Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 07:33   #76

Re: An outboard push a benetau 42?

I put an Evinrude longshaft 35 hp on my Columbia 34 (mk II) when the Palmer (gas) engine died and could not be resurrected. I rigged it to the existing throttle and shift controls on the pedestal which worked very well. However, as many have mentioned, the original outboard prop was too small, and shifting to the largest diameter that would fit provided poor thrust. It would eventually get up to an acceptable motoring speed, but reverse was very inefficient in slowing the boat. This was on lake Michigan, with steep, short waves and cavitation/ventilation was a real problem.

Also the reverse transom (which I had) made it very difficult to raise and lower the motor. I ended up rigging some blocks to the stern rail and the motor mount and was ultimately able to lift it and lower it without too much effort.

We really only used it to motor in and out of the harbor and it saved a sailing season. We repowered with a beta diesel over the next winter (at a cost significantly more than I had paid for the boat a few years before). So I guess I consider it a success overall.

As someone mentioned, canal traffic and currents might be rough, and this will not be easily addressed with the lack of thrust and "brakes". Maneuvering will be a challenge.
Old 26-07-2020, 07:42   #77

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Cruiser's Forums never disappoints.

I don't think the NYC system would allow you to traverse the Erie Canal's many locks with a dinghy powering the vessel using the hip tow method.

Even if all the lock operators allowed you to do this there are many times when you have to be flexible about which side you use inside the lock. One would need to call ahead and be sure to have the dinghy hip-tied to the correct side of your vessel for each lock. At busy times they often raft vessels double-deep and on both sides as is necessary. One would need to coordinate with the lock operators at each lock as you go along depending on how many other boats were there and waiting to go in.

A transom-mount outboard would be the way to go but you would definitely need to have reliable remote control cables and practice docking in tight spots on both sides. Wakes and waves will not be an issue except for on Lake Erie and Oneida Lake. Pick your weather windows there.

Hopefully you will not be single-handing. Handling the lines in the locks on a 42' sailboat will be a task in itself. With a mast on deck, and probably overhanging significantly fore and aft if it is keel-stepped, even the slightest misstep inside the lock may become quite the shipshow once the boat ends up crooked or you drop or miss a line. But the lock operators have seen it all and the locks are built tough. Your masthead crane, step base, shroud tangs, other delicate bits on the mast, and the general extrusion profile may not be so tough...

The current is extremely strong at Tonawanda where most people have their mast unstepped. Make sure have sufficient thrust to maneuver there. You don't want to get sucked down to Niagara Falls

I do agree a hip tow through the system would be a nightmare but the OP said unreliable, not utterly broken.

I guess the practicality rather depends on the definition of unreliable in this case. And why it’s unreliable as well.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 08:25   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We still haven’t heard what unreliable means.
The work cobbing up a stern mount would be huge, unless unreliable means seized or something your way better off fixing the diesel. Your going to have to do that anyway.

A non high thrust 30 hp outboard will just cavitate above 1/3 throttle or so anyway, so thrust will be very very limited.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 09:00   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

sometimes folks are hell bent on doing their thing, regardless of opinions or suggestions to the contrary, only the school of hard knocks will finally serve notice to re-think the matter....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 13:31   #80
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I do agree a hip tow through the system would be a nightmare but the OP said unreliable, not utterly broken.

I guess the practicality rather depends on the definition of unreliable in this case. And why it’s unreliable as well.
That is a good point. If it was just sorta unreliable and could be used most or much of the time, and the outboard was simply a plan B, then the outboard would make sense. Although problematic to rig on the reverse transom I can think of a few very ugly ideas using simple 2x4 construction and threaded rod that would do if one didn't mind filling holes in fiberglass later.

But another option would be to stern-tow with the dinghy, which may be acceptable to NYC employees if they understood it was a backup contingency. The lock operators and field management is very friendly, understanding, and helpful to those in need in our experience.

