Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 13:27   #16

Re: Bench testing 4-108m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Grounding! The motors on the bench on wood blocks. Other then the battery grounding their is no motor ground. I'll try that first tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

Dirk
The battery ground to the motor should be enough. Is it grounded at the starter bolt? If not, you might try that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 14:02   #17

Is 12.2 volts a little low?
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 14:20   #18

Yeah a bit. Should start the engine though, but maybe with a new tight engine it's low.

Old 29-10-2016, 14:31   #19

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Interesting, what should a 12v battery actually have volt wise. Was under the impression a 12 v battery shows charged when it registers at 12 v. Please educate me.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 14:42   #20

Just got off the phone with one of my friends who actually pulled the motor out of the boat. He recalls another wire that he thought critical. He's calling another mechanic for possible clarification.

These guys run a fantastic Sea Scout outfit, and have several old navy and CG Captains gigs, with 4-108m motors in them. Their down in the Delta, even have a 98 or 100 ft retired CG cutter or tender.

Well get it figured out. And thank,you all for you input.

Dirk
Old 29-10-2016, 15:10   #21

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warby12 View Post
Is 12.2 volts a little low?
My thought too. Particularly with a rebuilt engine.

I've done more car engine rebuilds than I can remember and a few of them we started by towing the rebuilt engine car behind another car because the starter just could not handle the stiffness. Often it could turn the engine, but just not fast enough.

I'd be looking for around 12.7 volts on the battery when it is rested, depending on battery chemistry. Also, have you checked the starter motor for markings that indicate voltage? Most I can think of have their specs stamped into the casing somewhere. Of course the stampings get filled with paint pretty easily so they may be obscured.

Matt
Old 29-10-2016, 15:23   #22

Quote:
Interesting, what should a 12v battery actually have volt wise. Was under the impression a 12 v battery shows charged when it registers at 12 v. Please educate me.

Dirk
a good 12v battery after sitting several hours after charging should be maybe 12.45 or so. They often charge at 14.3 or so.

Old 29-10-2016, 15:36   #23

Regarding starter marks, we've looked the starter over closely. No noted marks seen. I'll put the battery on a charger for an hour pre start attempt in the a.m.

I just sense, this is something simple. Haven't heard back from the guys who,pulled the motor.

I've had to do the tow thing on cars aswell. And old vintage motocross bikes, " another hobby of mine" .

Anybody got some cool old 70/75 motocross bikes?

Thanks again every suggestion helps.

Dirk
Old 29-10-2016, 17:05   #24

Well at this point jumper cables.... one on the engine block and on the starter big terminal. If it doesn't spin pull the starter. :>)

Old 29-10-2016, 19:51   #25

Awe were using very heavy jumper cables . I'm pretty certain I'm pulling the starter in the morning, for mechanical review.

I was reminded that we did get a spark when the cable touched both the starter post and the housing.

Dirk
Old 29-10-2016, 20:29   #26

Maybe put the the battery on a charger overnight before pulling things apart. 12.2 is charged but definitely at the low end. Might be a quick fix
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 21:22   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Are you actuating the bendix or are you just clipping the positive cable from the battery to the starter motor?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:55   #28

No joy. We have isolated the issue to the rebuilt starter. I pulled it this afternoon, and will take it back to the rebuilder. Frankly I no longer have faith in this unit. I think it prudent to replace this old unit with a new unit.

Regarding priming the diesel pump, based on everybody's input, I was concerned. Roughly 40/50 pumps on the lift pump primer device and were gtg. I had forgotten to use the rubber inserts on two of the female high pressure fuel lines. The motor, well the lime and fitting leaked like a sieve.

Replaced the runners and re PI,Ed. Maybe 10 minutes.

Taking this motor apart and putting it together myself has been a very very good opportunity to learn the systems. ,

I'm greatful I,didn't have to learn the motor in the middle of the ocean, with zero support..

Dirk
Old 30-10-2016, 14:00   #29

Quote:
No joy. We have isolated the issue to the rebuilt starter. I pulled it this afternoon, and will take it back to the rebuilder. Frankly I no longer have faith in this unit. I think it prudent to replace this old unit with a new unit.

Regarding priming the diesel pump, based on everybody's input, I was concerned. Roughly 40/50 pumps on the lift pump primer device and were gtg. I had forgotten to use the rubber inserts on two of the female high pressure fuel lines. The motor, well the lime and fitting leaked like a sieve.

Replaced the runners and re PI,Ed. Maybe 10 minutes.

Taking this motor apart and putting it together myself has been a very very good opportunity to learn the systems. ,

I'm greatful I,didn't have to learn the motor in the middle of the ocean, with zero support..

Dirk
Well, they are pretty simple starters. Probably some minor issue inside from assembly. The starter gear is centrifugal engagement right? (no solenoid pushing the gear into the flywheel)

Old 30-10-2016, 17:08   #30

The starter has two posts, and two other small posts with small nuts. While on the motor we've jumped to the key post" amd what we are thinking is a ground. We've tried different combinations.
Nothing.

We accidentally touched the jumper cable to the starter housing and got an electrical ark. So we are getting battery power to the posts, while the started is bolted to the engine.

I physically pulled the starter, we applied electrical power to the motor and get nothing.

This starter is the style that doesn't kick out to engage the fly wheel, but when power is introduced the starter retracts to,engage the fly wheel.

CS, I'm not understanding your meaning. This starter is simlar to an early 1950/60 ford starter, only it weights 20/30 pounds. Two posts, one on the rear side of the casing,,and one on the back rear. Plus two smaller posts with we think is a ground and the key solenoid.

No worries, back to the shop tomorrow.

In the mean time I've penned an email to TADiesel to determine if they have a new starter I can purchase.

Thanks guys.

Dirk

Also I walked out the back of the shop this afternoon, and I noticed a sail boat I'd not seen before as it was covered.

What is an E-35?, is that an Erikson

Thanks again for your input.

Dirk

Tags
enc