Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2017, 10:25   #1

Boat: Comar, Comet 860, 28
BIG challenge with retrofitting a new Bilge Pump

So I'm restoring/repowering a 28 foot sloop -- I'm actually enjoying it as I knew nothing before I started. Now I know more, but I'm on steep learning curve. The boat is Italian made.. built in 1983. She sits in a deep water slip everyday. Here's my problem.... I'd like to put in an automatic bilge pump with a float switch, currently I only have a manual bilge pump. The problem is every bilge pump I look at has the fitting on the side .. because the bilge is small, the fitting has to come straight up off the pump, not off the side. Hate to have all my hard work wind up at the bottom of the river. Any ideas are most appreciated.

Comet 860
Comet 860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 04:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: BIG challenge with retrofitting a new Bilge Pump

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Comet.

? ➥ http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/veh...FQkIaQod3DMP7A

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 05:40   #3

Boat: Privilege 435

You might want to consider a diaphragm pump like the Whale Gulper 220. Most bilge pumps are centrifugal pumps and they need to be immersed in order to work. A diaphragm pump is self priming, meaning that they can suck water up a hose before pumping it overboard, however they don't pump as much water as a centrifugal pump so don't rely on them for emergency pumping situations.

I would use it with an electronic switch like the Atwood S3. The switch will keep the pump running for a minute after the water level has dropped below the sensors thus clearing your bilge completely.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:38   #4

hey thanks for the lead .... appreciate that. Comet 860
Old 30-05-2017, 09:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
You might want to consider a diaphragm pump like the Whale Gulper 220. Most bilge pumps are centrifugal pumps and they need to be immersed in order to work. A diaphragm pump is self priming, meaning that they can suck water up a hose before pumping it overboard, however they don't pump as much water as a centrifugal pump so don't rely on them for emergency pumping situations.

I would use it with an electronic switch like the Atwood S3. The switch will keep the pump running for a minute after the water level has dropped below the sensors thus clearing your bilge completely.
many thanks for the ideas .. good stuff. Not really a "forum" person, but like CF so far ...thanks again . Comet 860

Tags
bilge, bilge pump