Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2014, 09:48   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Boat Years Age

I wonder how old my boat really is. In actual years it is a 2001 model so it is 13 years old. But in Boat years I wonder if this really means anything. Consider that:

- in lives in the NE USA and is dry stored for 6 months/year
- it mostly is only sailed on the weekends plus a week and some odd day sails, so only gets sailed lets say on average 70 days/year
- most sail days are only 6-10 hours, so that only works out to around 420-700 hours (17.5-29 days)
- the boat isn't normally sailed in bad conditions and since we are conservative sailors we don't push the boat hard and it isn't unusual for us to be reefed when no one else is
- the sails are only exposed to the sun the same 420-700 hours/yr (the sail cover is a lot more worn looking than the sails)
- the standing rigging for the most part are just holding up the mast and that isn't aging it much
- the boat systems aren't being used all that much. The biggest system being used is the refrigerator as I leave that on all the time now and keep the batteries charged with solar
- the wiring connections of course are always exposed to everyday use and that is why those are the biggest maintenance related things that go bad
- the engine gets around 75 hours run time a year and even did it normally is only run at around 60-70%
- the sun, humidity, temperature and salinity for the boat are fairly low compared to other areas
- the dodger and bimini get are exposed 1/2 the year and they show wear for this as expected

So when we talk about a boats age what does that really mean? Is it actual age from when it was built, number of years it has been sailed, is there a factor to adjust for location, do passage age a boat more that day sailing, does night sailing count much to sail life if the use conditions are light?

I think a case could be made that based on the number days used most of my boat is only about 1 year old.

How old do you think your boat really is?
Old 16-04-2014, 10:00   #2

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Boat years age

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wonder how old my boat really is. In actual years it is a 2001 model so it is 13 years old. But in Boat years I wonder if this really means anything. Consider that:

- in lives in the NE USA and is dry stored for 6 months/year
- it mostly is only sailed on the weekends plus a week and some odd day sails, so only gets sailed lets say on average 70 days/year
- most sail days are only 6-10 hours, so that only works out to around 420-700 hours (17.5-29 days)
- the boat isn't normally sailed in bad conditions and since we are conservative sailors we don't push the boat hard and it isn't unusual for us to be reefed when no one else is
- the sails are only exposed to the sun the same 420-700 hours/yr (the sail cover is a lot more worn looking than the sails)
- the standing rigging for the most part are just holding up the mast and that isn't aging it much
- the boat systems aren't being used all that much. The biggest system being used is the refrigerator as I leave that on all the time now and keep the batteries charged with solar
- the wiring connections of course are always exposed to everyday use and that is why those are the biggest maintenance related things that go bad
- the engine gets around 75 hours run time a year and even did it normally is only run at around 60-70%
- the sun, humidity, temperature and salinity for the boat are fairly low compared to other areas
- the dodger and bimini get are exposed 1/2 the year and they show wear for this as expected

So when we talk about a boats age what does that really mean? Is it actual age from when it was built, number of years it has been sailed, is there a factor to adjust for location, do passage age a boat more that day sailing, does night sailing count much to sail life if the use conditions are light?

I think a case could be made that based on the number days used most of my boat is only about 1 year old.

How old do you think your boat really is?
Well no offense meant (which of course means lots of offensive material coming) but the fact you don't say what your boat is means it's a Hunter. Like every other Hunter the owners say "a Sailboat" or "a sloop" or don't write anything in the Bio. That being said, I like Hunters. They know what sells and what the future if sailboating looks like. They have the balls to try something different.
So I'd say your boat is about 13 years old, give or take. But I'm wrong 84.6% of the time. So take it as you will.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:17   #3

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
...but the fact you don't say what your boat is means it's a Hunter. Like every other Hunter the owners say "a Sailboat" or "a sloop" or don't write anything in the Bio.
goat, that goes for O'Days also.

Sailboat:Sailing Dinghy
SAILBOAT 25'
28 Foot Sailboat and Gooseneck Trailer
Sail Boat in the water, ready to go!!
Sailboat, NICE!

O'Day is not in the title but is mentioned in the ad.
Old 16-04-2014, 10:22   #4
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Well no offense meant (which of course means lots of offensive material coming) but the fact you don't say what your boat is means it's a Hunter. ...................... So take it as you will.

Since your post is nothing but something throw out to be insulting it is taken as offensive just as you wished.
Old 16-04-2014, 10:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Boat Years Age

Mine was built in 1987, so I'd say it's 27 yrs old, even though the engine had only 484 hours on it, and the interior looks like new, even the original fabric looks almost new.
But years have their effect too, rubber seals, wiring insulation, corrosion happens on a time basis as much as anything else.
I think what your saying is you have a well maintained / lightly used 13 yr old boat as opposed to a poorly maintained / abused 13 yr old boat?
You can slow aging I've been told even though today I feel older than I am, but you can't arrest it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:28   #6

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

Boats aren't like dogs...1 year is 1 year..

