Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2014, 19:55   #1

Boat deals

So I've been think about this. With all the boats on the market and a small market of buyer (buyers market) what is the best deal that you have got on a boat or heard of?

I also hear you can go get boats in Greece for insanely cheap for a really nice rig.

I've read about people getting a asking price boat of 520k for 250k and even better. I've also heard of people buying boats at with just like 10grand off after it being on the market for like 2 years.
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 20:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Boat deals

My nephew was living on a mastless Catalina 22 with no motor and he found the opportunity to purchase and move to a Sovereign 25 in good condition with excellent sails and sound outboard for $200. He had to move fifteen feet and pay the money! 'seems like a good deal to me!
Old 21-12-2014, 21:05   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

I know an english couple that buys a bargain boat in the states every fall, take it to the caribbean and uses it on and off there for the season, and their kids come and use it too, then they ship it to the UK in the summer and sell it for more than they paid for it and the shipping. There is some time frame thing that they need to do to get around tax, but I'm not sure what it is.

Good deals are everywhere, you just need to look diligently and know enough to sort out the wheat from the chaff.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 00:17   #4

When I was looking for my first boat, about 10 years ago, I came across a guy selling 35ft ChrisCraft Sailmaster in decent shape for $11K. I didn't know squat about boats back then and diddled around looking at it. The boat was for sale for a while so he dropped the asking price to $7K and I counteroffered him $4K subject to inspection, etc. He agreed. The inspection came out well except the boat being 1975 did not have a waste tank for either of its heads. I was talked out out of buying her by a fellow club member with supposedly more experinece in boats. He scared me into thinking that installng a proper waste tank or two would be a major expense. The seller ended up donating the boat after I chickened out. Only of course now I know that the boat was in great shape, very solid, all fiberglass, good engine and would have taken me a day's work to install that waste tank.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 10:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
When I was looking for my first boat, about 10 years ago, I came across a guy selling 35ft ChrisCraft Sailmaster in decent shape for $11K. I didn't know squat about boats back then and diddled around looking at it. The boat was for sale for a while so he dropped the asking price to $7K and I counteroffered him $4K subject to inspection, etc. He agreed. The inspection came out well except the boat being 1975 did not have a waste tank for either of its heads. I was talked out out of buying her by a fellow club member with supposedly more experinece in boats. He scared me into thinking that installng a proper waste tank or two would be a major expense. The seller ended up donating the boat after I chickened out. Only of course now I know that the boat was in great shape, very solid, all fiberglass, good engine and would have taken me a day's work to install that waste tank.
Might get me a little irritated at that fellow.
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 11:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Might get me a little irritated at that fellow.
Hey, I can't afford the "west marine" prices or rates. And I wish I found out earlier that boating is not as expensive as most people think. If one's willing to invest some time and effort. Of course I'd rather have enough income to afford full boat yard service but since I don't I have to improvise.

PS It basically boils down to that classic economic dilemma - time vs money. And if you don't have both you have to chose which one to give up.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 14:50   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Getting a good deal on a Boat is like getting a good deal on Oats...
If you want Bright, Clean, Good Quality Oats, you have to spend a Major Amount of Money.
But,
If You Can Wait Until They Come Out The Backside of The Horse, You Can Get Them A Whole Bunch Cheeper..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 19:03   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Ah, but then there are the oats that were left in the bottom of the feed bag. They may be few, but with the the right preparation they are as good as any first taste.
Old 22-12-2014, 19:24   #9

Like Randy I don't think you buy anything that is high quality and recently refitted for dimes on the dollar. Yup, for sure there are tons of boats for sale but there are also tons of dogs. Even in this market it is still hard to find a really nice used boat.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 20:06   #10

Boat: Liberty 458

Super deals are rare and tend to sell quietly. You wont find them on the web.

We found good boats, in the US, tend to sell for about 15% below asking price.

We looked at 125 yachts on the west coast and gulf coast from Corpus Christi to Bradenton Georgia during an 80 road trip in 2012/13.

Overpriced or junk boats rarely sell.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 13:51   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I certainly agree that the good boats at favorable prices are a small percentage of the market, but I would think any serious buyer would expect to take the time to search out a couple dozen prospects from the hundreds and inspect them closely. I've helped find some boats for friends and family recently and I would not discount online sources. Many have success by searching for vessels with a short list of non-negotiable criteria. It's best to include some vessels that are 15-20% above your target price as they often end up selling for less than listed.
Old 23-12-2014, 14:53   #12

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

There are boats out there I agree, and many times you have to do a little walking and working throught everything to find them..
A good example,
For a number of years an older gentelman had lived on a Westsail 32 here in the marina where I am now. I remember him from years ago befor we started cruising..
We just returned this past summer to do a little work on our boat befor heading out again and I noticed the boat is still setting at the far end of the marina.
I asked the secretary at the harbormastors office on what the story was on the boat.. seems the old guy couldnt get around anymore and his family came out and took him off the boat.. she said it now belongs to the harbormastor..
And I know him, hes a fisherman and not a sailor..
So here is a Westsail and the mast has never been installed, even thou its there, and it could probably be picked up for a song.. probably a great project boat, but I'm headed for Mexico and dont need another project..
For someone, it could be a great find......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 15:35   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

this boat i am currently cruising, my formsoa 41 actually cost me 5000 usd, as that is all my ericson brought to the po of this formosa.. whoot. and i have been out cruising it until ka lunk happened--and will be again this year.... each and every boat breaks no matter if new or old, clean or a lil off... no boat is a ever perfect, unless it sits at a dock all the time.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote