Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2022, 05:38   #1

Boat Ramp Questions!

Hi Guys and Gals!

I am doing a bit of research for a project and wanted to get some proper insight/feedback from real-life sailors and water users.

The question is about boat ramps - You are an owner of a trailer sailer, what information do you need to help you decide on a new boat ramp to try out, what are the 3 key bits of information needed to say, yeah... that's the one we are trying out this weekend?

Also what information, if missing from the search result, would have you looking elsewhere and make you not choose that particular ramp.

Thanks for any insight.
GPSChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 05:42   #2

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Re: Boat Ramp Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSChris View Post
Hi Guys and Gals!

I am doing a bit of research for a project and wanted to get some proper insight/feedback from real-life sailors and water users.

The question is about boat ramps - You are an owner of a trailer sailer, what information do you need to help you decide on a new boat ramp to try out, what are the 3 key bits of information needed to say, yeah... that's the one we are trying out this weekend?
Just depends if it's on water I want to sail on.

Also what information, if missing from the search result, would have you looking elsewhere and make you not choose that particular ramp.
Overhead obstacles.
Thanks for any insight.
Old 25-03-2022, 05:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post

Yeah, those are probably two things that would be on my list too!
Old 25-03-2022, 06:12   #4

Depth at the end of the ramp is also important, if your boat requires more than a few inches to float off the trailer.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 06:56   #5
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Who owns the ramp? Some are open to the public, some are privately owned. Some have fees and rules such as overnight parking. Most public ramps in PA do not allow overnight parking.

In addition to power lines at the ramp, low clearances between the ramp and the body of water. Bridges and low power lines sometimes occur.

Long difficult channels to get to the main body of water can be a pain if you don't have a motor of some sort.

Mostly I can eye ball a ramp and feel confident about the depth and condition, but if not, measure the depth (boat hook, long pole, or a nice wade in the water.)

How crowded is it? Some of the popular lakes have multiple ramps and some are more crowded than others. If it's a park ramp, ask at the office where the best ramp is. Once the park told me about a secret ramp hardly anyone used.

Of course a lot depends on your boat. One of my boats needs 4 feet of water, another just needs 6 inches.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 06:59   #6

Thanks for the replies, some great information coming through and stuff we hadn't thought about, thanks guys!
Old 25-03-2022, 07:50   #7

Boat: C&C 30 MkII

Another important consideration to take at ramps...prep your entire boat in a staging area away from the ramp. Nothing pisses people off more than waiting for a guy to put on his fenders, docklines, etc etc while he's blocking access to the ramp.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 04:05   #8

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumroll30 View Post
Another important consideration to take at ramps...prep your entire boat in a staging area away from the ramp. Nothing pisses people off more than waiting for a guy to put on his fenders, docklines, etc etc while he's blocking access to the ramp.
Yes, this is super important. Don't forget we have to put up the mast too, that can take up to an hour on some boats. If you blocked access to the ramp itself for that long you'd have a riot at some places.

Normally it's not hard to find a spot out of the way to do your thing, but definitely something to be aware of.

Old 26-03-2022, 05:01   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Key factors for me:
1. Depth at end of ramp. I need at least 6 feet of water at the trailer wheels to launch.
2. Number of ramps. I disconnect the trailer at the ramp, connect tow straps, and ease the trailer back farther with those. That all takes a lot of time and care. I don't want to be rushed, because I am holding up a line of other boaters.
3. Security of overnight parking. My favorite launch ramp started having problems with break-ins and theft over the weekend.
4. Ease of paying launch and parking fees. My favorite has a drop box on site. Others in the area require an application and payment sent to some office weeks in advance.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 05:31   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Entertainment value. Next port from us has a public launch and I love to tie to the outside dock and watch the show.

Do check the length and drop off so you don’t get the truck stuck. Also for a sailboat a big plus is multiple docks so you can get out of the way and rig.
Old 26-03-2022, 05:49   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Do it like this!
Old 26-03-2022, 05:53   #12

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think 4 wheel or all wheel drive is a must. Some ramps get really slick with algae.
Old 26-03-2022, 06:48   #13

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

• Depth at end of ramp compared to a reference/benchmark waterline
  • Current and projected water levels (river gauge, tidal projections, surface elevation for lakes)
  • Length of ramp from waterline to end of ramp
  • Presence of overhead obstructions that interfere with the mast e.g. trees, powerlines
  • Hours of use restrictions
  • Number of parking spaces
  • Any restrictions on parking e.g. no overnight parking, no cars without trailers, no camping, capacity controls
  • Fees including payment methods accepted (some are cash only drops and you have to bring an envelope for example)
  • Degree to which it is possible to maneuver longer trailers on the approach road, in the parking lot, and at the ramp itself
  • Typical use patterns e.g. is this the sort of ramp where the lot fills up by 9:00 a.m. on summer weekends; can there be a wait of an hour or more to use the ramp
  • Is there a dock to tie up or is it just a ramp
  • Are there restrooms either at the ramp or within walking distance
  • Are there restrictions or an unusual enforcement presence related to invasive species
  • Is the ramp in an area where aquatic vegetation growth is sufficient to foul the rudder and centerboard
After launching and landing our Hunter H26 a number of times decided it isn't worth it to have a trailer sailor because, among other reasons, of the uncertainties surrounding these matters. If you are at the ramp with a sailboat everyone is going to hate you because they are all in hell's own hurry to get their fishing boat launched or landed and anyone who requires more time than they do is an impediment. Depth at the end of the ramp is a major issue on ramps not specifically designed for larger boats unless the water is higher than the water level for which the ramp was originally designed. Few ramps have a truly suitable area to step the mast that is completely out of the way of other ramp users.

Most ramps follow standard state design guidelines which are the same among most states and which are insufficient for large sailboats.

The situation is much better for smaller sailboats but overhead clearance is still a problem and it is difficult to launch at busy ramps
Old 26-03-2022, 19:52   #14

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Hi Guys and Gals!

The question is about boat ramps .
Is there a dock beside the ramp.

Tags
boat, ramp