After 20 years, my wife is still 39...and always will be.....not true of boats.
mikeguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:28   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The last 9' of our boat is now 15yrs younger than the first 32', so do we average that into the boat age so it is now 11.7yrs old instead of 15?

Not to mention the rigging and sails are all newer, the dodger is new, the canvas and upholstery is new, etc.

I don't think you get a "newer" boat when you go through repair/update/maintenance cycles. If your boat is used less, you just have a bit longer cycle time.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:36   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If your boat is used less, you just have a bit longer cycle time.

Mark
Isn't a longer cycle time a younger boat far as wear and tear? What you prefer to have, a 5 year old boat sailed hard every day or a 10 year boat used lightly 100 days/yr?

The point of the thread is things that impact a boats life (age).
Old 16-04-2014, 10:40   #9
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Isn't a longer cycle time a younger boat far as wear and tear? What you prefer to have, a 5 year old boat sailed hard every day or a 10 year boat used lightly 100 days/yr?

The point of the thread is things that impact a boats life (age).
That depends really, on what were talking about installed. Things rot whether they are used or not.

How would you survey a boat if you were looking for a used one today? What is your checklist?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Hmmm............ My boat was built in 1973 and it's never had a season out of the water. It's been navigated by sextant, dead reckoning, RDF, Loran C, and now with the aid of GPS. It has 6,559 hours on it's second engine, it's 4th set of standing rigging and sails from four different sailmakers. I'm the third owner and I've had it for 29 years mostly in the Florida sun. Five people have lived aboard my boat for an accumulated 100 years. My best day for speed was 190 miles mostly on Interstate 10 averaging 55mph. So, I'm figuring my boat is about 41 years old and probably in better shape than if it had been left unattended.
Old 16-04-2014, 10:45   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post

How would you survey a boat if you were looking for a used one today? What is your checklist?
I would look for 1 in good condition! That probably will equal a boat that has been lightly used over one that has been used hard or an older boat that has barely ever been used. What would you look for?
Old 16-04-2014, 10:49   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
IWhat you prefer to have, a 5 year old boat sailed hard every day or a 10 year boat used lightly 100 days/yr?
Our boat (and us) have gone from 10yr used lightly to 5yr used every day and we much prefer the latter! Both us and our boat seem to be in better shape now. Maybe the polish isn't kept as nice, but the systems get more regular inspection and maintenance than they used to.

But yes, only being driven by a little old lady to church on sunday will overall be a boat in better shape - assuming all maintenance is up to date.

I'm not calling you a little old lady, btw!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:55   #13

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

It doesn't matter how long it has been since the boat was first splashed, what matters is who owned her and how often did she receive regular and timely maintenance?
I purchased a 54 foot DeFever built in Japan in 1974. I was the third owner after two open checkbook PO's. There was hardly a thing aboard that wasn't in good nick and I know boats! Sure, the electronics were dated, carpet needed replacing and other cosmetic stuff but the twin CAT D330's were impeccably cared for equipped with luberfiner oil filters, recently painted, and all systems working well. The hull withstood a rigorous survey by an experienced surveyor and brightwork positively glowed everywhere. You could eat out of the bilges... a clear sign of pride of ownership and attention to detail. In years, she was an older boat but the care and coddling she had received over the years were evident. We lived aboard for over 6 years, cruised her from Alaska to Mexico and back to San Diego and kept her in as good if not better shape than when she was built. Art DeFever, who came to look at her said she looked better than when she came down the ways in Japan.
You can tell if a boat has been let go, abused or missed the regular maintenance she needs... many books have been written on the subject.
My advice is buy a sound platform, research the care she has received and check her out thoroughly for signs of misuse, neglect or maintenance issues... then you can't go wrong! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 11:14   #14

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Panope's hull and deck were welded up in 1976 - so she is 38 years old.

But she spent the first 6 years in my family's driveway and launched in 1982 - so maybe only 32 years old.

However, the boat was moved out of the water in the year 2000 for modification/refit - I guess that makes her 18 years old.

Then again, she was only cruised full time/live-aboard for a year - just a baby at 1 year old.

I have since replaced approximately 95% (not by weight - did not replace lead in keel) of the boats components. Launching in a couple weeks - heck, that makes her a brand new boat!

Final analysis: I have no idea how old the boat is.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 11:40   #15

A friend of mine said: "We use the boat so much so we know what we have to fix next!"

A unused boat will deteriorate faster than a used one.

Abuse will be evident.

Care, good care, will also show.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote