Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2019, 14:29   #1

Boat babysitter?

Hi everyone, first post here. I will be buying a cat this fall and living/cruising on it mainly in Caribbean waters for the next few years before venturing further. I have what I believe is a unique situation. I work in the entertainment business and all of my work is travel. It is sporadic, 5-6 weeks away on travel, 5-6 weeks at home (boat) not always the same amounts of time, but you get the general idea.

My question is if I leave my boat for 5 weeks, its not long enough to make all the preparations and put it on the hard, and too long to leave in the water without a trusted person checking on her a few times a week. If I were always going to be in the same place, I know I could find someone I could count on. But not sure how trusting I would be of a different stranger watching things every time I leave. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else have a similar situation?

I would assume the nicer marinas would be able to provide that service. Just curious what others do and what it might cost to have things looked after.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Old 13-04-2019, 18:05   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Re: Boat babysitter?

A good Dock Master should have your key and will take care of your boat; additionally, I give a key to a slip mate friend and they also look after things. Perhaps the greatest thing about sailing is the way we look after one another, at least it's been that way for me.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 18:37   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Also as you spend time getting to know the people living around there, there are always "professional caretaker" types around, just ask around as to which are responsible.

I knew people lived for years that way on Tortola, barter maintenance work in exchange
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 03:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 07:31   #5

Thanks all! I’m sure as a newbie to this forum I will be asking many dumb questions. But if you don’t ask, you don’t learn.
The only thing that has kept me from the cruising life so far is the logistics of keeping my boat safe when I am away at work. Other than that I have no barriers. My job doesn’t care where I live as long as I can get to an airport with 2-3 weeks notice. Seems like a very reasonable time frame to do it. And as long as I can keep working a few months a year, the finances are easy. I just want to be completely informed on every subject before making the jump. As with anything boat related, once you know everything, you realize you know nothing!
Old 14-04-2019, 07:37   #6

Ask at the marina, and get someone other people use as well.

Worth paying someone to do this. Otherwise, you'll be missing bits when you return.

Ask me how I know...
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 08:12   #7

WindwardPrincess.... do tell! I’d rather hear some horror stories than everyone tell me it’s all rainbows and glitter out there. Haha.

Tags
boat