I know of some cruisers who stern-towed their 30-something foot sailboat with defunct Volvo-Penta 2003 transmission which was all neutrals because of stripped input splines all the way from central Florida to the Chesapeake -most of it up the ICW due to weather. I think they only had something like a 10HP outboard on their inflatable. They even made pretty respectable time on the trip, since they were able to motorsail the whole way which would not be an option in the NY canals due to needing to drop the mast
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 13:51   #81

The only rational voices in here are calling for fixing your inboard diesel. Save your money and get an overhaul or what ever it takes to make this remarkable motor running reliably again.
simer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 14:53   #82

You will have an obstruction hanging off your stern. You lose the ability to manuever espeacially at low speeds while docking etc. as the prop wash across your rudder is a good thing. STICK WITH THE PERKINS!
hottuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 15:04   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottuna View Post
You will have an obstruction hanging off your stern. You lose the ability to manuever espeacially at low speeds while docking etc. as the prop wash across your rudder is a good thing. STICK WITH THE PERKINS!
have you never maneuvered with an outboard? They are highly maneuverable in either fwd or reverse . By turning the motor you are directing the propwash
Old 26-07-2020, 15:12   #84

Boat: a sailing boat

A boat with an outboar will in fact be easier, not more difficult, to maneuver.

Provided the outboard is being steered too (just like it is in any power boat.)

If it is just hanging there with no ability to twist left and right, then a boat with an inbard will have an advantage (thanks to prop pushing water jet on the rudder).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 09:09   #85

Yes I have maneuvered with outboards on Jon Boats and Zodiacs. They work great. The Perkins and weight of the Perkins is calculated as ballast as well as the diesel tanks that serve the engines fueling requirements. All ballast and securely fasten to your vessel. (not gasoline)
It is very important to remember the Perkins alternator will help keep the beer cold if you have 12 volt refrigeration.
Most important item on the vessel is the AUTO PILOT. Need alternator for this.
Please let me know how that outboard worked for you?
Cheers Mate
hottuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 10:56   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottuna View Post
Yes I have maneuvered with outboards on Jon Boats and Zodiacs. They work great. The Perkins and weight of the Perkins is calculated as ballast as well as the diesel tanks that serve the engines fueling requirements. All ballast and securely fasten to your vessel. (not gasoline)
It is very important to remember the Perkins alternator will help keep the beer cold if you have 12 volt refrigeration.
Most important item on the vessel is the AUTO PILOT. Need alternator for this.
Please let me know how that outboard worked for you?
Cheers Mate
an outboard of any size has an alternator as well:-):-):-):-)
My 9.9 Suzuki on my defender has a15 amp output . My refer only takes 3 amps when running .
When transiting canals you can't use autopilot .
Btw my boat originally had an atomic A4 gasoline .
The outboard will work e to get down the canal system to home port where they can get the 4-108 repaired.
Old 27-07-2020, 11:17   #87
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Laughing at using AP in the Erie Canal. I bet it might even work in the Chambly as well if coming down from Montreal - if it was REALLY accurate

But that would be the long way around.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 07:35   #88

Giggles, thanks no offense meant but I'm trying my best to get through a financial squeeze. You're right of course. I grew up watching boats made at derektors in mamaroneck but never had the privilege of your experiences. Thanks for your input.
Lawrence plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 07:55   #89

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence plante View Post
Giggles, thanks no offense meant but I'm trying my best to get through a financial squeeze. You're right of course. I grew up watching boats made at derektors in mamaroneck but never had the privilege of your experiences. Thanks for your input.
Good you are taking it positively. The members here are usually sane enough to provide you with a good idea on what to do and especially on what not to do. Hope you were at least able to navigate among some of the ‘too creative’ suggestions here - some of us are locked in these days and really need some excitement.
*** as for the financial situation you’re at, the best advice I can give you is to repair the diesel (try to ask around for a good and honest mechanic) or do nothing at this point. Any other direction will cost you much more.
Old 28-07-2020, 09:00   #90

Yes, this is l plante, owner of bf42. It's expediency. I need a backup and I own an extra long shaft 9.8 tohatsu that I used on my '72 ranger 26. Damn good engine. I appreciate to all the blogs, no one is hurting my feelings. I'm worried about the weakness of stern but will use oversized as angles and 1/2" plate to brick kraphouse it. I'm an economist not an engineer though. But, I will rebuild engine back in home port. I just have to fix keel bolts and get the heck out of Erie PA. Godforsaken place
Lawrence plante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard