Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 13:36   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Boat Naming Tips?

And elaborate on what I had said earlier about a name should mean something, Harbinger is the name of my current boat because I intend to get a bigger better boat when the time is right the same as she was bigger and better than my last boat, which was Atropos, because everyone was convinced she was going to kill me....
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:09   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Names that sound like May Day might avoided.. I have actually seen a Pay Day...
A big power boat in a local marina is named Thanks Dad....nothing like telling it like it is...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 13:51   #18

Boat: Mirage 35

Agree with all of the above, but a memory reminds me that too short can be a problem on the radio, too. Once sailed on a boat that had a four-letter name (no, not that kind, it was actually the name of a small island in Brittany). When calling it phonetically on the radio I noticed that there was usually a long pause while the person on the other end waited for the rest ...
Old 07-08-2018, 14:47   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Shortest names I remember are Aka (means "reflection" iin Hawaiian) and Bob (like bobbing on choppy seas.)

Imo, our boat name, while it suits us, is too long, and too hard to rattle out phonetically for an emergency situation.

Ann
Old 07-08-2018, 14:50   #20

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Imo, our boat name ...

Ann
Oh, dear, I read this too quickly the first time and thought the boat's name was "Imo". Definitely not too long.
Old 07-08-2018, 14:56   #21

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

My sole suggestion is to make it personal. Draw a name from your past, for instance. Mine is of the area in which I grew up.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 15:48   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

Great question and topic -- I actually just finished scrubbing the hull (now drying) to put on our new name decal. We just got our paperwork back from the gov't with our name change.

We spent many many a long nights hashing out different names. Our criteria was similar to those above -- keep it short, easy to say/spell including non-English speakers, easy to say in NATO over the radio, and very very meaningful.

In fact, I think we probably overwhelm people a little bit when I start explaining the 3rd or 4th layer of meaning in the name. Maybe I'll post a picture after we get the new lettering applied.
Nariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 16:36   #23

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

We chose and wrote down a whole load of boat names drunk. Then over the next few days sober we crossed them out until we had just one.

This boat we both independently came up with the same name as our first and only preference, and it was available to my amazement so we took it.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 16:42   #24

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Oh come on, you've gotta like this one....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Name.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	175032  
Old 07-08-2018, 17:28   #25

I want to buy a 45' catamaran and really wanted to call it "WAR BEAR" because it would make for a cool, aggressive logo. But it's sort of a funny story behind the name because I have a small goldendoodle named "Warren" and his nickname since he was a puppy was "War Bear." And my dog will be on the boat too.

But maybe people will be turned off by a boat name with "War" in it. ? Or some may think it's only for people with a military background.
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 17:35   #26

I also thought of naming the catamaran "Window".... because it is obviously a sail boat ("wind") and a window itself is kind of a VIEW of whatever adventures you're going to experience... and then I'm also a stock trader so the "Dow" in the name is kind of related to me too.
Old 07-08-2018, 18:07   #27

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
I want to buy a 45' catamaran and really wanted to call it "WAR BEAR" because it would make for a cool, aggressive logo. But it's sort of a funny story behind the name because I have a small goldendoodle named "Warren" and his nickname since he was a puppy was "War Bear." And my dog will be on the boat too.

But maybe people will be turned off by a boat name with "War" in it. ? Or some may think it's only for people with a military background.
No vulgarity or offense intended, but screw 'em. It's your boat.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 18:32   #28

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Remember the other boat who is trying trying to call you on the VHF, can they read and pronounce your boat's name?
Well that rules out French names.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 19:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post

Sounds like a perfect name. You like it, it is personal, and fits all of the above criteria.

Military background or not is irrelevant. Go for it.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 20:11   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Sounds like a perfect name. You like it, it is personal, and fits all of the above criteria.

Military background or not is irrelevant. Go for it.
Thanks, RainDog! I always liked it (especially with the funny meaning behind it) and people could always visit the boat and meet the real "War Bear" who is basically like a big teddy bear and the farthest thing from something vicious or 'war' like. Hehe.

* I uploaded a photo of my dog and the logo concept for "War Bear" to my album. I always thought it would be cool to have that big bear head logo on a sail.

The other 'meaning' behind his "War Bear" nickname is that he's had some tough moments in life (as we all have) and it represents resiliency. He was attacked by 4 coyotes in California but fought them long enough for me to save him and get him to the hospital. He's completely healed now. So he's a tough little guy when he has to be; like most of us.

Tags
boat