Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 13:53   #1

Boat: Nightingale / 1981 Sloop / 29.5'
Are you Cruising for a Cause? Have you Volunteered while Cruising?

Hi there!
I'm hoping to put together a resource for cruisers who want to do some volunteering while they cruise (either close to home or at distant ports) and also have a central repository/clearing house for those that are "cruising for a cause" (e.g. raising awareness or money for a cause while at home or underway). Please share any information you can in the way of organizations, when you volunteered, for how long, if there is contact information (e.g., website, email, phone) and how best to be in touch with you. Hopefully this resource will be live in the next couple of months!

Many thanks for your help!
harmonysimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 14:06   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Are you cruising for a cause? Have you volunteered while cruising?

Harmony,
I am cruising for a cause: my own personal enlightenment and sanity in a rapidly changing world. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 07-03-2014, 13:40   #3

Boat: Nightingale / 1981 Sloop / 29.5'

Love it - there really is no better cause.
harmonysimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 14:50   #4

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonysimone View Post
Hi there!
I'm hoping to put together a resource for cruisers who want to do some volunteering while they cruise (either close to home or at distant ports) and also have a central repository/clearing house for those that are "cruising for a cause" (e.g. raising awareness or money for a cause while at home or underway). Please share any information you can in the way of organizations, when you volunteered, for how long, if there is contact information (e.g., website, email, phone) and how best to be in touch with you. Hopefully this resource will be live in the next couple of months!

Many thanks for your help!
I understand that this very lucrative write off. Many celebrities use this for years. If you have lot of income and not enough things to write off, this is a heaven. I have a feeling that it will take years for IRS to catch up to close this. Besides, it is so cool because their fans think they are the hero for a cause.

I am NOT an hero, I sail for my own pleasure. Occasionally, I take someone to sail and give away some food to the local that I can't use. I am not so high tech and no deduction at all.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 15:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Are you Cruising for a Cause? Have you Volunteered while Cruising?

There was a short time when I was helping an Altzheimers patient feed themselves, but I don't find that I'm able to contribute to a community service such as this when I am constantly changing locations while cruising. I've considered this lack of opportunity to contribute a detriment to my cruising lifestyle, but I don't see a solution to the problem. I'm interested, but skeptical.
Old 07-03-2014, 15:32   #6

Are you Cruising for a Cause? Have you Volunteered while Cruising?

My hubby and I have been talking about volunteering lately. Well actually it started cuz We need more to do then work on the boat, travel, eat out, etc. my solution was learn to play guitar or another language....but my husband started researching into volunteering.

We are very wary of the known religious entities. We considered health care as i am an RN But my specialty won't help much in Guatemala ( but if u need sedating I'm your gal!)

So I'm interested in what others have done. I'm the lets get there and see what's needed type but my hubby's a plan ahead kind of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 15:59   #7

It may be worthwhile choosing specific destinations and researching volunteer opportunities in those destinations in addition to asking here. I know I've read of cruisers helping clear invasive species in the South Pacific (?) and doing work at a bird sanctuary or collecting data on marine populations, I think I read somewhere Matt Rutherford is doing some research on the Pacific garbage patch?
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 17:00   #8

Boat: Dufour 310

Check out msm.org.au I recently went to Vanuatu with them. Excellent mob.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 17:22   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

I'm not cruising yet but seasonally sailing. Each year for the past three I've raised money and participated in the Leukemia Cup Regatta National Capital Area

With good results Watch this and try not to cry or have hope,

Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 17:24   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am always suspicious of anyone who visits a country with a "cause" in mind, or anyone who tries to promote it. Smells of sanctimonious BS by those who assume the locals can not resolve their own issues without a stranger's involvement.
Much better to visit with an open mind and open heart and assess whether you can make a small difference to a specific family you have befriended
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 17:46   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am always suspicious of anyone who visits a country with a "cause" in mind, or anyone who tries to promote it. Smells of sanctimonious BS by those who assume the locals can not resolve their own issues without a stranger's involvement.
Much better to visit with an open mind and open heart and assess whether you can make a small difference to a specific family you have befriended
Agree. But, donating school supplies, medical supplies, or helping set up fund raisers for local communities without political or religious influence attached would be a positive.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 17:47   #12

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:

I too am skeptical about many "charital" organizations. On the other hand I am a share the wealth kind of guy. In North Africa I walked around with pound notes in my shirt pocket and fruit in my pack. The kids ate the fruit and brought the money to whomever.

In Nigeria, I bought 100lbs of rice a week and gave out 1lb bags whenever I had beggars come up or officials looking for bribes.

In the US, buying something extra at the market or restaurant to hand to a stranger suits me better than tithing in a mega-church.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2014, 18:20   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One year a bunch of yachties transported boxes of school supplies donated by Kiwanis or Rotary in NZ, and took them to the outer island groups in Vanuatu. If you keep your ear to the ground, sometimes you can find something.

Others invest in medical supplies and donate them along the way at nurse's stations in the isolated areas. There are places who can use bandaids, triangle bandages, and on and on.

There's a hospital in Port Vila that could use window screens to keep out the malarial mosquitoes.

There are many opportunities, according to the wishes first of the inhabitants, and then one's own inclinations and pocketbook size.

Ann
Old 07-03-2014, 18:39   #14

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

There's a hospital in Port Vila that could use window screens to keep out the malarial mosquitoes.

Lite, easy to store, always a welcome gift..

Great idea. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2014, 04:30   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Good point here! I interpreted "volunteering" as without being an agent promoting some religion.

Tags
cruising