Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 13:56   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Boat Went up on the Beach Last Night

Anchoring threads get a bad rap on CF, but the damage from dragging anchor is far more likely to hurt a cruising boat than most other causes.

Even with an unset anchor, dragging in less than 20k average, is rare which makes this case look puzzling. (maybe a broken anchor swivel, or similar unusual case)

I hope they managed to recover the yacht with no further damage.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:02   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I hear references to "on the rocks" and "on the reef", but from the photo this looks like sand that, except for the potential of some hard pounding, might not have resulted in significant damage. So much importance comes with the action at the moment of grounding. It's always the odds in your favor that you are not grounding at that moment of high tide, but if you take any delay in fixing your position when you are first aground, then you will continue to move until you are at the dreaded point of being swamped and hard aground at the high tide mark. So often people dont see that the urgent need is to take an anchor directly offsore with the longest rode available from the bow (or stern depending on the boat's underwater design and the slope of the beach). I know there are the possibilities that the crew might not be physically able or the dinhy might not be capable or that the anchor and rode might not be available, but I've often seen people miss this opportunity to prevent themselves from ending upon the high tide mark. Over the decades that I've been liveaboard cruising I've only had this happen to me twice and never with significant waves on the lee shore that I was placed upon, but I did manage to keep myself in a position that allowed me off at the next high. I've no right to claim that there could have been something done in this case, but the awareness should be wide spread,- Don't keep moving further aground and end up at the top edge!
Old 08-04-2013, 14:05   #18

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I talked to him this afternoon. I had met him already, nice guy but not an experienced cruiser. He said that he had two anchors out, both with ten meters of chain and then rode. He left for a few hours and came home to his boat on the rocks and a swarm of dinghies trying to save it.
He said that these 4 months of cruising have been the best time of his life.
Old 08-04-2013, 14:09   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Went up on the Beach Last Night

Bumma... sympathies...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:12   #20

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I talked to him this afternoon. I had met him already, nice guy but not an experienced cruiser. He said that he had two anchors out, both with ten meters of chain and then rode. He left for a few hours and came home to his boat on the rocks and a swarm of dinghies trying to save it.
He said that these 4 months of cruising have been the best time of his life.
Were the anchors still attached to the boat? Seems very hard to believe any boat would have dragged in those conditions with any sort of anchoring gear. Big squall last night maybe?
Old 08-04-2013, 14:13   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
................. He left for a few hours and came home to his boat on the rocks...............
There it is again, "on the rocks". Is ther some other interpretation of "on the rocks" that doesn't require actual rocks? I'm a sorry for the troubles of the owner as others, but isn't this all a sandy beach. I'm not overlooking a disasterous situation; however, what's the call? Do other cruisers use the term "on the rocks" for any grounding?
Old 08-04-2013, 14:19   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Seems like Zeehag has been on about rope rodes in that area, and that they were not suitable due to the nature of the bottom. This sort of thing was going on when we were in Mexico years ago, and it looks like it is still prevalent.

As I (and so many others) keep saying: if you are going cruising, you should have a long enough bit of chain that you never have to rely upon rope to anchor. Never...

Good luck to this chap...

Jim
Old 08-04-2013, 14:19   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

UNfortunately, this boat did NOT drag anchor--rescuers found the ROPE RODE chafed thru..therefore no tackle.

most folks who do this rope rode thing are either brand spanking new or they have not enough money to purchase the chain and their ais unit--i would ditch the ais and go for the chain.... is safer.

why do folks continue to anchor in rocky places with rope rode--you WILL lose your boat.
mast i was advised was rotted and snapped in half. oops and ouch.

as i understand this is the THIRD boat to go to rocks due to ROPE RODE. in less than 2 months. in that anchorage. la cruz de huanacaxtle/bucerias. wow.

all had rope to chain and rope chafed thru. uhoh.

why cant you guys have all chain and keep your boats safer.....the bottoms here in mexico happen to be ROCKS--we sail on mountain tops of submerged mountains....this is not coral making sand--this is mountains making rocks and smaller rocks. be safe. use chain.

capt force--it is not just a sandy beach--there are many rocks on and in the area,most are under the surface of the water. there is a rock that is just under my keel in depth just outside the marina, and many rocks were dumped there when the marina was dredged so it could exist. mexico is very rocky coast. those rocks are also under your boat in nice sandy beach anchorages.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:28   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
UNfortunately, this boat did NOT drag anchor--rescuers found the ROPE RODE chafed thru..therefore no tackle.
That fits in better with "dragging" in 10-15k
Still its a shame I hope they recover without too much damage.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:31   #25

i hope the boat is repairable without too much money..there should be enough parts around fro it to be repaired ..is just prices there are high..
Old 08-04-2013, 14:33   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
.....the bottoms here in mexico happen to be ROCKS--we sail on mountain tops of submerged mountains....this is not coral making sand--this is mountains making rocks and smaller rocks. be safe. use chain.

capt force--it is not just a sandy beach--there are many rocks on and in the area,most are under the surface of the water. there is a rock that is just under my keel in depth just outside the marina, and many rocks were dumped there when the marina was dredged so it could exist. mexico is very rocky coast. those rocks are also under your boat in nice sandy beach anchorages.....
Thanks, Zee... I think I'm swayed by my East Coast experiences. I understood that the bottom at anchor would be rocky, but from the photos on the beach, all I see is sand and maybe a bit of gravel that would be easily pressed into the sand. I've been aground on mud, sand, and gravel without the risk of damage,- even purposefully grounding (careening) for my own botton job. Though I undersatnd the rocky depth. Are you saying that this beach with the sandy shore seen in the photos is strewn with unforgiving rock at the potential grounding positions? Advice please for the "mud and sand" sailor that just has to watch out for the coarl while in Florida!
Old 08-04-2013, 14:37   #27

capt force--yes. there are many rocks, and one punta named punta pelicano, with another rocky punta near that one--there are some gorgeous looking beaches in between the apparent rocks, but the bottom is littered until depth of 30 ft. i anchored in 20-25 an heard the rock noises on my chain nightly...and lost a bunch of galvo from my chain....
i spent 10 months in la cruz area--i loved it..summered in the marina last year, and anchored in the anchorage when not in marina

east coast is a different kind of animal than here. more coral...
Old 08-04-2013, 14:38   #28

Boat: grampian 26

I guess there should be a rule in Mexico: go all chain or go aground.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:40   #29

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I remember anchoring at Punta Mita years ago.
The beach is beautiful sand, and at about the ten foot depth it instantly turns to medium sized rocks with no sand at all.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 14:40   #30

perchance--is what i have been saying for a couple of years now--is your home your boat--your choice, but please use all chain in rocky bottoms, like mexico...i have seen and watched too many groundings due to rope chafing clear thru in very short order.