Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2021, 03:09   #1
cruiser

Australian coastal cruising

Maybe a tall ship?

This might be why.

Top of Australia is Tasmania. Chosen as a convict haven. To protect decent judged men and reform labour to build a city is impression I have.
Hells Gate
(Thanks for YouTube, I've never been there)
https://youtu.be/ku516KjG9r0

Square rig long keels would love that.
I'm guessing rainforest current outward might hold face high on entry. Square sails look like a tunable spinnaker, reduction of broaching. Plus from my limited use of helm, going to fast straighten up abit and apply physical flowing hull brakes or if talented on tuning sheets, spin dance like a ballerina. Lighten be as fast as a flatter plane but there's alot less helm too and an art of easier control; maybe.. I think so, just ain't winning races.

Tack out? With rivers runs plus rigs might be 2 clewy to be to tack full depending upon if taught to clew the leading edge or leach.
For all maybes, some might even clew head via modern rigs such as running back stay Bermuda rigs..?.
Thus tri going sailing with a modern spinnaker. More reachable balance, tack might stretch out as leading eye is clewed and allow a broad point. I'm off topic.

Melbourne was chosen as Australian capital. Why?
Probably the natural harbour.
Why not Sydney?
Closer to labour? Shallow harbour of quite some size? A reachable haven to harbour when fatigued after ocean passage?
Ability with room to set sails and hit Webb with speed outgoing. Weather never changed nor did tide. Reducing systems could be hit after rest. Once out to sea, or in harbour, vessel relatively safe. That Webb is the coastal part of sailing.

Ship wrecks along South coast. Visibility down here goes from 20 miles or so to about 300metres pretty quickly when a southern eye slips to be torqued by a large high. They (at least one of them) would have gone for a look believing they're near the heads and paid the price of getting slammed.

Sydney grew to a bigger city, nice harbour, modern shipping absent of sail.
Adelaide on a deep gulf. Isn't comfortable.
Perth, Brisbane with ocean and little hides.
Darwin down nearer equator moist and hot.

Coastal cruiser?
Maybe a tall ship?
I'm probably the same as you bruzs. Happy with within limits of whatever vessel rides with eyes.

I ain't two clewy nor two tack full. Just admiring how square rigs can shape their luffs to point true above broad. Higher truth than Spinnakers. But love how Spinnakers allow mast room for higher point efficiency sails and can stow when without requirement to balance a reach.

Enjoy learning,
Godspeed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-06-14-19-38-37-72.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	240323  
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 03:59   #2

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Australian coastal cruising

cruisen, i don't know what you are smoking, but save some for me , ok ?

cheers,
Old 14-06-2021, 07:37   #3
cruiser

LoL.

Here's hoping to civilization maintaining our major biological filtration system of our lovely planet Earth, aye..

I liked cruising, even if starboard tack, altering slight to gift mutual wide berth and just cruising along.
Unless Jono on nightwatch. Be asleep on tiller, vessel self maintaining compass, feel would awake. Then good ol' mate would heave sheet for the fun of it. LoL.

Safe journeys to you too sir; big rays and cannibalistic crabs below the chopper pad aye..
Seen with the Yellow Submarine

Cheers
Old 14-06-2021, 16:18   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

It's the lock downs that have done it.

Thank god he's not from Melbourne otherwise it would be completely incomprehensible.
Old 14-06-2021, 17:22   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, we've been in (and out) through Hell's Gate twice. It is, of course, only an opinion, but I think it was a darned hard entry for tall ships, especially with the shifting sand bars. Today, with auxiliary engines, and back and fore leads, it requires reasonable care.

Ann
Old 14-06-2021, 18:16   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Actually, we've been in (and out) through Hell's Gate twice. It is, of course, only an opinion, but I think it was a darned hard entry for tall ships, especially with the shifting sand bars. Today, with auxiliary engines, and back and fore leads, it requires reasonable care.

Ann
I believe you.

I was just jisting or knot..

That harbour entrance my goal. Because in past, if they needed Lee waters they'd need to get in.
Inside, if to rough, they'd hold pick of weather to depart.
Hence, regardless of skill, in my opinion, I'd rather stay inside Lee waters, learn art of lines, play around heads later to become familiar if intending ocean way, then having consciously monitored weather during them years of enjoying tunes, I'd have a slight advantage on how to look for entrance. Because like you mentioned, look below, shifting sand, current play of motion, etc.

In Adelaide, we loved it. Just gets lumpy in the semi protected waterway. But we had lots of lesser harbours and an half hour forecast throughout every day, night. Thus in middle of gulf, a 360 degree escape route. Simply lumpy sleeps somedays. Tall Ships wouldn't have had that comfort, draft restrictions.

Hence coastal cruising on them ol' square riggers back then would have been that point of view to sum Watt.
Entrance.

I've never been at Hells Gate. Glad others have.
The square rig does have more than 1 HUGE advantage if known how to sail and we all know our own vessels.
They have a square luff reaching sail (many of them). Hence we on jib,main assemblies are tackful. They are tack reaching, much more control in my humble opinion.

Our spinnakers are nice though. A lower tack, often just run. Could be because Guy Eye clew needs balance a broader tack along luff, but no where near as broad a luff to gain higher tack as a square rig. A much broader point of sail.
But I like spinnaker. I don't understand tension of square rig plus just look forward to a vessel, if with spinnaker equipment, a couple of poles and a broader torque on our luff. Eg. Makes life easier on sheet tension yet gets more Guy Eye tension. Ideal for cruising.

I can't remember how to sail at moment. Just remembering if boat returns in good shape, aye, crewed by sailors. If boat returns damaged, aye, crewed by sailors on a learning trip.
Shifty light weather probably to boring for some with reason of port delay or something. Yet might make heavy weather tuning much easier.
Old 14-06-2021, 18:39   #7
cruiser

With all due respect.
Many new to sailing might view a spinnaker as difficult to control.
It might be the power increase that's making quick decisions difficult. I know our vessel doubles sail area when kite is launched plus efficiency of pressure leaching from main etc more than doubles his (yeah I see that as weird, a boat with a bloke name) power. Hence although better balanced, throttle is on.

We usually just white sail reach on white sails that are reefed earlier to make urgency incase of unknown and remain safe underway. No rush here. Enjoying too friends.
Old 14-06-2021, 19:43   #8
cruiser

I'm just amazed.

Broad head square sails.
Able to tack luff high. Thus able to point and retain stability issues whilst reaching towards the source of airs energy.
We don't use them, extra control lines require extra hands.
Same reason we don't often launch spinnaker, extra lines get busy.
Otherwise, we'd probably reef main earlier and launch smaller kites to balance heel better.
Point head sail. Leading edge is controlled by Guy Eye and upper luff curves to head. Tack of luff is much lower and limited to view source from a broad keel dance.

Less lines suits us too like many of you. But that's a reason why those beasts of tall ships and modern ocean passage racers can power on with stability. They brace a leading edge.

Bon voyage to those about to embark. Happy in Lee waters here.
To embrace a leading edge, to learn how to use what you have.

Tags
Australia, cruising