Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2014, 06:34   #76

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Anchoring Debate in Florida Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverel View Post
But this guy is a gal.
And who knew Biker was a single mom?

I started out against the mooring field movement but I'm rethinking it. Not the reasons for it so much -- I'm against all infringements and especially allowing swells to buy waterfront property -- but mooring fields do make sense. Many "cruisers" like the convenience of mooring fields, I've read it right here on CF!

And those are quite often the same "cruisers" who don't know how to anchor in less-than-perfect weather, and would worry spitless anchored all by themselves in a quiet dark cove, and come on, one boat does not a beach pot luck make. And if you're waiting weeks for a weather window (I've read it right here!) then dang, proper "cruising" demands access to the movies and fern bars and coffee shops, no?

As TF points out the issues are primarily in the really popular spots, and they're popular because of the amenities that allow people to "cruise" safely, and conveniently; folks who don't know Hunter from Herreshoff, spit from Spinoza, Michelob Ultra drinkers who drive Subarus for the love.

And where's the harm? I druther know exactly where those "cruisers" are.

Yepper! I've had a Subaru. It was more like a love/hate relationship ... like marriage.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:49   #77

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: Anchoring Debate in Florida Continues

I don'[t think mooring fields are a bad thing- though I prefer solitude I would not be averse to them. What I am at odds with is the regulating to a point of running off boaters/ cruisers from public water ways that have been used for many decades. It is the closed in look out at the water but don't disturb my view people I have issue with. Just because they get offend we need to change things?- I don't think so! Offense is in the mind of the offended- they need to get over it and realize they are not special- no matter what their mommy told them.
btw- Blue Crab- no longer a single mom- just an old one now.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:16   #78

Boat: Soverel 30

I have gone to mooring for pumpouts before the pumpout boat started to come to me. One day...in and pump...out.....Sarasota has balls for boats to 100ft. And a nightly price to match that. It has always been an affluant part of florida. I do believe the city would be better served to also cater to the non rich and famous crowd. The amenities offered on the ball are nice from what I read. But seriously..
They have a pumpout boat..that could also service people anchored out without forcing someone to pay for all the extra amenities they may not want or need just to get a pumpout. Another analogy...on land...to be hooked up to sewer you also have to buy high speed internet...
Cable tv and a private limo to shuttle your drunk butt around town.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:34   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Crab,
While I go out of my way to avoid other boats and detest the crowd, there are quite a few people that live in boats, call them cruisers or not that need to be near the city / town so they can go to work, see the Doctor or whatever, they are there because they have to be, not because they want to be. I'm not on my boat, I'm at work because I have to be, not because I want to be

Biker,
I think you would be hard pressed to get a cruiser rally, if I understand them anyway, most I think are like Crab who wants to be left alone, in the dark cove and are people that love being out on the water, it's not a social phenomena.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:36   #80

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
SNIP

there are quite a few people

SNIP
Now you understand the problem.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:41   #81
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Where are the problem areas? No one has yet to mention an anchorage that is so crowded you have to anchor 15' from a homeowners dock. From my experience anchorages like this in Florida are few if any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Where are the problem areas? No one has yet to mention an anchorage that is so crowded you have to anchor 15' from a homeowners dock. From my experience anchorages like this in Florida are few if any.

There isn't any issue really, except a few wealthy land owners don't want us in "their backyard". Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I think it boils down to that, everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

But then I'm still trying to grasp what authority a local municipality or State even for that matter has over "navigable waters"

I don't think a municipality has any authority over federal land, do they?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:03   #83
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There isn't any issue really, except a few wealthy land owners don't want us in "their backyard". Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I think it boils down to that, everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

But then I'm still trying to grasp what authority a local municipality or State even for that matter has over "navigable waters"

I don't think a municipality has any authority over federal land, do they?

Exactly. There is no problem, just FWC trying to pass another law when they don't seem to have the ability to take care of the laws that are already in place.

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:08   #84

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by soverel View Post
But this guy is a gal.

Ok then, I'll include you in even better company. Sailorchic34 is my favorite "living on $1.50 a day" cruiser. You might want to follow her posts.

I once visited the Soverel factory in West Palm Beach, when I lived in south florida, although it was to see a racing boat. I have been on the 30 and liked it. More headroom and better interior for living aboard than most 30 footers, plus the centerboard for thin water cruising. There is currently a 30 hauled out at Seven Seas Marina near me for bottom work.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:30   #85

Boat: Soverel 30

I have a thirty footer and like it. I have seen some of sailorchics posts and i too live on a rediculously low budget and am more than satisfied. Any extra funds i get go into my boat . This past year new solar panel house battery bank upgrade more fans another outboard engine for boat and new electronics and vhf. None of that would be possible if i were forced to a ball. Next buy is another anchor or two for backup if i dont win the mantus. I wont hold my breath but I do feel good about my karma.

soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:52   #86

Boat: csy 37

I would like to recommend a "new gen" anchor and an all chain rode. After 35 years of anchoring in Florida/Bahamas, I have never had an anchor that digs in so quickly or holds so well as my Manson Supreme. I believe the others, like Mantus and Rocna, are equally good. I've had 3 years experience with this anchor and will never go back to anything else. And having all chain insures that no idiot on a powerboat can run across your anchor line and cut it.

I'm thinking that a 35lb manson and 120ft of 5/16 chain will hold your boat in anything short of a hurricane.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:13   #87

Does sailerchic have a blog? I did a google search but didn't find one- I'd like to follow her.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:37   #88

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Maybe we need a lobby group like the NCA (National Cruisers Association) that represents our interests in government policy the same way the NRA represents 2nd amendment supporters. Just be a member to put your name on any and all petitions related to guarding the rights of boaters in the free waterways.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:41   #89

Sounds like a plan Scot- I nominate you president of the NCA
Old 10-09-2014, 10:54   #90

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

I in turn nominate you...look at all the experience you have organizing just such a group.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida