Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 09:32   #196

Boat: Camano 41
Re: Anyone not in lockdown and still able to sail?

I know from my other posts, the Port of Barra de Navidad, Jalisco has closed to recreational boating.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:51   #197

Boat: DownEaster 38

I see sail boats on the San Francisco Bay every day. Not many, but expect more this weekend. I think the rule relates to the number on board. Families are ok but parties are not. San Diego has stopped all pleasure boating. Norway does now allow pleasure boating
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:04   #198

Hi

Based in Dover, UK (it's the bit SE of London, very close to France), living in nearby Folkestone. Basically pretty grim as we are now only allowed out for shopping and medical reasons, (ie picking up prescriptions or doctor visits) and shopping. They've dropped the exercise allowance - probably because of some of the idiots here. BBQ's on the beach, street parties etc.

So many don't seem to understand that you can improve your chances of survival - yes survival if you have no contact with anyone. Simple idea really - make yourself useful, stay in. We're relying on deliveries for food and also piggy-backing on the generosity of neighbours. Also quarantening and our washing everything.

Can't really visit our boats under the current rules, still I've found parts of the garden that I didn't know existed. Also there was a strange lady sitting next to me on the sofa last night. Turned out to be the wife.

Stay safe
GarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:27   #199

You can sail in Sweden. No lock down. Great Arkipelag at both east and west coast.
/Reidar
Amerona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:54   #200

Boat: Summer Twins 25

I asked the Harbour Master if it was possible for me to service my swing mooring on the Low tides this week and here is the reply.

Thank you for your question as quoted below, I assume you are making this in reference to our Notice to Mariners 030/20? Below is a standard message that we are sending out to each enquiry, what it all essentially boils down to is, does your plan fall into necessary travel/activity?

In answer to your question, The NTM’s we issue are for information and guidance. With the lock down we saw recreational activity begin to increase on the waterway. This has lessened although we are still seeing some vessels making use of the waterway for recreational purposes, we have also seen the Police Marine Unit approach and talk to these vessels, and the vessels then head back ashore. The UK Government are encouraging people to stay at home and undertake activity close to home and travel only when necessary. As there are opportunities for daily exercise ashore the use of the waterway for activity/exercise could see people falling foul of the Emergency legislation in place restricting movement. Health Protection (coronavirus, Restrictions)(Wales) 2020. Similarly participating in water based activities has the potential to place the user at greater risk and those who may be required to recover/rescue them should an incident happen. With the decreased activity the risks to the user are also increased as there is less passing traffic should they get into difficulties. We had an example of this last week whereby two individuals went out fishing and their vessel broke down. They were unable to call for or attract help for some time and were finally noticed as evening and darkness rapidly approached.

The UK Government are encouraging people to STAY HOME. Regulation has been introduced which can be used to enforce this and we are seeing police forces issuing fines for unnecessary travel/activity. The NTM is to raise awareness to recreational users that as a port we do not consider water based recreational activities to be a necessary form of exercise during these uncertain times. The NTM is also intended to reiterate the current UK Guidance of stay at home and provide the recreational use with a link to the RYA guidance around the subject. Ultimately we would hope that it encourages potential recreational users to consider the risks of undertaking the water based activities to themselves and others and opt for alternative forms of exercise.

The RYA website text reads:-
Recreational boating in the UK
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 have now been enacted to bring in powers to enable the Government and its agencies to manage the Coronavirus crisis in the UK. The restrictions and requirements are the same for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Provision 6 (1) of the Regulations deal with restrictions on movements and state ‘during the period of emergency no one may leave the place where they live without reasonable excuse’. People should only travel if they have a reasonable excuse as listed in Provision 6 (2) of the Regulations.
The Prime Minister’s statement recognised that “it is very important for people’s mental and physical well-being that they should be able to go out and exercise if they possibly can” and the Regulations permit people to leave home ‘to take exercise either alone or with members of their household’. The Government has made it clear that this should only be taken locally to home and within the guidelines for social distancing.
The Government has advised that marinas should be closed in line with caravan parks. We have increasingly seen harbour authorities and navigation authorities introduce measures and guidance in respect of recreational boating. Please monitor the website of the organisation that manages the facilities where your boat is kept. Whatever your activity, there is the additional concern that if something goes wrong, however unlikely that may seem, there is the potential that you will put further and avoidable pressure on the emergency services. These are exceptional times and the RYA calls on all recreational boaters to act responsibly and adhere to the Government’s Regulations to help limit the spread of the virus.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:02   #201

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
I asked the Harbour Master if it was possible for me to service my swing mooring on the Low tides this week and here is the reply.
I would reply in writing and ask if the harbour master will assume financial responsibility for any damage to the boat if there is an issue with the mooring. I doubt it will change the answer, but at least it might assist you if you have to make an insurance claim.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:42   #202

New Zealand is locked down, boating activity is prohibited.
No surfing, no mountain biking, basically anything that can put you in harm’s way is not allowed.
gregfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:46   #203

Vancouver and BC cost sailing is on
Old 10-04-2020, 12:05   #204

Boat: Etap 38i 12m

We are in The Netherlands. We can go out sailing locally and return. But all facilities are closed, eg, toilet block etc
Gunnkinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:33   #205

Boat: Com-Pac SunCat 17

The State of Maryland presently has a ban on recreational boating. Kayaking, canoeing and paddleboarding are deemed as exercise and exempt from the ban.
With water temperatures in the low 50s F hopefully those going out will dress for the water temperature. Fishing for a family’s sustenance is also acceptable.
So, no sailing unless you can prove you’re fishing for food! Don’t forget to have a current fishing license.
Bertinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:53   #206

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertinc View Post
So, no sailing unless you can prove you’re fishing for food! Don’t forget to have a current fishing license.
Can you get a fishing license on line? If not, is the appropriate government office open so you can get one?
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 13:03   #207
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution

We are in the Marshall Islands. We came here via Tuvalu and Kiribati in January with plans to sail to Vanuatu in May , but obviously that is now on hold. We are just in the process of extending our visas.
We are still allowed to sail to the outer atolls of the RMI for now. I assume this will change if the virus arrives here, but for now , all is good. They have strict lockdown on their borders , so no new arrivals by sea or air, but those already here are free to move around , go shopping , do laundry , pretty much life as normal.
There are definitely worse places to be stuck 😊
Old 10-04-2020, 13:58   #208

Damn you're all a die-hard sailors.
Paul A Gagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 13:59   #209
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Crazy story about Columbia. They'd have been most welcome on Linton Panama. Also they can stop on Grand Cayman for a rest and fuel. Isla Mujeres is so open
I believe the Cayman Islands are “closed”.
Non-residents and tourists will not be permitted entry to the Cayman Islands and should not be boarded on incoming flights.
The Ministry of Health advises the public to follow the latest travel advice updates from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).
If you have a non-medical question and can't find the answer on this website, contact the National Emergency Operations Centre hotline on 1-800-534-6555 or email NEOC@gov.ky.
https://www.exploregov.ky/government-covid19-policies

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 14:22   #210

Boat: Outremer 49

We are in Whangarei Town Basin Marina, New Zealand, halfway through the country's 4 week lock-down. There has been some disagreement between authorities on the subject, but Maritime New Zealand has stated that "recreational boating" is not allowed. They do not want to be in a position to have to rescue anyone given reduced resources. The Hatea River opening bridge leading to downtown, has continued to operate on demand, but it is governed by the Port of Whangarei which maintains that it is illegal to close a navigable waterway. A few boats have chosen to anchor out down river but have been recently visited by the authorities & told either stay put, or if you move, move to a marina & stay put. The Marina is in lockdown & not accepting new arrivals. Almost all boaters here have chosen to remain
so the live aboards & cruisers who had been planning on sailing to the islands next month, have a pretty tight knit little community that isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
jleeglenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail