Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 08:17   #1

Any Cruisers in Marathon this June?

Myself, the little lady and our 9 yr old are making a trip to the keys for a week in June. We selected a canal home with close access to the city mooring field just to check things out before considering trailoring our san Juan 26 down next summer.

Bringing kayaks and a 15 ft day sailor.

The lady doesn't like crowds and is nervous about sailing anywhere outside our protected inland lake that we know so well.

Are there any cruisers in that area that would be interested in making some extra cash by taking a leisurely morning sail out towards a reef for a little snorking or perhaps you know a secret spot to see and photo some manatee?

If cash isnt your thing and you need some supplies that are cheap inland purchases but not cheap keys purchases just let me know...im an outdoor power equipment technician not a lawyer so the barter system is how i help support my sailing addiction.

We have been sailing for nearly a decade now....we would suck at racing but are well seasoned in reefing before the boat heels enough to spill your drink.

Anyway, just looking for someone to show us the area, get an idea of what ground tackle we need, dealing with tides and currents as well as charts. Stuff lake sailors dont deal with.
dohcdelsol93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:27   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Any Cruisers in Marathon this June?

Suggest you join this facebook group for updates on BKH. Asking your questions there will get response.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:42   #3

BKH? I havent used facebook since i got in trouble at family xmas dinner for not poking grandma.
dohcdelsol93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 15:30   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcdelsol93 View Post
BKH? I havent used facebook since i got in trouble at family xmas dinner for not poking grandma.

You will never get a seat at the cool kids table if you don't know what BKH means.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 17:29   #5

Boat: Cornado 25

It will be quiet(er) here in June after the winter cruisers move along. Usually someone is still promoting "Sail Away Sundays" which is just an excuse to get off the ball and go plonk around. Most everyone who participates is willing to take a few extras along...

Your 15' is perfect for cruising around the harbor, out Sister Creek, and even further on a nice day. Bring your handheld VHF with you and get on the Cruisers Net (channel 68, 0900 every day) to find out what is going on local. Nets only run around 15 min or so in the summer, but can go for over an hour in the season. The facebook page listed above is also a good info source. Myself, I am facebook-free but lots use it I guess... Course I still have a flip phone.

With the exception of a trip up to the Caloosahatchee River this summer for a haul out, I expect to be around the harbor for at least another year.
Give the Solitaire a call any morning after the net on 68 (I am your net controller on Wednesdays), or drop us a PM here as your trip gets closer.

Sorry to say that the manatees get harder to find as the water warms up and they move back into the shade of the mangroves. Winter brings them up into the grass flats, and the City Marina channel on a regular basis.

You will have a blast. (Bring bug spray for the mangrove trips)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boot-key.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	140578   Click image for larger version

Name:	channel-key2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	140579  

Old 03-02-2017, 08:00   #6

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

There are always cruisers in Marathon - less crowded in late Summer but still lots of people in June.

Sister's Creek has some excellent kayak trails - really good and lots of them. YOu can Kayak from the anchorage to the beach - no problem, nice beach.

Marathon is a town, two good food stores, lots of pharmacies, a West Marine, some outboard dealers and every possible provision within long walk, easy bicycle, or car.

There is a marine net each morning with lots of help.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser