Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 23:55   #16

Re: Assistance needed in Annapolis this Wed

I won't pretend that docking a sailboat is the same as a powerboat.That said, I live on the eastern shore , not that far from the baybridge.I could be there half-hour fortyfive minutes .If you find yourself alone and in need of help,even just for extra eyes and dock line help , I would gladly come and assist. Pm me and I'll give you my number.
Shehatesmyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:21   #17

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

My first attempt at docking my first cruising boat (50') and new to me was terrifying and it took several attempts. No bow thruster and a cross wind. As others have said there is no shame in seeing a potential disaster and coming around for another try.

Someone once told me if docking is not boring you are going too fast.

Here is a funny for you to: One of my slip mates was bringing in is his 50' Beneteau. I was sitting in my cockpit watching him dock. http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/.../popcorn.gifWe often watch other dock for entertain and education. He came in and made a perfect turn into the slip and lined it up. It did not even touch the piling on either side coming in. They whole time his wife is on the bow yelling and trying to wave him off. He starts putting out the lines on the dock and his wife comes back to the cockpit and says: "You are in the wrong slip."http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/smilies/banghead.gif I nearly spit out my beer.

So he backs out and starts over again. This time with his confidence shaken it take him 3 tries but he finally get her in the right slip without damage to his boat or anyone else. http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Some times you just have to roll with it. We can all laugh about this now.

Capt Ed
SV Serenity
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:35   #18

backing up from a good distance away will overcome any prop walk and help guide u into a slip
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:37   #19

Boat: Valiant 40

Tom ask them if they can put you in an outside slip. They have a lot of them and while they are prized by annual slip holders a few might be empty this time of year. Will be dramatically easier to get in and out of one as you have the whole creek to maneuver in. Just keep an eye out for boats coming and going to Jabin's down the creek.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:35   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If you prefer backing in- the trick to backing in, is to turn with your prop walk. In my case this means going well past my slip, so I can turn to port, and getting 1.5kts of stern way. This amount of speed ensures that the rudder "bites" and I can back in under full control.

Once the stern is between the first set of pilings and kind of straight, I put the transmission into forward to stop the sternway. That works every time in my 33. The real challenge is getting a line on a piling or cleat. In my regular slip my stern line is rigged that as I go by either piling I can grab it and place it on the stern cleat. The result is usually very smooth.

If you cannot turn with your prop walk then take a slightly tighter angle (almost hitting the inside piling?) and expect the prop walk to push you away from it.

Manage your speed by using reverse and neutral. DO NOT LET GO OF THE WHEEL!!! The rudder does not want to go backwards and will slam to one side or the other.

Biggest mistake is not getting enough sternway to get the rudder to bite. I generally go astern 60-70 feet past my slip. This ensures I have enough speed. I manage speed by taking her in and out of reverse to control speed.

Hope this makes sense. I use it regularly to dock boats up to 53' single-handed. Although the bigger boats have thrusters. I would offer to help, but I am in St Pete
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 13:39   #21

Boat: Alden 44

I started in the same situation. The best reference I have found for Sailboat docking is "Docking Techniques" by Tom Tursi, obtained from the Maryland School of Sailing and Seaman Ship, $15. Covers head in and stern in to slips, with different wind directions. If you can’t get it for Wednesday, get it for future reference. They are at Maryland School of Sailing; Chesapeake, Caribbean, Atlantic Ocean, Bermuda (they have some good video’s too) or (410) 639-7030. Their Weather book is also great.

Greg
GregW1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 15:01   #22

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

FWIW, our earlier boat with single-screw had a right-hand prop, so reverse tended to pull the stern slightly to port.

Docking stern-to in a slip to our port side of the fairway was (usually) relatively easy. Ignoring windage or current issues for the time being...

We approached the slip by favoring the port side of the fairway, usually at slower than idle speed (by taking it out of gear and coasting as necessary). Just before we began to come even with the slip, we'd turn the bow sharply to starboard and immediately begin a series of reverse-neutral-reverse-neutral (repeat as necessary) to kick the stern to port and into the slip. Sometimes we needed a slight bit of forward, intermittently, to correct, but mostly if I made the first turn at the right time, all it took was that series of reverse-neutral shifting.

Once the stern was inside the first (outermost) pair of piles, we were essentially docked, just a few minor details left.

-Chris
Old 03-04-2017, 15:49   #23

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Make sure you can get reverse before you let go of the ropes.
Saw a boat launched & let go & then found forward was OK but no reverse!!
Clicked in but revs just shot it further forward!! Ouch!
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 16:01   #24

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I live up the street from Port A and have kept a 50' sail there in the past. Very familiar with the area and marina. Be glad to help. Contact me vie ScrimshawIV@gmail.com.
Pete J.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 17:31   #25

Great advice from all responders. I want to echo and emphasize the need to abandon an attempt that is not going well. Better to motor out and have another go at it than to try forcing the boat into position with wild maneuvers that will get progressively worse.
Tony Tommasello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 17:57   #26

Boat: Moody 54

We are liveaboards in Back Creek. If you tell us when and where,
we might be able to help or at least offer a welcome package! 👍
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 18:55   #27

Boat: Bristol 31.1

Well, it's been a busy two days, between driving down from NY yesterday morning and getting everything squared away. But, I'm in the slip. Wifi working! As luck would have it, the boat was sitting in the launch bay when I arrived. The dockmaster came on board and was ready to help me get in the slip. Except they hadn't got around to dewinterizing and there was a huge trawler in the slings, which meant my boat had to move pronto. So, their mistake, their decision to put me in the slip with the tender. All's well that ends well! Had I needed to dock, the conditions were quite benign, so it may have been fairly manageable.

I'll read through the posts where I left off, after quickly glancing through a moment ago.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by everyone's kindness in offering advice and help. For someone new to the sailing community, it's very, very heartening to know that folks are so forthcoming and welcoming. My experiences over twenty years with another water-related community (that shall remain nameless!) have been strikingly different. And, I'll leave it at that.

Everyone I've met here in Annapolis couldn't be nicer! Prior to the boat acquisition, my only visit here was Easter 1967. Such a beautiful town.

I'm sure to have more questions as things progress. After daysailing J24s, but having no experience with a cruising boat, this is quite a leap. Not to mention a radical lifestyle change! I've had nothing but encouragement from both my closest friends and my dear wife of nearly forty years, who all want to see me fulfill this long-held desire. I've done quite a bit of "book learnin'", but know there's lots more to learn by doing. Over the last 24 hours, I've been learning by the minute! As for asking for help, I have no big ego or need to swing my you know what. Better to seek help than to do something regrettably stupid.

I'm spending the next week or so working on getting ready to go sailing. A sailing club buddy is coming down the week after next and staying for five days.

Once again, thanks to everyone who responded. Hope to encounter some CF folks along the way. Fair winds to all!
eastendsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:36   #28

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Good to hear all is well.

Enjoy!

-Chris

Tags
annapolis