Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2022, 05:37   #1

Apology... no Tesla Sat Phone

I contacted Tesla and they have confirmed that the reports of a Tesla Sat phone are bogus. I became excited with the prospect of being able to have a Starlink smartphone that I could use for work from my sailing vessel. I unfortunately let my enthusiasm for this new communication method while sailing to cloud my better judgement. A fellow member on this forum suggested that I should not fall for click bait on the internet. I owe this person a big apology. I should not have so easily dismissed this comment. For that I am very sorry. The members words though did not fall on deaf ears. I reached out directly to Tesla to see if they were indeed working on a Starlink connected smartphone. Again I was so wishing this would be true for enhancing my boating experience. Well the reality is I was suckered in by absolute click bait. Tesla wrote to me with the following.
"Dear Chaya,
Unfortunately, we have to inform you Tesla Pi phone is not our product.
Additional information regarding our offer you can find on the Tesla website: https://tesla.info/en/

Kind regards,
Tesla"
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 15:33   #2

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: Apology... no Tesla Sat Phone

Thanks for the update.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 15:39   #3

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

The current Starlink antenna is a steerable array in order to get and transmit enough signal. It was hard to believe a short antenna stub on a phone as you described it originally could achieve the same performance - or even a minuscule portion of that pizza box antenna
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 16:18   #4

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I contacted Tesla and they have confirmed that the reports of a Tesla Sat phone are bogus. I became excited with the prospect...
Maybe not the word I would use to describe what I witnessed...

And let me reiterate what others said the other day - I did not comment at the time - even IF this were true, it would not/could not be an "apple killer". You should re-consider what it takes to really kill an entrenched company (with more than 1 successful product). Look at Microsoft, after everything, the decimation of the installed base on Windows PCs, the revolution of Unix on the server (Windows Server - does anyone actually use that anymore?) yet they are still here and making huge bank every year, from a wide variety of products.

Like MS, Apple isn't going anywhere, regardless of what phone may or may not exist in the future.

And anyway, if there was such a phone, wouldn't it be a "Starlink Phone"?
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 16:46   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

So to be clear Tesla will not be making Sat Phones Has absolutely nothing to do with Tesla. Neither does pay pal or Space X or Twitter. It’s a satellite internet system and any expert on the system sure would not talk about it in this forum.
Phone Tesla back ask them what Elon is up to. Or we can just make up stuff until it’s here. voip phone call on the internet on high speed satellite but it will never work cause it needs a 7 meter dish. Let’s do the math.
Where can I get batteries for my brick phone in the mean time. Analog rules!
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone