside of the port settee?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 16:42   #35

Boat: A cloud in the sky

To the OP - Guys like you are exactly why guys like me use an alias and certainly wouldn't "hang" with you. Thank God I haven't had to take applications for friends, drinking buddies, or sailing buddies in about 50 years - got plenty, thank you very much. And they don't "drink and tell".

What Mimsy said +1

Luckily, for the cruisers I know, you are the exception to the rule.

Move along folks - nothing to see here but a wannabe writer for the National Enquirer..........
Ron Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 18:35   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
How do we KNOW that "many who live in Hollywood" or DC or NYC think "the laws don't apply to them." especially if we don't pay any attention to them???

Two words: Lindsay Lohan! Exactly how many breaks does one get before the legal system in LA says enough! There is plenty of other examples out there in LA. I'm talking to you Charlie Sheen!

Washington DC where I spend part of my time has it's folks like the former crackhead mayor Marion Barry whose latest comments are a gem:
“We’ve got to do something about these Asians coming in, opening up businesses, those dirty shops,” he said in the course of laying out his vision for the ward. “They ought to go. I’ll just say that right now, you know."

As for NYC
Here's exhibit A: Elliot Spitzer former Governor of New York. The hookers knew him as Client 9. Remind me if we ever meet for a drink to tell you the story of how I happened to travel along with Client 9 as he headed to one of his liasions.

Thanks to the infotainment news industry here in the U.S. it's hard to avoid hearing about some of these knuckleheads. Paying attention to them (especially the Hollywood screw ups) is the last thing on my mind. But, just glancing at google and other news sites one can't help but, notice them from time to time. They are even sometimes featured on the evening news programs.
Old 16-04-2012, 19:10   #37

Boat: mt34dt

I went into the bathroom once in Carmel, Ca., Clint was leaving and guess what? His **** stunk the same as mine--who'd a thunk it!
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:26   #38

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've never met or known anyone famous or semi anything. I might have seen the back of Wierd Al Yankovic's head while walking on a boardwalk in New Jersey (he was there for a show) while I was in high school but can't be sure. Personally, I have my own life to worry about than what those so-called famous people are up to.

Oh, I almost forgot, I did shake hands with President Obama during a trip to Afghanistan in 2010. I was eating a late dinner at one of the base cafaterias and he walked in to meet everyone.

For the most part, I'm not really interested in meeting anyone in particular.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 03:19   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Rico View Post
To the OP - Guys like you are exactly why guys like me use an alias and certainly wouldn't "hang" with you.
Please be Elvis .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 04:07   #40
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Two words: Lindsay Lohan! Exactly how many breaks does one get before the legal system in LA says enough! There is plenty of other examples out there in LA. I'm talking to you Charlie Sheen!

Washington DC where I spend part of my time has it's folks like the former crackhead mayor Marion Barry whose latest comments are a gem:
“We’ve got to do something about these Asians coming in, opening up businesses, those dirty shops,” he said in the course of laying out his vision for the ward. “They ought to go. I’ll just say that right now, you know."

As for NYC
Here's exhibit A: Elliot Spitzer former Governor of New York. The hookers knew him as Client 9. Remind me if we ever meet for a drink to tell you the story of how I happened to travel along with Client 9 as he headed to one of his liasions.

Thanks to the infotainment news industry here in the U.S. it's hard to avoid hearing about some of these knuckleheads. Paying attention to them (especially the Hollywood screw ups) is the last thing on my mind. But, just glancing at google and other news sites one can't help but, notice them from time to time. They are even sometimes featured on the evening news programs.
_______________"

You missed my point. Lindsey Lohan is an extreme. How about Susan Sarandon, who has worked quietly in the background, but passionately, for causes she believes in? My point is that those who think Lindsay Lohan is typical are looking at people as superficially as those we're criticizing for being impressed by celebrity status. Whether you're exalting someone for being famous or quickly putting them down, you're looking at other people in a prejudiced way (prejudice can be positive as well as negative).

So a famous person used hookers? So what? So do lots of not-famous people. Clumping celebrities all together a one thing or another is prejudice. Marion Barry is not the "everyman" of DC, either.

In other words, I see no difference in reading the scandal sheets to come away with either positive or negative stereotypes. If I come across a celebrity on the waters, I will try to see them as individuals -- just as I want to be seen.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 04:17   #41
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Please be Elvis .
Sorry guess again, here’s a hint he’s using the first 2 initials of his name here and in real life- and he was an American Politico- cant say more or I could be shot!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:24   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
" Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames
___"

You missed my point. Lindsey Lohan is an extreme. How about Susan Sarandon, who has worked quietly in the background, but passionately, for causes she believes in? My point is that those who think Lindsay Lohan is typical are looking at people as superficially as those we're criticizing for being impressed by celebrity status. Whether you're exalting someone for being famous or quickly putting them down, you're looking at other people in a prejudiced way (prejudice can be positive as well as negative).

So a famous person used hookers? So what? So do lots of not-famous people. Clumping celebrities all together a one thing or another is prejudice. Marion Barry is not the "everyman" of DC, either.

In other words, I see no difference in reading the scandal sheets to come away with either positive or negative stereotypes. If I come across a celebrity on the waters, I will try to see them as individuals -- just as I want to be seen.
Raku

Susan Sarandon? I guess some might consider it alturistic that she occasionaly leaves her multi million dollar apartment to go speak to the anarchists at Occupy Wall Street. But, that's not a crowd I tend to hang out with.

I've nothing against hookers. But, I do hold pols to a little higher standard. Especially guys like Eliott Spitzer who was not only Governor of New York but, also Attorney General. He was a guy who prosecuted and threw people in jail for the same things he was doing. He should have known better. A brazen act of hurbris if ever I saw one and he's not the only one I could mention others.

Guys like Marion Barry are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to corruption in cities like DC. I also like to see that politicians pay their taxes. But, maybe that's just because I do. Barry had a little trouble there too! But, he's not the only either.

Over the years I've worked or met a lot of people who might be considered rich and/or famous sometimes infamous too. Some were very pleasant and some were raving lunetics. Not many I would put, on a pedestal like others do. I reserve that position for someone working 16 hours in a research lab trying to find a cure for some disease and others who toil out of the limelight of the "media". Commercial fisherman and the like.

But, I agree with you if I were to be in a bar and some "celebrity" were to show up I'd have a pleasant conversation if they were up for it. But, I'm not going to be buying drinks for guys like Jimmy Buffet either. Unless of course he agrees to a benefit concert for the Capt. Mike Fund For Living. Well, then the next round is on me.
Old 17-04-2012, 06:47   #43

Boat: 73 pearson 35

Nice,
Was realy worried about internet service the end of the month.Thank you for reminding me why i can live without it.
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:04   #44

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I don't want to brag, but. . . . I hang out at this place with some of the most awesome celebrities.

Why, I have rubbed shoulders with Zeehag and David Old Jersey and GordMay and Hud3 and Boatman and Evans Starzinger and Peg Hall. . . . Hard to believe, I know. Most ordinary landlubber losers never even get anywhere near these guys.

Actually, in real life, I'm good friends with one fairly famous author. He has a sailboat -- but because he's out on book promo tours or speaking engagements almost constantly, he rarely has time to go sailing.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:35   #45

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and I have shared ancorages with some Fancy folks and some Outlaws, over the 30 yrs of cruising weve done !! and ya know some of the Fancy Folk drank way worse Rum then we do !! and some of the Outlaws had some REAL Good STUFF !! Ya just never know ! Ya Know?? LOL

Tags
boating