Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 14:53   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Blow Hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I find the blow hards more easy to find on the forums... and they all change when they actually buy a boat! LOL

Mark
We had a big blowhard here on the forum that had bought an HC 38 who had an opinion on every topic, usually opposite to the world. I actually ended up 2 boats away from him in La Paz, later on and nothing had changed.
Currents were strong in Marina De La Paz and often times people came to help with lines of a vessel docking for the first time there. Whether it was the person driving the boat or one of the line handlers receiving lines from a vessel. This blowhard always had something negative to say. He would berate anyone that he came in contact with.
Turns out his GF had bought the boat as he didn't have 2 cents to rub together (she told me this after a few drinks). She had enough at the end of the season and the boat was going up for sale. Go figure.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 09:26   #17

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

I do, but I ain't sayin' nuttin'.....nuff said already !

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 09:46   #18

Our group of Catalina 34 sailors here has a nice, very nice group of racers, guys who ONLY sail their boats to race, while many of us both cruise and race. Accordingly, we have a separate cruising and racing division in our one-design races in order to be fair and to encourage more folks to race (although we have enough boats to warrant our own starts in mixed division races, so there are no "cruising" division in those races, and I had previously sailed in the racing division and did very, very well for a few years).

The racers are truly Corinthians, and don't bother with protests. They have managed the PHRF handicaps, and by agreement with all skippers have really evened the playing field over the years so that all the racing division boats have the same gear and now have the same handicap ratings. We "cruisers" simply don't.

A few years ago a new skipper joined this 25 year old group. At a meeting last year, he imperiously said: "How come no more boats switch from the cruising division to the racing division? We should eliminate the cruising division and make everyone sail in the racing division."

After all, all they need to do is buy new sails, new folding props, new outside jib fairlead tracks, new adjustable jib fairlead car systems and new whisker poles.

When I asked him whether he would be willing to finance the changes I would need to make to my boat to even begin to consider doing so, he became silent.

He's the only guy who gets close to protesting. He is not well liked. When he wins, it's because he's a great skipper. When he loses, it's all somebody else's fault. With apologies to anyone here who may be offended, he also has one of those tricky three word last names! He's a true jerk, who, unfortunately, keeps showing up!!!

He completely misses the point.

Some people want everyone to be just like them. Boy, the world would be a much sorrier place if that were so.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 10:42   #19

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Scoobert's still blowing hard over on SN as Union Pacific.

I presume this means Sail Net, which I contribute to, (if that’s what it might be called).
When he started in CF I was very amused but I never chipped it—I daren’t!
I can’t find him on SN. Has he become any more sanguine, or god help us, a better sailor?
Old 25-10-2015, 10:59   #20

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Scoobert's still blowing hard over on SN as Union Pacific.

I presume this means Sail Net, which I contribute to, (if that’s what it might be called).
When he started in CF I was very amused but I never chipped it—I daren’t!
I can’t find him on SN. Has he become any more sanguine, or god help us, a better sailor?
As Mark mentioned, he's getting better. Still, asks questions then argues until someone agrees with him.
You can start following him here;
Our first good video - SailNet Community
Don't forget to donate!

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 11:19   #21

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
As Mark mentioned, he's getting better. Still, asks questions then argues until someone agrees with him.
You can start following him here;
Our first good video - SailNet Community
Don't forget to donate!

goat
I observe this same phenomenon a lot here on this forum as well. It's usually a wannabe, no sailing experience, no boat, that will come on with a grand plan, laid out in every misguided detail. They ask, in a rather rhetorical manner, I presume, "is this a great plan?" Then when experienced members try to help guide them to some better thought out
options they proceed to argue every single point. Usually after awhile, if they don't get someone to see things their way and congratulate them on inventing the new wheel (or the sail) they disappear and we don't hear from them again.
Old 25-10-2015, 11:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
As Mark mentioned, he's getting better. Still, asks questions then argues until someone agrees with him...........................
Here's his most recent "dialog"

AGM or FLA start battery - SailNet Community

Gee, after having his boat for so long now, and knowing everything, you'd think he'd know basic batteries 101 by now.

But, nooooooooooooooooo

He's always good for a laugh, though.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 11:50   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I could take on a luscious girl "crew" ( ) but she would have to be comatose to put up with my ****
I always like to agree with people regarding insightful comments....

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 11:55   #24

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Here's his most recent "dialog"

Oh Jees! I don't think I'll bother.
Old 25-10-2015, 17:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
I observe this same phenomenon a lot here on this forum as well. It's usually a wannabe, no sailing experience, no boat, that will come on with a grand plan, laid out in every misguided detail. They ask, in a rather rhetorical manner, I presume, "is this a great plan?" Then when experienced members try to help guide them to some better thought out
options they proceed to argue every single point. Usually after awhile, if they don't get someone to see things their way and congratulate them on inventing the new wheel (or the sail) they disappear and we don't hear from them again.
Yup...just had one of those on another thread here. "I want to sell my half built Cat, so I can buy a box truck, travel the country looking for beautiful women before I'm too old". He ended up with endless suggestions from CF Internet Shrinks only to have him go full circle and keep the Cat and sail the world. I'm amazed the amount of people that buy into this stuff!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 25-10-2015, 17:53   #26

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

When I'm bored with someone who won't stop talking, I stare off into space and/or excuse myself.
Old 25-10-2015, 17:58   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

With my tongue planted firmly in cheek...(mine not yours..)

This is a bit of a whiny thread!

Sailors should intuitively know that anything to do with "blow" creates either energy, enjoyment and most importantly.... introspection.

I welcome all kinds on board this Forum.....the monk, the monkey, the Trumps, the dyslexic captain Bligh, or the mouse offering cheesy bait to stir the nautical gnomes into judgement.

It's supposed to be fun!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 18:26   #28

Boat: Custom 55

Our blowhards generally come down the dock and tell us that our boat is totally unsuitable for just the two of us.

Them: 'How many people does it take to sail your boat?'
Us: Just us two, but really only one since we go watch and watch most of the time"
Them: Well, that's fine for daysails, but you could never handle this boat offshore"
Us: " Um, well, we've just doublehanded from California via Panama, and are now in Maine on our way down from Newfoundland"

Then we typically find out they're just beginning to cruise and have never sailed more than 50 miles from home. It happens quite often in our travels. Sort of reminds me of an internet forum I've heard of....
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 19:42   #29

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
When I'm bored with someone who won't stop talking, I stare off into space and/or excuse myself.
I stare them right in the face and give them the Forest Whitaker eye, as in;

goat (apologies to my low bandwidth brethren)
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 21:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post

Then we typically find out they're just beginning to cruise and have never sailed more than 50 miles from home. It happens quite often in our travels. Sort of reminds me of an internet forum I've heard of....
Yep...you'll notice a few here do not list a boat with their Avatar or it says "looking for my next" and always have a tall opinion on how to.